Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,428

3 members and 3,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: possible R.I?

Thanks

possible R.I?

So tonight I had Ollie out for a bit, and he was weaving through my fingers. At one point I looked up and saw bubbles coming from his mouth area. I don't know where exactly because he yawned and they disappeared. At the time I had his lower half in my hand, and he was periscoping. He quickly yawned 2 or 3 more times and then kept his mouth slightly open, yawned again, and had the tip of his tongue out. Then he was fine.

I had been holding him for an hour and he just all of a sudden did it. I also noticed a slight popping noise from his nose but it doesn't do it all the time.

My temps are great, 85-90 basking, 92 on heat mat, humidity at 65 at all times. Even 55 some times. I have him on a half inch of repti bark, and some fake exo Terra vines for look.

Should I be worried? I cleaned out his cage immediately and he seemed fine. Just slithering around and drank water. The other thing I noticed was his water bowl was VERY slimy. Even though I just cleaned it. Is that normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: possible R.I?

Quote Originally Posted by greenacid View Post
    So tonight I had Ollie out for a bit, and he was weaving through my fingers. At one point I looked up and saw bubbles coming from his mouth area. I don't know where exactly because he yawned and they disappeared. At the time I had his lower half in my hand, and he was periscoping. He quickly yawned 2 or 3 more times and then kept his mouth slightly open, yawned again, and had the tip of his tongue out. Then he was fine.

I had been holding him for an hour and he just all of a sudden did it. I also noticed a slight popping noise from his nose but it doesn't do it all the time.

My temps are great, 85-90 basking, 92 on heat mat, humidity at 65 at all times. Even 55 some times. I have him on a half inch of repti bark, and some fake exo Terra vines for look.

Should I be worried? I cleaned out his cage immediately and he seemed fine. Just slithering around and drank water. The other thing I noticed was his water bowl was VERY slimy. Even though I just cleaned it. Is that normal?
    The hotspot should be 88-92, 85 seems a bit low because that means your cool side temp is probably in the high 70's but I could be wrong. Your humidity is fine, though I prefer low 60's but that's not always possible. As far as the substrate goes I'm not a fan of repti bark, I prefer Aspen personally but whatever gets the job done fine. It could possibly be a RI but a diagnosis over the net is going to be a guess at best. I'd say a qualified vet would be the best bet, but I've dealt with a RI before from taking in a sick animal and I managed to beat it on my own by slightly bumping up the temps in general but I was lucky enough to catch it very very early. I wouldn't recommend anybody really trying this because overheating will kill a snake faster then anything.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    The hotspot should be 88-92, 85 seems a bit low because that means your cool side temp is probably in the high 70's but I could be wrong. Your humidity is fine, though I prefer low 60's but that's not always possible. As far as the substrate goes I'm not a fan of repti bark, I prefer Aspen personally but whatever gets the job done fine. It could possibly be a RI but a diagnosis over the net is going to be a guess at best. I'd say a qualified vet would be the best bet, but I've dealt with a RI before from taking in a sick animal and I managed to beat it on my own by slightly bumping up the temps in general but I was lucky enough to catch it very very early. I wouldn't recommend anybody really trying this because overheating will kill a snake faster then anything.
    He has no other symptoms though. I've been watching him for 2 hours now and not one sneeze. But he's yawned a few times. Also, I have an ACU rite. With the thermometer on the cold side and probe over the UTH. So I'm guessing 85 means its about 85

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenacid View Post
    He has no other symptoms though. I've been watching him for 2 hours now and not one sneeze. But he's yawned a few times. Also, I have an ACU rite. With the thermometer on the cold side and probe over the UTH. So I'm guessing 85 means its about 85
    What I was saying though is that 85 on the basking is a bit low, ideal would be 88-92. I'd just monitor him for now and if you see any other signs then I'd take him to a vet. But make sure you bump up your basking temps and keep an eye out.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)