Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

1 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Any Honda Civic/ Civic Si Owners?

After a good long talk with my fiance on what I should do about a new car after totaling mine a few weeks ago we both came to agreement on the fact that it should be something relatively newer, since I now have a somewhat better job I can afford a larger monthly payment and since I have been working on building up my credit score I should be able to get a decent loan...that and I have been at my new job for almost a year and they like to see that when handing out money.

Between me and my fiance we decided I really should wait to be able to put down a good down payment on a car to get a lower monthly payment and with the baby due in December we really need to save for other things, plus since I am paying my fiances bills because she is out of work I really can't afford the extra payment for insurance and the loan right now. So the plan is to save up about $4,000 or so for the down payment which will take a little bit of time but be worth it in the long run, plus with a baby here in a few months my mind will be elsewhere anyways. We also decided that if I was going to get a new/ newer vehicle that it should be something I am happy with having for a while, since my last vehicle was bought on a whim because of the price and that fact we were driving to the Hamburg PA show the next day Lol.

I was dead set on the 2009 or later Scion xB, but after thinking about it I really wouldn't be happy unless I got something with a little power behind it. I have grown up with nothing but V8s and high output motors...my last car was my only 4 cylinder I ever had, and it was embarassing sometimes driving it having trouble getting to even 70 on a hill with my foot to the floor. So after looking around and realizing that a Subaru WRX is really out of my budget even for a used one I have fallen on the new 2012-2013 Honda Civic Si Sedans. I went and looked at a couple the other day at the local dealer and they are NICE....plus the 6-speed and 201hp i-VTECH engine so tempting. The ones I was looking at even came with backup cameras, bluetooth wireless connectivity, pandora incorperated, Tunablity from in the driver's seat on what the HP is looking like and your aaverage MPG, plus all the other bells and whistles anyone can need. Plus the back seats and truck have some pretty good room to them. I thought about test driving one, but I didn't want to give them the impression that I was ready to buy right now like some dealers I know.

My question for you guys is for the Civic and Si owners on here if you could let me know how you like them. My fiance said they have amazing crash test ratings...which is a plus for convicing the fiance (Baby on Board sticker on the rear window ) I mainly want to know comfort for the taller person (I'm 6'1" and need my leg room) along with how it rides/drives.

Pretty much how you like it and if it's worth the $24k price tag?

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

for you all to see here is a link to the one I was really drawn to when I went to look.

http://www.millerhondany.com/new/Hon...71fbe018f3.htm
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks

I have had my 2009 Xb doing 110mph could have gotten it higher but I was running out of road fast lol. It's a light car so it is quick and handles great at any speed. If you can make it to the BBQ I will let you drive it. Or if you go to the Corning ny expo on the 31 you could drive it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to toyota89 For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (08-13-2013)

Thanks

I have a civic Si it's a 2011 so it has the 2.0L the one you are looking at has a 2.4L so a bit more torque that's about it, they are very fun, very reliable daily driver. I would personally get the 2013 because after the first year of making the 2012 they did a face lift version which is the 2013 which IMO looks nicer, my car handles great, and easily gets past 110 Lol. I've gone at it with GTIs, 2.0t gen coupes, s2000s, 350z, frs/brz and they all loose lol also I've gone at it with a few stock WRX's and v8 mustangs and my civic has stood it's ground for a 4cyl. Of course I have a few mods but.... Also there is a road called "the dragon" that me and my buddies go to, when I was leading with my friend in his Wrx behind me after a few turns I lost him. These cars handle awesome!
    0.1 Clown
    0.2 Spider
    0.1 Stinger Bee
    0.1 Het clown
    1.1 Dinker
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pinstripe Het Clown
    1.0 Pastel Het Clown

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have a 2006 honda civic LX. It runs perfectly, never had any major issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I have a 2011 Civic and I've had friends with all models and years as well. The older ones are much easier to service - now they are trying to mash all of the components up UNDER the dash which makes it difficult. The good news is they rarely need repairs or service because they're so reliable. I had Acuras (Honda made) and a Toyota Celica and they were great. I got a Cadillac and the thing had a problem once a month and crapped out at 130k miles. I'm never getting an american made car again.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

I have an 08 civic si and I love it! My husband has an accord and loves it too. If your used to bigger engines, not sure you'd want a civic though. They have some kick to them but the vtec is a joke compared to some other things I've driven like a wrx or turbo stage 3 lancer.

It's a good family of 3 or 4 car, but if I was going to have a baby I would be looking at accords or maybe a Nissan. They have a lot more interior, back seat room and still have decent pick up.

