Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

3 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

sexing hatchlings

I feel a bit like a fool for even having to post this kind of thread, but I'm struggling with popping the snakes I hatched out this year. I've been keeping reptiles since grade school, but I've never really had the need to sex any of them. I've had moderate success confirming the gender of most snakes I've purchased, but I've never done it entirely on my own. this was my first year breeding, and I finally have a few hatchlings to sell. I can't in good conscience list them as 0.0.1, so I wanted to ask for any advice people might be willing to give.

before anyone asks, I have watched youtube videos, read the online manuals, and seen it done in person. I'm still doing something wrong because when I pop the hatchlings, I usually can't see anything other than an amorphous pink blob without any defined scent glands or hemipenes. if anyone can point me in the right direction, give a few words of advice, etc., it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wwmjkd For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-04-2013)

Thanks

Re: sexing hatchlings

I'm in the same boat, but at least I can give you a bump. I bought a couple of normal hatchlings to practice on last year and had limited success. If I can't pop my own when they come, I'm thinking of paying someone from the pet store to drop by to help me out. My vet will be my last resource. He'll charge me $50 plus $10 per pop. I've heard that they're easier to pop when they're freshly hatched. I hope that's true. Good Luck!
    Breeding Males: Clown het Pied and Lavender Albino
    Breeding Females: Two Pieds and a Lemon Blast Enchi ph Pied

http://piedplus.wordpress.com/ - My Website
    http://www.iherp.com/piedplus - Records/Feed & Breed

Thanks

My question is when is it safe to do it?

1.1 pastels, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 spider, 1.3 norm. 1.0 fire 0.1 RTB 0.0 sav. Mon.
    0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's safe to pop right out of the egg and it is very easy if you know how to do it.

In my experience based on the people I have taught how to pop to the main issue people have is 1/ correctly placing their finger 2/ applying enough pressure.

The most common thing I see is people not applying enough pressure by fear to hurt their hatchlings, resulting in not being able to accurately pop them.

It's easy but the best thing is to have someone show you proper placement of your fingers and give you an idea of how much pressure is really applied (which is hard to get from a video), once you have that down it's all about practice.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MrLang (08-05-2013),piedplus (08-04-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ironpython View Post
    My question is when is it safe to do it?

1.1 pastels, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 spider, 1.3 norm. 1.0 fire 0.1 RTB 0.0 sav. Mon.
    Bumping this in hopes that we get a popping expert in here... In my quest to learn how to pop, I've seen people pop anything from baby to full grown. So I guess it's safe at any age. It does seem though that some BP's learn how to hold it in when they're older, and those seem difficult to pop. Just IMHO.
    Breeding Males: Clown het Pied and Lavender Albino
    Breeding Females: Two Pieds and a Lemon Blast Enchi ph Pied

http://piedplus.wordpress.com/ - My Website
    http://www.iherp.com/piedplus - Records/Feed & Breed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It's safe to pop right out of the egg and it is very easy if you know how to do it.

In my experience based on the people I have taught how to pop to the main issue people have is 1/ correctly placing their finger 2/ applying enough pressure.

The most common thing I see is people not applying enough pressure by fear to hurt their hatchlings, resulting in not being able to accurately pop them.

It's easy but the best thing is to have someone show you proper placement of your fingers and give you an idea of how much pressure is really applied (which is hard to get from a video), once you have that down it's all about practice.
    thanks, Deborah. I was hoping you'd see this. that's exactly the problem I've been having- the placement and pressure on the opposite side of the vent (my right hand). where would you suggest the proper placement of the thumb to evert properly?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wwmjkd View Post
    thanks, Deborah. I was hoping you'd see this. that's exactly the problem I've been having- the placement and pressure on the opposite side of the vent (my right hand). where would you suggest the proper placement of the thumb to evert properly?
    You use your thumb and place it right before the cloaca and apply pressure, then you place your other thumb and index far enough on the tail and start rolling in towards the cloaca. (this require proper pressure also and placing your finger far enough on the tail, if not you will not be able to pop efficiently)

My best advice is always to find someone local (fellow snake keeper) or at a show willing to show you once someone does you will get a feel for it and the only thing you will need is practise.

Popping is the only thing I do, I have a set of probe and I can count on one hand how many time I have use them (the animals I probed were not mine and were VERY tensed adults)

It does seem though that some BP's learn how to hold it in when they're older, and those seem difficult to pop. Just IMHO.
    Yes Adult gain more muscle control making it harder to pop them however it's not impossible just a little more difficult especially if you do not practise enough.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-04-2013),wwmjkd (08-04-2013)

Thanks
    My probe kit came with a tiny hatchling probe. Are you not supposed to probe hatchlings? I've never popped, and I'm hoping to have my first clutch my mid-late spring. Snake breeders in south Mississippi are few and far between, I'm afraid, if I'll have to pop :| Though I could put out an SOS to small local pet stores and see who knows what
    ​Females
    0.1 wildtypes [Rosca]
    0.1 pastave [Persephone]
    0.1 mutt redtail boa [Serendipity]
    0.1 false water cobra [Artemis]
    0.1 white lipped python [Pandora]
    0.1 super tiger retic [Callie]
    0.1 leopard gecko [Adelita]
    0.1 diamond dove [Pidgey]
    0.1 hairless dumbo rat [Scarlett No Haira]
    0.2 dumbo rex rat, fancy rat [Fern, Harley Quinn]
    0.1 gerbil [Katrina]
    0.1 mouse [Snow White]
    0.1 cat + kittens [Mama Cat]
    0.1 African Dwarf Frog [Zelda]

?? molly fish
    Males
    1.0 fiancee [Patrick]
    1.0 Argentine b&w tegu [Emrys]
    1.0 hypo red bearded dragon [Zammy]
    1.0 bumblebee [Zerok]
    1.0 albino king snake [Dumbledore]
    1.0 diamond dove [Julius]
    1.0 dumbo rat [Ratrick Stewart]
    1.0 gerbil [Sven]
    1.0 betta fish [Casanova]

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

sexing hatchlings

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyLynette View Post
    My probe kit came with a tiny hatchling probe. Are you not supposed to probe hatchlings? I've never popped, and I'm hoping to have my first clutch my mid-late spring. Snake breeders in south Mississippi are few and far between, I'm afraid, if I'll have to pop :| Though I could put out an SOS to small local pet stores and see who knows what
    Honestly, popping babies is REALLY easy, and you barely need to exert any pressure. I was taught on hatchlings.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DestinyLynette View Post
    Have you ever probe a snake before if you never have I do not recommend doing it, just like I would not trust a pet store to do it, if you do not know what you are doing you can injure your BP (I have seen it several times over the years people pushing to hard and too far)

That's why popping is much simpler for someone inexperienced.

If you want to probe learn first and do so from a breeder.
    Deborah Stewart