Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,597

2 members and 2,595 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Yellow bellies? weird stripe babies?

Well I bought a pair of yellow bellies a few years ago, and just got a few babies from them. I was hoping for at least one ivory. I had 5 hatch out (lost 2) and of the 5, 4 of them had stripes that went down the length of the snake. Not as much as the genetic stripes I’ve seen, but 4 out of 5 having a stripe seemed a bit too much of a coincidence, so I think it has to be somehow genetic, but still don’t think they are worth much.

I have 3 questions.
    1) Now that I’m looking closer, I think the Male YB may not be a YB, any opinions?
    2) Any opinions as to if the babies are YB’s?
    3) Any idea what is up with the stripe?

Links have more pics, I just included a few here.

Female YB
    http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/?path=...nake/femaleyb/

male YB
    http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/?path=.../snake/maleyb/

hatchling #1
    http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/?path=.../snake/normal/

hatchling #2
    http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/?path=...snake/stripe1/

hatchling #3 (has not shed yet)
    http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/?path=...snake/stripe2/

did not take pics of the 2 that died, but they had stripes that went the full length also.

Thanks

Re: Yellow bellies? weird stripe babies?

stripe pic of the last baby
    Last edited by yzguy; 08-05-2013 at 11:22 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yzguy For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Dad doesn't look like a YB.
    It would be odd if they are genetic, as neither of the parents show that trait...but having multiple babies come out with it...yea, very interesting indeed!

Also, sorry about the loss of your other 2 babies
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 08-06-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: advert

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I'm not certain what your babies are. They don't look YB to me. Are the parents related? Perhaps a weird recessive gene.
    The father does not look like a YB either. Wrong belly.

What temps did you use to incubate? Could be an incubation error (temp spike for example) to create those wonky patterns.

Thanks

Wow!

I have a female dinker that looks exactly like the Last baby...well slightly different because my girl has more of a granite look to her

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

Yellow bellies? weird stripe babies?

Whatever they are, I want hatchling #2! Sexy animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marissa@MKmorphs For This Useful Post:

MS2 (08-23-2013)

Thanks
    Well I actually did screw up a few things….
    First I’m not exactly sure how long the eggs got left in with mom, I had not checked for a few days, then when I did see them, most of the eggs looked pretty dented up (7 total) only the center one really looked close to right, and one other did not look that bad. I was thinking I was only going to get 2 to hatch. The next thing I did was go away for a week, and we had a house sitter which did not like snakes. The day we were getting back was going to be 42 days in the incubator (plus whatever days they were with mom, at most a couple). I was expecting them to take another week, but when I got back, 5 had hatched, and 2 died. I think they were suffocated in the container in the incubator, I think the container was too small for all of them. I did not think there would be an issue leaving them in there for a few days even if they did hatch, but I think they would have been fine if I would have pulled them out, or had a bigger container.

I incubated at 89 degrees +- 1 and are not aware of any up or down spikes. 2 eggs did get quite moldy, and were obviously bad, and when they went way bad, I cut them out (they were very bad). Others did not look right, some had some mold, but I left them and they all hatched.

Now I got an inspection camera (small camera on a stick) for looking in their hide boxes quickly to look for eggs, so I won’t miss them again, I can easily check daily.

I’m considering keeping the first stripe baby, but have not decided yet. First babies I have gotten, and looks kinda cool. But then again, I already have a few other cooler ones. But still one of my first babies…. Not sure.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear about all the troubles

Congrats on your first clutch!
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 08-06-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Advert

Thanks
    also this page:
    http://www.ballpython777.com/superst...perstripe.html
    "Stripe is the result of breeding a yellow belly or an Ivory to a Spector/Whirlwind/het superstripe"

well I think Mom is a yellow belly, but not sure what a Spector/Whirlwind/het superstripe may be. Maybe dad is that? but my stripes don't look as cool as the one on that page.... but 4 out of 5 seems like a lot.

Thanks
    Those babies are definitely not an allelic combo baby of the yb complex. (Superstripe, highway etc)

They are however very pretty and neat. It *could* be incubation issues, or it *could* be a genetic mutation. With neither of the parents having the stripe, that rules our harlequin/widestripe.

There is only one way to find out, and that's raise them up and breed them back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    Those babies are definitely not an allelic combo baby of the yb complex. (Superstripe, highway etc)

They are however very pretty and neat. It *could* be incubation issues, or it *could* be a genetic mutation. With neither of the parents having the stripe, that rules our harlequin/widestripe.

There is only one way to find out, and that's raise them up and breed them back.
    Actually, I could be wrong on the harlequin thing...didn't someone prove out a recessive harlequin line? Now I can't remember....fiddlestix

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast