Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

3 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    I bought a "Fluker's Porcelain Clamp Lamp" for Amy (my bp) and Im using a 40 watt black bulb, after it heats up it lets off this weird "hot smell" and its almost enough to give me a headache and Im sure if it bothers me it'd brother Amy? and do any of you use this brand and maybe know why its letting off an odor?

Also, Im using a human heating pad with a low/medium/high setting and I usually keep it on medium which gets the bottom of the tank to like 90 degrees, however, Im scared to leave it on all night because I think it might start a fire or something..

What I've done so far is keep the pad on all day till like 1am, and then turn it off for the night. The temp inside the tank (ambient temp) stays about 85 degrees without any source of heat at all, so is this okay to do? cause Im scared of the lamp too with that strange smell..

Please help!
    Im untouchable but Im forcin you to feel me!

0.2.0 Dogs - Snuggles and Nina
    0.1.0 Cat - Tuna
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Amy
    0.0.1 Aztec Cali King - Chompers

Thanks

Chondro Fever?

I'd get rid of the lamp with the strange smell. If it's gonna give you a headache, I'm sure it could do some damage to the bp. As for the human heat pad, I'm sure it's safe to keep it on all night. Most/all of us do, and I don't think I've ever heard of a fire risk with them. I think those reptile heat pads run more of a risk.
    2.0 python regius - Ace(pastel) and Pelota(cross-dresser )

Thanks
    I use the same type lamp and everyone I have gotten lets off that burning smell at first. It should stop after the lamp has been on for about 24 hrs.
    If the smell bothers you go put it outside or another room and let it run, it should go away if not take it back and return it.
    As for the heating pad as long as the temps don't increase it is ok to leave on 24/7 as most of us do.
    I was a little freaked at first about leaving things running also but just make sure you use proper cords and don't overload outlets and everything should be fine.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    it is fine to leave your heat pad on all day & all nite so long as you make sure that there is either room between the pad & the surface your tank is resting on, or your pad & the tank itself. As long as there is a place for the extra built up heat to escape, you shouldn't need to worry about a fire
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?