IMO the newer civics don't have as much kick as the older ones that are dohc. I'm not sure about the numbers but I've owned a lot of Hondas over the years and prefer an older one with a few mods for the track, and the newer one to get me to work and back .
    Casey Schneider

Thanks
    I've always loved my civics. I liked my older one better though. My older car was a 2003 Si (which is still going to this day! Albeit it's had some parts replaced but the body and all is still mint. That's saying something!) I currently drive a 2009 (both coupes, not sedans) and its definitely roomier than the older style. I do a lot of driving, both city and highway and it's great on gas! The only complaint I have is that the newer styles are so high in the back and there's not really a clear view of the blind spot, I can blame that on being short though, I'm only 5'4"....probably not a problem at 6'1". Lol.
    K.A.S

"Sometimes girls have Balls too!"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

These were my first thoughts.

Didn't even finish reading the post. You're becoming a father, you have a baby on the way. You do NOT need something with more power underneath the hood. You don't need to worry about speed. I don't even care if the kid isn't in the car. You do something dumb speeding and angela will be left as a single mom. You should be concerned about the safety rating for your kid. Also, you're gunna want cargo space for strollers, diaper bags, pack n play (if you go on vacation thats what they sleep in and those are pretty big) etc. You want great gas mileage to be saving money. Kids are expensive so most likely this will be the car you own for like 10+ years. When the kids into sports and you have to haul around all their sports n school crap and their friends crap then you won't be able to in a civic. When you're not a parent you don't think about a lot of the little things that could make your life easier. Bending down to get a baby out of the car is fine when they're young. Once they start getting heavier its a pain in the ass lol. An xb is up higher so you're not bending over to get the car seat out. Another example that comes to mind is it's ideal to have multiple diaper bags so you don't have to haul the same one around everywhere. Idk how big a civics trunk is but i know the xb has plenty of room to keep a spare one in. Just crap like that adds up.

Tbh, if i were you, i'd be looking at subaru foresters. Same size and space as an xb but you have the AWD for the snow in the winter. I know you guys get a lot of snow in Upstate NY and my subie is a tank in the snow

I really don't care if that came off as harsh. In fact i hope it kinda did to make you really think hard.

EDIT: wow just read the rest of it and all of the responses. Maybe i'm in the wrong here but i don't think sports cars and babies mix. Just my opinion i guess....
    Last edited by Mike41793; 08-13-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (08-13-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cschneider View Post
    I have an 08 civic si and I love it! My husband has an accord and loves it too. If your used to bigger engines, not sure you'd want a civic though. They have some kick to them but the vtec is a joke compared to some other things I've driven like a wrx or turbo stage 3 lancer.

It's a good family of 3 or 4 car, but if I was going to have a baby I would be looking at accords or maybe a Nissan. They have a lot more interior, back seat room and still have decent pick up.

IMO the newer civics don't have as much kick as the older ones that are dohc. I'm not sure about the numbers but I've owned a lot of Hondas over the years and prefer an older one with a few mods for the track, and the newer one to get me to work and back .
    LOL my car made 187hp to the wheels stock, which is more then any older civic or CTR, then I got intake header and exhaust and tuned now I'm making 230whp the newer "k" series motors are very restricted from factory, but do simple bolt ons and you make decent numbers, the k20 has the most potential out of any Honda motor. All older Honda motors such as the b18c1, the "b" meaning its a b series and b series are dohc, the "18" representing the the size of the motor 1.8L, and the "c" indicating the engine specific model with in the 1.8L group. This motor was put in the Acura GS-R which I would consider the fastest "older Honda motor" and even at that the made 170 to the crank (and a quarter mile time of 15.7.) So about 160 to the wheels. The weight difference isn't much either, so I'm kind of confused as to why you say they have more kick and you'd prefer them for the track.
    0.1 Clown
    0.2 Spider
    0.1 Stinger Bee
    0.1 Het clown
    1.1 Dinker
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pinstripe Het Clown
    1.0 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMellor View Post
    LOL my car made 187hp to the wheels stock, which is more then any older civic or CTR, then I got intake header and exhaust and tuned now I'm making 230whp the newer "k" series motors are very restricted from factory, but do simple bolt ons and you make decent numbers, the k20 has the most potential out of any Honda motor. All older Honda motors such as the b18c1, the "b" meaning its a b series and b series are dohc, the "18" representing the the size of the motor 1.8L, and the "c" indicating the engine specific model with in the 1.8L group. This motor was put in the Acura GS-R which I would consider the fastest "older Honda motor" and even at that the made 170 to the crank (and a quarter mile time of 15.7.) So about 160 to the wheels. The weight difference isn't much either, so I'm kind of confused as to why you say they have more kick and you'd prefer them for the track.
    I prefer older ones because they are easier to work on and have more options for modifying. I was running low 15's with my del sol (b16a3 since you know what that means ) best time was 14.9 with small mods nothing major and the engine had 145000 miles on it.
    Casey Schneider

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast