Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    I guess local was an improper term, perhaps amateur?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wherever you are in Oklahoma, you're close enough to drive down to Arlington for NARBC to experience a large, professional show.

That said, I think there is plenty of room for both types of shows. It's possible that the individuals doing the "Elite" show you talk about are not the friendliest people to host a show, and that would be a shame...but it should not reflect on the attitude of most small, local shows. I've been to many, many different shows of all sizes all over the country. A small handful have been poorly run and allow for some pretty crappy stuff to go on. But MOST of them are run by individuals who want nothing more than to introduce the world to this amazing hobby we're all so passionate about and work hard to support the breeders and businesses that make our hobby possible.

Smaller shows are important for local vendors who may not be able to afford to schlep their animals to the larger venues. And, with just a little coordination and thoughtful planning, having both a Repticon AND a small local show in the same general area can be complimentary to each other and not competitive. There's certainly no reason why a show-goer should feel they have to choose one over the other if they are given a choice.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Re: Local vs Professional shows?

Yeah, it wouldn't be too far to Arlington. I might try to go next time it comes around.

I too think it's entirely possible, and a lot of the people that are talking about both shows, which include both vendors and buyers, are saying they'd do both. But a couple of people, the "elite" of our local herp hobby, feel like it's stepping on toes.

And I'm with you, there's nothing like healthy competition and I can see the value in a locally put together show. I just don't think maybe these people are the ones to do it.

It also doesn't help that now I hear if Repticon comes it will be four shows in about maybe six weeks. And some coincide with other shows in different places on Oct. 5th and 6th.

But, if it does well, more power to them. I may try to go, I just have a strong feeling it's going to be very literally elite.

Thanks

I was following the updates on that post on fb too. Personally, with the exception of a person or two, I have no negative feeling towards any of the people hosting the Oklahoma Elite Expo. Yes, the name sounds a bit pretentious, but I'm more than willing to give it a shot. For some people, trips to Texas are too far. Hell, I'm probably not going to go back to the Tulsa expo, especially if they can get one started in OKC.
    So long as I have the money, I and my friends/boyfriend are going to both expos. I'd love to go to a large expo, and I want to support the local breeders. We aren't a state with a big reptile community. We're all very disjointed, and I'm willing to give anything that could change that, a shot.
    1.0 Banana Butter BP
    1.0 Black Otter Rex rabbit
    0.1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Thanks
    I had a very disagreeable welcome to that specific group, and it came down to "tight nit community" mentality. I've had my disagreements with those particular people on a multitude of subjects, and it really (to my biased self) came down to elitism and sticking together. I'm not apart of their in crowd, and that really rubs me the wrong way that there is an in crowd in our community.

However, I've never done business with the ones I have a problem with, so maybe they treat customers better than peers; I don't know. I will definitely give it a shot though. It won't be because I didn't go that the show doesn't turn a profit for the promoters and vendors.

Thanks

I have never had the opportunity to go to a large show such as the NARBC probably the largest I have been to is the Kansas City reptile breeders expo that the Kansas City hero society used to out on (I don't think they do them anymore) that being said, I found out about a couple of shies through cold blooded expos one in Tulsa OK and the other in Kansas City. I have only been to thee one in KC it was very small but I felt very welcomed. I know that Bob Clark usually attends both of these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this is an old thread but still a good discussion. I personally like both kinds of shows, both the big fancy national ones and the small local shows. The NARBC show at Tinley park has got to be seen to be believed, it's eye candy for reptile lovers. Lots of vendors, some with some pretty fancy displays, a list of speakers, educational type booths, lots of good stuff and if you've never been to one of these shows I highly recommend you go at least once to experience it. But the smaller shows to me seem more laid back, more personal, not as hectic. You might not have the variety you have at a larger show but you can often find some real gold at a smaller show. It can be surprising what some of the small time hobbyists that can't afford to vend at a larger show are breeding. Prices are usually better too. I usually go to the one in MN that is put on by Cold Blooded Expos twice a year here, it's the same guy who does the Kansas and OK shows and while I don't usually spend a lot of money, I usually go home with something.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    I guess because I have a preconceived opinion about the people involved is why I would rather a bigger, established show come and form than a group of friends try to put one on. I mean, sure if you're a vendor and you know a friend is going to be there, then of course you'll go chat. But I feel like these people would rub elbows with the people they wanted and it would be like a real informal shindig, where not a lot of money is made for anyone.

I guess I could be wrong, I personally would rather Repticon come regardless of when their show is. I would like to see what a "larger" show is like.

I'm not a breeder or anything, nor am I in any way involved in the business or "industry" side of things, so I understand that my opinion on this isn't very valuable, but...

I can see value in both situations. Obviously vendors will have more incentive to do bigger events with more public attendance. On the other hand, smaller shows of ANY kind have the potential to bring lower prices in many cases, even if you don't have "celebrity" vendors to draw crowds.

A situation like you describe with the OK Elite show sounds a little ridiculous. I seriously doubt they're going to pull attendees from one of the big events, so it may well turn into an informal elbow rub, just like you said. In that case, it seems like a Herp Society meet would be more useful. At the very least it would be mire cost effective.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks

So, since I forgot, I'd like to update everyone.

As it turned out, through a select group of people, Repticon was invited and encouraged to come in a week before the elite show. That rubbed me the wrong way entirely, and karma being karma the Repticon show had a small amount of vendors and a low turnout for it being Repticon.

The elite show was GREAT. Prices were astounding and we added three snakes and a tarantula while we were there.

As I found out, the people I thought were running weren't, they were just the vocal ones I saw posting about it. I actually got to sit and eat pizza and have some beer with the guy who helped put it on and it was a great experience being there.

I've basically sworn off Repticon due to the way they do their shows and their scheduling. They've planned more dates for next year, but so has elite and I know where I'll be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12