Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    I will be getting a beardie on monday and i have been reaserching everything that i will need I have got the viv upto scratch already and it is ready for ma new babie to come home into, the question i have got is when im feeding my beardie thing that we would eat such as food that we need to cook like most things on this list
    1/2 cup shredded green beans or lima beans (for protein)
    1/2 cup shredded orange-fleshed squash, yam, sweet potato or carrot
    1/2 cup vegetables chosen for variety such as bell peppers of all colors, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, corn, kohlrabi, parsnip, peas, potatoes (cooked, plain), rice (cooked, plain), pumpkin, radishes, rutabaga, snow peas.
    1/4 cup chopped or mashed fruit, such as apple (no seeds), apricots, blueberries, bananas (no skin), berries (mine LOVE raspberries), cantaloupe, figs, grapes, honeydew, kiwi, mangos, papaya, peaches, pears, plums, watermelon (no seeds).
    do I cook them for the beardie like i would if i was going to cook them for me or do i give them to it rore ? that is the only thing i couldnt find anywhere, I know it might sound dumb to you experianced keepers but i just had to make sure. thanks for ur help in advance
    Thanx
    Danny and the gang

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a dumb question at all. So far as I know, you don't have to cook anything. Just make sure they are cut up into small enough chunks so as to not risk choking, especially really hard things like carrots. They can bite off stuff, but I shred my carrots for Shaggy anyhow.

Here's an excellent site for beardie nutritional information, including an excellent list of foods to feed, from best to worst:
    Beautiful Dragons
    Plus a lot of other really useful info.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks so much for your help there Judy, I already have that site in my favorites lol, i been looking into getting a beardie for a bit but at the right price and just found a great one at 45 pound and is well in good health at about 6inch long cant wait till monday only 4more sleeps as the kids say lol. thanks again
    Thanx
    Danny and the gang

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hehe...four more sleeps. That's a good way of looking at things! Good luck with your new beardie! I hope you can share pics of it when you get it!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thank you again, yeah its a good way of looking at things the youngest kid useing it cause shes still not used to days and yet so its easyer to put it that way for her lol, i will try to get a couple of photos soon as poss, I got 2 more questions for you if you dont mind though please, 1) Have u ever tryed to potty train your beardie or know how to go about that i would like to try with mine, and 2) can I have both a heat mat and a spot light for the basking spot the heat mat dosnt get hot enough to harm anything and is on a thermastat. thanks for your time again its great when there is people like you in the world willing to help out
    Thanx
    Danny and the gang

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's my pleasure to help.

Potty-training a beardie? Never even thought about it. If you try and figure out a way to do it, please let me know!

I suppose you could use a mat, but I'm not sure why it would be necessary. If you put a ceramic or stone basking spot under your heat lamp, it will absorb the heat and provide all the belly-warmth your lizard will need. They love to climb up on something to bask.
    -- Judy