Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,241

3 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: strike one?

Thanks

Exclamation strike one?

So I was checking Luna's humidity and it was low, I just got her a couple weeks ago from a couple I used to work with and they didn't have a spray bottle. I did what micky had done and was manually spreading water by flicking it around with my fingers (its the only way till pay day, I would of bought it last pay day but I bought her a new cage, so this week on pay day I'm definitely getting one.) Any how, when I was trying to wet down the cage she kinda had her head out and I hadn't noticed until she struck at me. I'm not sure weather she was agitated by the water or if she's hungry (which looking at her now seems like shes looking for food) but I just fed her a pinkie mouse about three days ago. I know that a pinkie is small considering her size (4 and a quarter inches around & 34" long) but I dont want to over feed her by getting her something too early. Should I wait a few more days perhaps? (I also fed her a small sized mouse about 6 days before the pinkie) I have some medium sized mice right now and I'm wondering if I should feed her one or not and then set the once every two weeks cycle that most bp owners seem to be satisfied with, or to hang on and let her be for now. Please help!!! Also any suggestions for size's of mice right now would be welcome. I tried asking the guy at the pet store and he tried to give me pinkie mice...
    Last edited by LunaTheBp; 09-18-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    I personally would go with one the same size as the widest part of her girth. And I would do it weekly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

Hazardous_Pink (09-22-2013),LunaTheBp (09-18-2013)

Thanks

Re: strike one?

And for right now? she keeps poking her head out of her hide and looking at me like she's hungry and I'm mean for teasing her... how big around are large mice? and the biggest part of her is four and a quarter inches around.

Thanks
    When I first got my girl she was 94g, somewhere between 16 and 18 inches long, and I was giving her hopper mice. Pinkie, way too small. using a fabric tape measure to see what 4 1/4 inches looks like exactly, I'd say that seems about the size of the Jumbo mice Yuki is getting (although she gets 3 a feeding because she should be on rats right now...). A large mouse should not be too big. If you have a food scale, weigh her and give her a prey item that is between 10-15% of her body weight once a week (or multiple slightly smaller prey items that together add up to that like Yuki and her three mice). The once every 2 weeks is once they get to adult size and are no longer growing, and you just want them to maintain the weight they are currently at so they don't get overweight.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Himitsu For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (09-18-2013),LunaTheBp (09-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At that size I would be feeding a couple of adult size mice or a small rat every week.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (09-18-2013)

Thanks

x2 I agree with Crazymonkee.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rcjgm5 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (09-18-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LunaTheBp View Post
    And for right now? she keeps poking her head out of her hide and looking at me like she's hungry and I'm mean for teasing her... how big around are large mice? and the biggest part of her is four and a quarter inches around.
    I wouldn't do anything lower than the medium mice. It should show a small lump in the stomach of the snake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4