Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,736

1 members and 1,735 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Request: Wikipedia needs some open-source pictures of high-end morphs

Hi there

The background story: I am a bit disappointed that the wikipedia article about ball pythons doesnt talk about morphs, and doesnt have nice pictures of morphs. I inquired why that is, and the wikipedians told me that once you start talking about morphs, that section tends to get bloated out of proportions, so they limit themselves to mentioning that breeders work with a variety of color and pattern mutations.

But the good news is that with big professional breeders like BHB and NERD and many others, the topic is noteworthy because of its economic significance. So we can have a stand alone article about ball python morphs and morph breeding

However there is one problem. The wikimedia commons have not enough pictures of nice morph combos! There are plenty of pictures of normals, and a few pictures of a base morph like albino. But there is not one nice picture of a nice high-end multi-gene combo to be found.

So i am asking you, the community, if you have some good high-quality pictures that you would be willing to release under a creative commons license with attribution. They would stay on the wikipedia commons most likely forever, and will forever be attributed to you and/or your breeding operation / company. The pictures may be used in any language-version of Wikipedia, and may be used for other non-commercial purposes, like in education.

So the advantage is that you can hotlink to the images forever and from anywhere (it doubles as an excellent filehoster), and your image may get some prominence by getting featured in wikipedia articles or by being used in education or for other non-commercial purposes, and it will be attributed to you. (if you upload to services like imageshack, in the worst case you forfeit ownership as you accept the AGBs.)

You can also allow commercial use, and you can also go all the way to Copyleft, then the picture is truly free for all and people can even use it without attribution. But for wikipedia, a non-commercial attribution creative commons license would be just fine.

Here is how it works: Post pictures that you own, of BPs you own, and tell me that you own them and under what license / under what conditions you want to share them with Wikipedia. Image metadata, like what camera has been used, exposure time, filters, etc, is also helpful. For the nicest images, i would do the upload to the wikimedia commons and make sure it gets the correct copyright license.

Details will get figured out as we go along, and since several people can edit the metadata of the same file until its all fine, this is perfect for collaboration Any help will help ^^ Roadblocks we may run into will get resolved as we meet them. Maybe we need to make it more official and set up accounts as wikimedia contributors for those willing to share images, maybe we dont, we will figure it out.

You can see what images the wikimedia commons currently have (EDIT: And our progress as we go along!) by going here:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Python_regius

I see only a mediocre image of a spider and one OK image of an albino so far. So lets plump it up a bit with some breathtaking images of nice combos!
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 09-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    come on guys, there must be some people here that would like digital immortality for some of their pictures

if we dont screw up on technicalities and the pictures are nice they will stay there, with attribution to you, forever, or until wikipedia and/or the wikimedia foundation fail and go away. Which is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Thanks
    /bump

this lovely burm from the wikimedia commons would like to see some nice pictures of BP morphs in the wikimedia commons: