Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,088

0 members and 1,088 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

How big are Hatchling ball pythons?

I just got a ball python from a local pet shop and they told me it is a 2013 hatchling and 2 months old... Personally I find it hard to believe a 2 mth old snake is over 30 inches long. Is this possible? Also another thing is that I am having a hard time being able to handle the snake... can anybody give me some pointers on how to tame my new friend? I am by no means scared of ball pythons due to that was our pets growing up and for some reason this one seems more aggressive to me than any I have ever seen. Any advice would be helpful and thank you for your time!

Thanks
    Depends really. Ive had ball pythons hatch out at 30 grams and others at 70. I have a 2 month old that's just under 200grams. 18 inches seems a little long though. But buying from a pet store, you have to take everything with a grain of salt and assume they don't actually know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

Snakeluver (08-16-2013)

Thanks

Re: How big are Hatchling ball pythons?

thank you for helping with your advice. Also do you have any advice on how to tame the snake and get him to let me hold him?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeluver View Post
    thank you for helping with your advice. Also do you have any advice on how to tame the snake and get him to let me hold him?
    Is he showing cage aggression or is it while you are holding him?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Snakeluver (08-23-2013)

Thanks

He is showing cage aggression. I will try to get him out without forcing him and he doesn't want to so I have tried to get him use to me by just petting him in the cage or sitting in front of it for him to get use to me. when I take my hand out of the cage and he opens his mouth to me every time I have done this. My dad seems to think it might be because he was not handled a lot and when the pet shop feed him it was in the cage and could have been the only time the lid was open. The one time I have been able to get him out of the cage he wasn't that aggressive but was very curious and was checking things out while trying to get away from me.

Thanks
    Make sure that he is not hungry. He could be striking because he wants food. He could be striking because, like your father pointed out, the only time something came into his cage was to feed him, so he naturally strikes because he is not accustomed to being held. I would recommend you handle him for short periods of time frequently. The only time that I would not hold one of mine is the night I feed. If a snake eats, I leave it alone until the next day. The most important thing if for you to relax, the baby snake is stressed out thinking you are going to eat him. No sense in both of you being stressed out.

Relax, frequent handlings for short periods of time. Gradually, the snake should start to calm down a little. As they get older, they become a little calmer. Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

Snakeluver (08-23-2013)

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

How big are Hatchling ball pythons?

Wow I definitely don't think your baby is hatchling. My 6 year old female ball python is 30+ inches, but some people at pet stores have no idea what they are talking about especially when it comes to the Reptile section of the store. My hatchling Bumble bee male is almost 2 months old and he is only 18-20 inches and 160 grams. But who knows maybe your hatchling just grows faster than some others.

And for the taming part of your question, my little bumble bee male that I mention was very feisty and snappy! He would strike at me when I walked past his enclosure and he would strike Hard! He wasn't mean he was just being defensive because he was afraid and thought I was a predator. So this is what I did to help calm down my defensive little boy. I got an old soft comfy shirt that I don't ever wear and slept in it for a night. Then I cut two squares out of the shirt and placed them in both of his hides on the bottom. Now whenever he goes inside his hide he smells my scent and associates it with the security of his hide. So now whenever I walk past he either ignores me or just looks at me in curiosity instead of staring at me in strike position. I also started to handle him at night when he was already roaming his home. Since he was already active when I took him out he just continued to be active and not afraid. So all you have to do is get him used to you being around and he will settle down and be as sweet as can be I hope I helped! And hope your big ole' hatchling settles down soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks

Most of my hatchlings are between 12 and 16", and quickly get up to 20" or more in the first couple months.

Try not handling her as much, and get her nice and chunky and well fed. A striking ball python usually sounds to me like an insecure ball python. Make sure she's settled in and feeding well, and try just leaving her along for a couple weeks to relax and chill out a bit. Start small with 5 min or so of handling, and work your way up.

Some snakes never really like or tolerate handling well. She may be one such snake.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.