Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,314

3 members and 1,311 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Thanks

Hello!

Hey, everyone. My name is Erik and I'm 16 years old. I got into reptiles only about 7 months ago, and at this point I know that it's something I will be passionate about for the rest of my life. I own five snakes at the moment. 1.0.0 Ball Python 0.0.1 Corn snake [Snow] 1.1.0 BCI [Pastel Salmon] [Normal], and 0.1.0 Dumeril's.
    My Ball was born some time in 2012 or 2013. I got him from a large chain pet store, which I am no longer fond of. He's 290 grams, confirmed male. I bought him on June 2, 2013. on July 4, 2013, my friend was out lighting fireworks and he found a Corn [Snow] in an apartment complex! I am not 100% on the sex, but I think it's a female. She weighs in at 250 grams. On August 8th, I bought my first BCI [Female - Pastel Salmon] born May 14, 2013. I bought my second [Male - Normal] born June, 21, 2013, at an Expo on the 17th. I bought my first Dumeril's just yesterday, 9/7/'13! All of my snakes are small/young, except for my Dumeril's. My Dumeril's is approx 6' long, and weighs in at 23.7 LBS exactly. Weighed three times on two scales for accuracy.
    I plan on buying another Dum's and breeding. Since I have my pair of BCI's, and if I get a male Dumeril's, I feel that those will be good snakes to start off my career/hobby as a breeder, and owner.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First off welcome to the forums.

You've made quite the random jump from species to species. That's awesome but I will say that while you've not encountered any bad experiences with any of your snakes so far you should still be cautious. This goes more towards your dumerils boa that is 6'. I know they can get pretty hefty so you need to take caution when dealing with him. I always recommend the rule of once a boa or python that get's to a decent size of 6' and can get thicker around you should always have a 2nd person nearby when you take them out. While some people may be able to stop a 6' snake from coiling all it takes is for you to get caught off guard and you can end up paying for it or putting a bad mark on the hobby. So please take caution when dealing with your Dumerils. A general rule of thumb is that anything over 6 ft you should have somebody nearby.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Raven01 (09-15-2013)

Thanks

Re: Hello!

Thanks, Neal! I take a lot of precautions, and I know to keep someone around because at her size, for example; She held onto my arm for security when I was handling her, and I she wasn't coming off of my arm until she wanted to. I do have a little bit of experience with handling (not owning) Boids. And I've been told that she's very big in weight for being 6', so I am extra careful. I've only held her once, so not to disturb her, but I had my older brother present, and I stroked her a few times with my homemade hook (Golf club + old metal tong welded together), and then waited for about five minutes until I actually put my hand in her enclosure, and then I only stroked her with my hand. Once I knew she was awake, and I saw her tongue flicker a few times, I started to gently get her fat butt out of her enclosure.

Btw: I've been bitten by a few Boids, but nothing serious and not from mine. My Ball Python has bitten me once since I got him, which was my fault, And my Male BCI has a horrible attitude since I've gotten him and he bites me a lot (I'm working on taming him out)
    Last edited by B.O.S Reptiles; 09-09-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.S Reptiles View Post
    Thanks, Neal! I take a lot of precautions, and I know to keep someone around because at her size, for example; She held onto my arm for security when I was handling her, and I she wasn't coming off of my arm until she wanted to. I do have a little bit of experience with handling (not owning) Boids. And I've been told that she's very big in weight for being 6', so I am extra careful. I've only held her once, so not to disturb her, but I had my older brother present, and I stroked her a few times with my homemade hook (Golf club + old metal tong welded together), and then waited for about five minutes until I actually put my hand in her enclosure, and then I only stroked her with my hand. Once I knew she was awake, and I saw her tongue flicker a few times, I started to gently get her fat butt out of her enclosure
    It sounds like you're off to a great start. I'm glad you're taking precaution and I just wanted to exercise it from another standpoint. She sounds like she's definitely a big girl and you should post pictures so we can all admire her. I wouldn't necessarily say somebody has to be right there, well depending on your size but you want to make sure that somebody is within shouting range if you were to ever need help.
    -Venomous-

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

B.O.S Reptiles (09-09-2013)

Thanks

Well I'm 6'0-6'2", 250 LBS, so I can usually handle my own, but it's still comforting to have someone close, just in case. I am unable to upload images but I'll try this real quick.

[IMG]https://sphotos-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...97481770_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://sphotos-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...87867762_n.jpg[/IMG]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to B.O.S Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Neal (09-09-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.S Reptiles View Post
    Well I'm 6'0-6'2", 250 LBS, so I can usually handle my own, but it's still comforting to have someone close, just in case. I am unable to upload images but I'll try this real quick.

[IMG]https://sphotos-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...97481770_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://sphotos-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...87867762_n.jpg[/IMG]
    Very nice.

Yea but trust me when I tell you if that snake wraps around your neck and catches your arm and pins it to your head that one free arm no matter how strong you are isn't going to make a difference, especially if you can't reach the head. Just saying

But yea, you should be fine but never underestimate a snake.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    never underestimate a snake.
    I never have, and I never will

11. The Following User Says Thank You to B.O.S Reptiles For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Did you ever end up getting your thermostats that you were supposed to get before the boas, and then bought them instead? Just curious since you went out and got another snake before making sure your first BP was even properly housed.
    1.0 Spider Ball "Caladran Brood"
    1.0 Pastel Ball "Pearl"
    1.0 Normal Het Leopard Boa "Anomander"
    1.0 Salmon Jungle DH Ghost Poss Super Salmon "Andarist"
    0.1 Crested Gecko, "Venesara"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Valvaren For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (09-13-2013)

Thanks

Hello!

Only 6' and 23lbs? That sounds a bit heavy to me. My biggest female BCI is 8.25' long and only 18lbs an she is a healthy weight.

What kind of scale did you weigh her on 3 times?

Sent From an Enclosure
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda
    -1.0 Yellow Anaconda

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive hobby View Post
    Only 6' and 23lbs? That sounds a bit heavy to me. My biggest female BCI is 8.25' long and only 18lbs an she is a healthy weight.

What kind of scale did you weigh her on 3 times?

Sent From an Enclosure
    I'm not 100% sure on the brand/model. Every few weeks I take a 20 LB weight, and weigh it to test accuracy, so I trust it. I do the same with my gram scale, but I use a 2 LB weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast