Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,284

3 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question about mites

I know everybody does their best to never get mites in their collection. But when i see any animal shows that involve snakes the wild snakes they catch often times have mites and ticks on them. Im talking adult snakes that are eating well from the looks of it. My question is why are mites looked at with so much negativity when wild snakes do fine with ticks and mites. And they dont have a steady supply of weekly feedings. Dont get me wrong I hope i never see a single mite ever just wondering exactly why its so bad.

Thanks
    In the wild, snakes get away from mites when they shed. That doesn't happen in captivity, the snakes just end up getting reinfested and the mites just end up spreading to the rest of your collection if you aren't careful.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Question about mites

Mites can carry disease and parasites. They can be vectors like fleas. Not to mention anemia if there is a huge infestation on a small or young animal. Its best to control and exterminate them before they get out of control.

And its just better hygiene and probably more comfortable for the animal to be mite free anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 09-28-2013 at 10:18 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (09-28-2013),CrystalRose (09-28-2013)

Thanks

Re: Question about mites

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Mites can carry disease and parasites. They can be vectors like fleas. Not to mention anemia if there is a huge infestation on a small or young animal. Its best to control and exterminate them before they get out of control.

And its just better hygiene and probably more comfortable for the animal to be mite free anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    x2. and it is very important to check any animal very closely before you buy it, if you are buying at a reptile expo. also be sure to check your hands very carefully every time you handle any animal at an expo. the last thing you want to do is to pass mites to someone elses animals...but most breeders will make you use mite killer or hand sanitizer on your hands before you handle their animals(I know I do!...I use mite killer because I don't believe hand sanitizer always kills them)...also that is another reason to quarantine any new animals in a separate room. a few mites can turn into thousands very quickly and infest a whole collection in a matter of no time. and once a large, or even medium collection is infested, it can be very difficult to wipe them out, unless you are very meticulous. you do not want any chances of disease spreading to the rest of your collection. there are very many reasons you do not want mites. ticks are very less likely, but they do show up on occasion. it is just best to be VERY careful on your selection of your animals and be meticulous in your quarantine routine, and chances are good that you will never bring mites into your home. the only way that you are not certain, is by getting an animal third person or by an online deal, where the animal is shipped to your house or facility...but even then, you should know within seconds of pulling the animal out...if it has mites or not. so ultimately, you should never bring mites into your collection. and with some careful husbandry practice...it is very easy NOT to bring mites into your collection. look for dusty looking powder(white dust) on the snakes face and check your hands after handling an animal. they are very easy to spot, especially on lighter colored animals and albinos. darker animals are a little harder to spot, but by looking for the dust(mite poop), and checking your hands...mites are pretty easy to spot. just be careful and you will never bring in snake mites.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    All new additions should be quarantined and treated for mites regardless if they have any or not. It's a good preventative measure and practice to keep your resident collection safe.