Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,065

0 members and 3,065 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Is there a point to having normal ball pythons? + breeding question

Hi all, so i have a male super pastel ball python i just picked up, he's still tiny however, and i also have a male cinnamon. I'm picking up a female mojave this week and the breeder is gonna give me a free male ball python, is it even worth it to take it? i'm just wondering breeding wise what is the use for having a normal?

also, should i breed my super or cinnamon to the mojave when she is ready? or are there any other cheaper morphs (less than 500) you guys think i should pick up to pair with the mojave?

thanks

Thanks
    Female normals are very useful but males not so much. I would pass on it personally if you are looking at it for breeding. Plus you are already male heavy according to your post.

Thanks

Re: Is there a point to having normal ball pythons? + breeding question

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Female normals are very useful but males not so much. I would pass on it personally if you are looking at it for breeding. Plus you are already male heavy according to your post.

what would female normals be used for?

Thanks

Normal males have little use in breeding.. I myself have teo normals malea that are joth lovely pets but breeding no.. unless you want a pet i would pass. I will say though my second favorite snakes behind my Albino Retic is my normal males BP. Look beyond the snakes as just breeding toola or mobey makers and remember they arr life lobg pets that just need some love.

Not bashing you, please don't takw it that way... I just thibk to maby keepers are blinded hy a quick buck and breedibg only that they forget why we loce this hobby
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeion97 For This Useful Post:

decensored (09-25-2013),GreyFeather (09-25-2013)

Thanks
    female normals would be great for adding new blood to projects and strengthening the line. they are also good for doing incomplete dominant and dominant projects with. they are also good for using when you want to make just hets...say if you have a dominant animal that is also a visual recessive animal, and you don't want to make the dominant trait visible in your hets...so in other words, to breed traits OUT of certain projects. a normal female has many uses in any breeding projects. I think they are under utilized honestly...but one of the biggest uses is simply strengthening bloodlines by adding new and fresh blood lines. too much inbreeding can and does cause problems, and normals can help that a lot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickm For This Useful Post:

purlaze (09-24-2013),verhoykennels (09-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    female normals would be great for adding new blood to projects and strengthening the line. they are also good for doing incomplete dominant and dominant projects with. they are also good for using when you want to make just hets...say if you have a dominant animal that is also a visual recessive animal, and you don't want to make the dominant trait visible in your hets...so in other words, to breed traits OUT of certain projects. a normal female has many uses in any breeding projects. I think they are under utilized honestly...but one of the biggest uses is simply strengthening bloodlines by adding new and fresh blood lines. too much inbreeding can and does cause problems, and normals can help that a lot.
    x2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Normal males have little use in breeding.. I myself have teo normals malea that are joth lovely pets but breeding no.. unless you want a pet i would pass. I will say though my second favorite snakes behind my Albino Retic is my normal males BP. Look beyond the snakes as just breeding toola or mobey makers and remember they arr life lobg pets that just need some love.

Not bashing you, please don't takw it that way... I just thibk to maby keepers are blinded hy a quick buck and breedibg only that they forget why we loce this hobby
    all two of my ball pythons i've raised from babies as pets, which is why i have males, i wasn't ever planning on getting into breeding until recently. I agree they are wonderful pets, i've yet to be bitten by both of them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post

makes sense! thanks

Thanks
    glad I could help

Thanks
    instead of saying things like "Female normals are very useful but males not so much" or "Normal males have little use in breeding", i would go one step further and say:

never breed normal males because it makes sense to breed genetically more powerful males to genetically less powerful females. i cannot think of a single situation where breeding a normal male makes sense.

if you can get a free normal female, take it. combos like jigsaw, bee, or pewter, can produce more jigsaws, bees, or pewters, when bred to just a normal female.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

verhoykennels (09-24-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast