Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

1 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,544
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

Arrow New Baby Moquards Beauty Snake

Hi everyone! I just got a baby Moquards Beauty Snake. The first time I saw a Taiwan Beauty online I fell in love. I really never have thought to owning one because my other two snakes came from a nature center. I was at repticon over the weekend and there had to be thousands of snakes and I kept looking around entranced by all these snakes and I had no idea what to choose until I saw my little guy at the back of this table with some of his albino siblings. I immediately fell in love. He's beautiful and I would post a picture if I wasn't on my phone. Anyway, he was the largest of his siblings and he really wanted to be free of his tiny carrier! He seemed very healthy, the breeder was a nice guy and was able to answer all my questions. Unfortunately, I was so excited I forgot to ask some pretty important questions and that's why I'm here.

First, there is a good deal of information online about Taiwan Beauties, but not much about Moquards. What makes them different from Taiwans?

Also, I've been reading that they can be very aggressive or shy snakes. Mine has shown no signs of aggression. He was of course a little flighty, but he's in a new place and in a much larger tank than he was in (now in a 20 gallon long). He's already settling in though and seems very curious and content after only two days. He also shed PERFECTLY the day after I got him. I'm going to be handling him almost every day except when he has eaten. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Do they live up to their "mean" reputation? Is there anything I should know about handling these guys and making them comfortable other than the basics (support body weight, make them feel comfortable, etc)?

Not considering species, what is the best way to handle a baby and make it trust you and feel comfortable? I haven't worked with babies really. My other two were adults and the ball python was extremely sick (much better now!) so I know the handling will be different. I'm letting him settle in but I want to start working with him soon.

How often should I feed? I want him to get big and be well fed, but not obese or unhealthy. I've got him some pinkies for when I do feed him. I've heard all different amounts of time for the feedings of babies so I'm a little confused.

Anyway, thank you for the help in advance! I'll post a picture of him when I get on my computer. Also, if you'd like to throw in some name suggestions I'd love that too!
    Last edited by Tavers; 09-09-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

Re: New Baby Moquards Beauty Snake

Last edited by Tavers; 09-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    The pictures worked.

I know nothing about these guys, so I can't help, but they are really cool looking.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Really pretty snake, judging by its similarity in appearance to the Taiwanese Beauty Snake, I'd definetely say its a subspecies
    0.1 Black & White Argentine Tegu
    2.0 Yellow Ackies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just in case you didn't see my post in your other thread, I wouldn't put a hot spot of over 85 in there. All the beauty snake care sheets that I've read agree that too hot isn't good.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Thanks Guys! I know there isn't much info about them out there, but I do appreciate the help and comments.