Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,544

3 members and 2,541 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

considering breeding this season

Hi there,
    I've been lurking on this site for a while and I've posted a couple times... I think... but I'm considering breeding my normal male bp this season. Now before anyone asks yes I have done all the research on what it entails and I am fully prepared for if I can not sell all the babies, if I decide to sell them all. I'm considering doing one pairing for one clutch because I figure that is a safe bet for a first time breeder. My question is what would be a good morph to start out with? Now I know that is probably a VERY loaded question, but I'm just kinda looking for opinions and I appreciate any response I get. Thank you in advance.

~Artemisace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    A spider or pastel female would not run you a lot of money and would be a good starter morph.

I personally would not encourage breeding a normal male but you are welcome to do as you please.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (08-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 625 Posts
    There are a whole bunch of proven breeder females on the market right now... A pinstripe would be a nice, reasonably priced choice

5. The Following User Says Thank You to liv For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (08-23-2013)

Thanks

Re: considering breeding this season

Thanks for the advice, but why would you not suggest breeding a normal male? Is it because about half the babies would be normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    There is nothing inherently wrong with breeding a normal male - I'm sure he'll appreciate the opportunity. Having said that, it does not make economical sense for breeders to do this. Males can be bred to multiple females during breeding season, so it makes more sense to spread a more diverse male's genes around to the less diverse females than the other way around (from a business perspective).

Also, yes, there is the piece of having 50% normals, but you'd end up with those odds in any single-gene x normal pairing regardless of which parent was the morph.

I say go for it. When/if you get a larger collection, then you can worry about genetically greater males vs females. Have fun!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (08-23-2013),rlditmars (08-23-2013)

Thanks

I see what you're saying and I was told something similar by the shop owner of the place I got my male sexed at. Although he did say that if I was going to breed the male it would probably be a good idea to go with, in his words, the biggest baddest snake I can afford. He then proceeded to point out a two month old lesser queen bee he had for sale and told me something like that would be a good bet, well when she was old enough to breed anyway. Would that be a better idea than just a single morph female x normal male? Or would single gene male x single or multiple gene female be a better suggestion? I feel like I'm asking a lot of dumb questions lol.
    Last edited by Artemisace; 08-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisace View Post
    two month old lesser queen bee.
    It's just called a Queen Bee(lesser/spider/pastel).

Thanks

oh lol thanks, that's the way the guy said it to me so I guess it got stuck in my head that way.

Thanks
    if you wanted to get into seirous breeding you want yor male to have more genetic power than the female(s) he is going to breed although i have put a two gene male with a three gene female once because i didnt want to stretch my male thin it was his first year but for your first year get a single or double gene female breed your male to her you will get addicted and get a better male next year

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jms0620 For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (08-23-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jms0620 View Post
    for your first year get a single or double gene female breed your male to her you will get addicted and get a better male next year
    That made me laugh thanks for the advice, I'd like to get a male with more genes but when I bought him I wasn't sure I wanted to breed. I've already kinda fallen in love with ball pythons so I'm sure if I can produce babies my addiction will only grow lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast