Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

2 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Possibly looking at a new snake... give me your thoughts

I have a 29 gallon terrarium with a screen lid (that's 30" L x 17" high x 13" deep) free in my classroom. I was going to use it for my cuban knight anole, but I picked up a used 24"x18" ET that he went into. So I think I would like to put an arboreal display snake into the 29 and make it "naturalistic" with plants and such. I need something that will be comfortable in that size tank for life (I could possibly upgrade 2-3 years down the road) and that will be tolerant of the "motion" of a classroom of respectful HS students. My students like to watch and look at the animals, but aren't of the type to bang on glass, poke at it, etc. This tank in particular sits up high on two file cabinets and all they can really do is view from afar. But I don't want an animal that would be too spooked to feed in a classroom environment (like a dumerils).

I figure there are three big varieties of arboreal constrictor-- the ETB, the ATB and the GTP. I don't know a whole lot about any of them, except general care and feeding. Would any of these be appropriate for this environment? If you have a suggestion for an animal I've not thought of, also let me know.

I have no expectations of anyone handling this animal, except for occasional cage cleanings, for which I am happy to hook, so temperament isn't an issue. I know the arboreals can be bitey.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    That size would only be suitable for juvie~sub-adult ETB/GTP/ATB, but it's a little short in depth and height for the majority of adults to live in permanently. It could work if you can find an extra small male GTP or ATB. ETB's are much bigger. I'm actually looking for a small GTP male myself.

If you're fixed on an arboreal-ish snake, rough green snakes would work, but I don't know much about their husbandry or temperament other than their size LOL. They eat insects.

Also, I wouldn't say a dumeril's would be too spooked to feed in a classroom at all. My dum will eat anything, anywhere. Juvies of any species are generally easy to spook. My ball pythons are harder to feed than her.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 02-06-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I think they arboreal snakes you brought up will outgrow a 29-gal tank in short order. They also get stressed pretty easily.

For what you want and the tank you have, look into the smaller colubrids like a male king snake. A high white California king will stand out nicely if you put dark décor in the tank.

Thanks

Re: Possibly looking at a new snake... give me your thoughts

I have a Cali King and she just hides all the time. I was looking more for something that could be a display animal.

Any other animals stick out?? Lizards?
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

Thanks
    I wonder if I could do something with a water feature and keep a garter in the tank? What say you all about that? Are garters fairly outgoing for display purposes?

View My iHerp Page

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
    I wonder if I could do something with a water feature and keep a garter in the tank? What say you all about that? Are garters fairly outgoing for display purposes?
    Mine are not. After three years the only way they'd be "outgoing" is if they could get out of the tank to go outside and disappear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Mine are not. After three years the only way they'd be "outgoing" is if they could get out of the tank to go outside and disappear.
    So perhaps a rough green snake would be the way to go. I am going to need to research them, though. Don't know a lot about them.

View My iHerp Page

Thanks

Two out of three of my checkered garters are pretty outgoing. One of the two comes up to the glass every time I come over. All three are eternally hopeful that I will be feeding them, so they flick their tongues against the glass and then scooch their faces up it.

They were actually even pretty interested the time the cat I was fostering jumped up on the dresser their tank is on (Cat got yelled at and got off immediately - she also was never trusted to be in the same room alone). They also spend a decent amount of time climbing around on things, especially after they've just been fed because they're hoping for more food.

Basically, they're fat little kiddos and food is their #1 concern at all times, so they're visible a lot and get over anything they don't like really quickly because maybe there's food. They're not underfed - two of them are unfortunately chubby even, which I'm working on. It's just how they are.

Every snake will have its own personality, but it's definitely at least within the range of possibility for CB garters to be good display snakes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally love Kings, but yes, they do tend to stay hidden. I have been looking into getting a hognose as my next snake. I don't know a whole lot about them, I'm in the very early research stages now, but I think they might work well for what you're looking for. They are pretty small, so I believe a 29 would be fine for life. Also, from what I understand they are pretty active during the day, so might be great for a classroom setting.
    Again, I know very little about hognoses, so you'd need to do your homework. They are definitely a fascinating species from my limited experience with them.

Thanks
    My Western hognose is very active during the day and a male could stay in that tank for life. I wouldn't bother putting a water feature in with a hog though
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-06-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast