Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

0 members and 3,256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Thanks
    My big girl has one of those big exo terra naturalistic bowls, so no tipping there. The little one is using a Pyrex bowl, since she is too small to tip as of yet.

Sent from my water bowl using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    I have quiet a few tippers myself, and it seems as if a generous portion of the ones who don't tip drag the papertowel into the bowl. What I've found is that any container must have straight sides or should have side expanding outward from the top so they are wider at the base. And the wider and shallower the better. I also quit filling more than about half full.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: Who doesn't use a water bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    What I've found is that any container must have straight sides or should have side expanding outward from the top so they are wider at the base. And the wider and shallower the better. I also quit filling more than about half full.
    Target has plastic dog bowls for about $3 that are a good bit wider at the top than the base. The way they're designed you can also cut a hole in the side so it does double-duty as a hide. I've got BP's up to 1200 grams that stuff themselves under these bowls, and without spilling a drop of water.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Sometimes when I'm cleaning I pull the water bowls first and clean the snakes, then I clean the rats, and by the time I get back to the snakes and the bowls are clean there is no chance I'm putting my hand in there. They smell the rats from cleaning and all go into feeding mode.

When I go back to put the bowls in a few days later, it is EXTREMELY common for me to see 80% or more of the snakes go directly to drink from their bowls for a while. This happens every time. I have a picture on my phone of every single snake in a rack with their head tipped into the bowl drinking.

The area of Africa that they live is NOT a desert. They definitely need water available.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    I can tell you from experience that Ball Pythons do need water. I have a friend that was getting in to breeding BP's and he had about 10 of them. After about a year he stopped taking much care of them. He still fed them regularly but every time I went over there all the water bowls were empty some of them for a month or more. Sometimes the snakes were visibly dehydrated sometimes not. A couple of them ended up dyeing from it. I always ended up cleaning and filling them and they would go right for the water within minutes of me filling the bowls. I know that they can go quite awhile without water but they do need to drink even when they are eating regularly. He has since gotten rid of all his pets and I have told him never to get anymore.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Thanks

Re: Who doesn't use a water bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by kameo37 View Post
    Well, I'm certainly no expert, but here goes...
    I don't know about the tipping thing, but how about taking the water bowl out before feeding? That way at least you won't have a wasted rat.
    lol so true!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    The only thing I could think of is to like hot glue the bowl in place but that would make cleaning harder and I move my bowl closer to the heat for shedding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Registered User The Flying Henry's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd like to think any captive animal would have constant access to fresh water! Mine like to drink. They really do take after their mami!
    "The Kipper is due."
    "Who cares? This is good cocoa!"

1.2.0 Python regius
    3.3.0 Heterodon nasicus

Currently rebuilding collection...

Thanks
    We use a separate container for feeding, so we don't have the issue with either of our bps putting their prey in the water. We have ceramic water dishes that they can't tip, but they do get in to go "swim", so we just make sure that there isn't enough water in the dish to overflow when they play.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789