Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

0 members and 3,125 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crackpots

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts
    I could post stories all day of folks that wasted my time no matter how great of a deal was offered. With any type of sales it's a numbers game, lots of inquiries leads to a couple of sales, that's just the way it is. The reality is most folks who contact you really want a snake but they don't have the money so they want pics and ask questions. The ones who really have the money and want it are the bang bang sales, "you still have the reptile, yes, here is the $" done. I have had local folks tell me I'll meet you Tuesday at some location I definitely want it and come Tuesday the won't answer your confirmation calls.

I recently had a guy contact me several times on a Thurs and Friday and wanted to by a large group of adult snakes to ship Monday so I had to buy an insulated box big enough to fit them all in figuring he would paypal the $ over the weekend. Come Monday he wouldn't return my calls emails and texts and then I check his Facebook page and he has made several posts with some trying to sell my animals before he even got them to raise the $, lol. Then when I finally told him I sold a few to other folks that wanted them and sent payment he finally responded and was angry because I sold snakes from his order! I politely told him it's not an order until it's paid for.

Until the cash is in your hand it's just another inquiry, nothing more, nothing less. Welcome to sales
    Last edited by West Coast Jungle; 09-17-2013 at 11:54 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (10-06-2013),dr del (09-18-2013),Pyrate81 (09-18-2013)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Crackpots

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    I could post stories all day of folks that wasted my time no matter how great of a deal was offered. With any type of sales it's a numbers game, lots of inquiries leads to a couple of sales, that's just the way it is. The reality is most folks who contact you really want a snake but they don't have the money so they want pics and ask questions. The ones who really have the money and want it are the bang bang sales, "you still have the reptile, yes, here is the $" done. I have had local folks tell me I'll meet you Tuesday at some location I definitely want it and come Tuesday the won't answer your confirmation calls.

I recently had a guy contact me several times on a Thurs and Friday and wanted to by a large group of adult snakes to ship Monday so I had to buy an insulated box big enough to fit them all in figuring he would paypal the $ over the weekend. Come Monday he wouldn't return my calls emails and texts and then I check his Facebook page and he has made several posts with some trying to sell my animals before he even got them to raise the $, lol. Then when I finally told him I sold a few to other folks that wanted them and sent payment he finally responded and was angry because I sold snakes from his order! I politely told him it's not an order until it's paid for.

Until the cash is in your hand it's just another inquiry, nothing more, nothing less. Welcome to sales
    HO LY CRAP!! That's Sooo freaking insane! I can't believe he actually got mad at you! Some people are crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts

Re: Crackpots

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    One other tip i would add is regarding delivery. If you are willing to deliver, make a certain mileage cutoff. Or, charge a delivery fee. Lets face it, gas aint exactly .99/gallon anymore. Its more than fair to charge at least a small delivery fee.
    Actually I would drive a fair distance on the weekend without charging any additional fee to avoid having to ship, but that's because if I shipped I'd have to factor in time off of work as well, and I'm quite tight with my vacation hours.
    Last edited by bcr229; 09-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

My ball python babies aren't even BORN yet and somehow, I'm in a nice little frustrating mess with buyers. I acquired some baby corn snakes from someone who couldn't care for them. Most of the corns were in eggs when I received them. I got then shed and eating and am now trying to sell them (dirt cheap) on several venues. Facebook and Craigslist (surprisingly) have been the best for these babies. I've gotten so many inquiries. However, I've been stood up by 5 different people who have all made arrangements to meet me on X Day. I give a call/text/e-mail that day and most make up some sob story about how they have to see their uncle, they have an emergency bill to pay, etc. I understand things come up...but this is 5 different people and one has stood me up 3 different times!

From now on, I don't hold babies. I require a deposit before I will hold anything. If they aren't willing to pay a deposit, then I'm assuming they don't want the animal. A lot of time I just have to smile and nod.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BHReptiles View Post
    My ball python babies aren't even BORN yet and somehow, I'm in a nice little frustrating mess with buyers. I acquired some baby corn snakes from someone who couldn't care for them. Most of the corns were in eggs when I received them. I got then shed and eating and am now trying to sell them (dirt cheap) on several venues. Facebook and Craigslist (surprisingly) have been the best for these babies. I've gotten so many inquiries. However, I've been stood up by 5 different people who have all made arrangements to meet me on X Day. I give a call/text/e-mail that day and most make up some sob story about how they have to see their uncle, they have an emergency bill to pay, etc. I understand things come up...but this is 5 different people and one has stood me up 3 different times!

From now on, I don't hold babies. I require a deposit before I will hold anything. If they aren't willing to pay a deposit, then I'm assuming they don't want the animal. A lot of time I just have to smile and nod.
    Why don't you just sell them as a group to a local pet store?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Most of the pet stores near me want you to be on their "wholesale" list and they already have enough suppliers. The mom and pop shops (I called three that I know of) that sell exotics aren't really giving me a straight answer. Believe me, I tried that a week ago I may have a table at the next repticon so if they are still there, I'll try to sell them that way as well. Tough market around here for corns, that's for sure!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Really?? Cuz my store buys nice corns from local people all the time. I also dont hold any animals unless that person is a friend. Working in a pet store and from personal experience, i learned real quick that a "First come, First served" policy is the best one to have

sent from my incubator
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 09-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Would you really sell them to pet store knowing full well they don't take care of them properly???
    Sorry I would not

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Would you really sell them to pet store knowing full well they don't take care of them properly???
    Sorry I would not

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    I beg to differ, crazy....i work in a pet store. I personally take care of all our reptiles. Not ALL pet stores neglect their animals ive seen customers neglect their animals AND children far more than the pet stores ive worked in.

sent from my incubator
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 09-18-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (09-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    Really?? Cuz my store buys nice corns from local people all the time.
    Aren't you close to me? PM me the name of the shop please!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Sorry I would not
    There is one shop in my area that I wouldn't sell to at all. I've not even tried to contact them. I don't even look at their table at shows. However...it's getting to the point where I would like them gone so I can make room for all the BP babies that I would rather spend my time on. So who knows? At some point, I have to put away my reservations to do what's best for my hobby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast