Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

3 members and 2,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Day/Night Cycle

Thanks
    Hey, I'm a newbie to the board and also to Ball Pythons. I haven't got my snake YET but I'm now getting my tank setup before I go purchase a Ball. I've got a pretty small house and not a whole lot of room. So I'll have to put my setup in the living room. I've already have a 20 gal that my wife usually use for fish but she's gonna give it up so I can use it till I can get a bigger tank. I plan on using a heat pad under the tank, and a heat lamp for my heating. Now my question is....what is the proper way to do the day/night lighting cycles??? The tank being in the living room, during the day will be light from the windows coming in...at night, of course it's dark and we always have the lights turned down out there until we go to bed then we turn them completely off. Is that enough for him. At night, I'd like to have some type of light on the tank so I could see in there until I go to bed??? And another question is it being in the living room. Is that a bad idea as far as noise go for him??? I don't really have a choice due to the lack of room. Thanks for any input guys.

Shawn

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Singing Turtle

If you live in a small space you have chosen the best snake. Ball pythons dont require a large tank. A 20 gallon long tank will be a perfect size. I have an adult ball python that lived in one of those tanks all of his life till i moved him to a sterilite. I put this together a while back and he loves it http://www.ball-pythons.net/PNphpBB2...ic-t-2825.html

As far as a day/night cycle you dont need any special lighting. The ambient light will be enough for the snake to know when its day and when its night.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Hi Shawn. A day/night cycle is not necessary for ball pythons. Damien is right, the ambient light from the room will be sufficient, and bright light can stress out BPs since they are naturally nocturnal. If you need to use a lamp in addition to your heat pad, use an infrared bulb. The light will not bother the snake, and you'll be able to observe your snake even when the rest of the room is dark.

As for the placement of the tank in the living room, snakes can't "hear" the way we do, but they do perceive vibration from sound. The sound of your TV or stereo shouldn't bother it as long as they're not played at outrageous levels. If you plan on any big house parties, move the snake to a quieter place in the house, otherwise, it should be fine.

Thanks
    hey, welcome to BP.net!!! for the day/night cycle, i just keep my shades open, and use a red bulb
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Shawn,

First of all, WELCOME! I am glad that you found this place because it is the best place for info on BP's!

Second, you will be fine with your snake in the living room. My little girl (Hissy) stays in our living room (I can relate to havin a small place with limited room) & she is thriving!

Third, as for day/nite cycles, like others have said, the light from the room should do just fine. For starters, make CERTAIN that you don't put your snake in front of a window. During the day when you are out of the home, the sunlight can come into the tank & severely adjust your temps which could really upset your snake. Secondly, what I like to do for Hissy since I am a semi-nocturnal creature myself, is I like to keep a towel on her tank. During the day, I use it to cover much of the top of the tank (I have a screen lid) & I let it hang down over most of the back & one side of the tank. (I also currently have a glass tank) I feel like this gives her a little more secure feeling with not so much open space around her. I let the sunlight & our living room lights provide her "daytime" light. Then, around 11pm or so, I just basically switch where I have the towel. It still covers much (not all cuz i want her to have good circulation of air) of the top but i put it down over the front & on both sides of the tank to give her a "night" effect. I do use a heat lamp to supplement my UTH. The heatlamp I have is an actual red bulb. These are better because the red "party bulbs" are only coated with red paint which will peel & cause bright light which will stress your snake! OK! I have rambled on long enough! Enjoy your snake!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks

Um...yeah hi I'm new

Yep welcome - all these fine folks above have pretty much covered the topic in question quite well. I'll add only that you needn't worry about light cycles unless you are planning on cycling a pair for breeding.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."