Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

0 members and 3,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem Shedder

Thanks

Question Problem Shedder

Is there such a thing or is it always a temp & humidity issue? I have owned many ball pythons and boas over the years, but I currently have a male bumblebee that has the most difficulty shedding of any snake I've ever had. He has a soaking bowl in his enclosure that he rarely uses to actually soak, so what I have resorted to is helping him along by holding him and running a warm damp washcloth down the length of his body, which works well. However, I don't want to overly stress him out so I avoid his head and neck, which still hasn't shed properly.

Other than raising the humidity in his enclosure in general, are there any other suggestions/tricks of the trade that folks can share with me?

Thanks

Problem Shedder

As soon as I see a snake about to go into shed (usually the darkened colors and pink belly) I'll spray everything down a couple times a day to keep humidity up until shedding time. That's really all there is to it!

Some people make one hide into a humid hide with sphagnum moss or another substrate that holds moisture well. I don't personally do this but I'm sure there's more info somewhere else!

hope that helps
    1.0 OD YB Spider
    1.0 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Pastel Calico
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Yellowbelly

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brettfong For This Useful Post:

chosen2030 (08-02-2013)

Thanks

Problem Shedder

If you wanted suggestions to get the stuck skin off, I usually run a bath of lukewarm water and let them sit in there and soak. after that, the skin should come off easily with a washcloth. if not, just wait a day or two and try again.

Also one thing that worked was putting my snake in a tub with warmish water and a washcloth soaked in warm water. Put the snake in and the lid on and leave it (supervised) for about 20 minutes. After that the skin should fall off easily if it didn't already!
    1.0 OD YB Spider
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Pastel Calico

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brettfong For This Useful Post:

chosen2030 (08-02-2013)

Thanks

Problem Shedder

I had the same problem with mine and had to do the same exact thing. I'll probably be buying a small mister online and spraying it when she starts to shed. I wonder if it would have the same effect to use a regular spray bottle? lol. or maybe putting the water bowl on the hot side...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What are you using to measure humidity? If it's a dial type gauge stuck on the side, those are often wrong. I use an Accurite Indoor/Outdoor thermometer from Walmart ($12) that measure the two temps and humidity. I keep humidity between 50-60% all the time, then when I see the cloudy cast to the belly, I mist, sometimes several times a day, to keep humidity 70-75%. I've never had a problem with sheds, even on the rescue BP that the girl had for two years and "never had a normal shed". His first shed (and all the rest) with me using my normal method was absolutely perfect.

Also, are you soaking your snake before he sheds? That's actually a bad thing, as it pulls natural oils out of the skin that help them shed, and can make a shed go badly. One should only soak after a bad shed to help remove it.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

Re: Problem Shedder

Quote Originally Posted by brettfong View Post
    As soon as I see a snake about to go into shed (usually the darkened colors and pink belly) I'll spray everything down a couple times a day to keep humidity up until shedding time. That's really all there is to it!

Some people make one hide into a humid hide with sphagnum moss or another substrate that holds moisture well. I don't personally do this but I'm sure there's more info somewhere else!

hope that helps
    What do you keep your animals on? I keep mine on aspen and was wondering if it's safe to mist or will doing so grow mold?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brettfong View Post
    If you wanted suggestions to get the stuck skin off, I usually run a bath of lukewarm water and let them sit in there and soak. after that, the skin should come off easily with a washcloth. if not, just wait a day or two and try again.

Also one thing that worked was putting my snake in a tub with warmish water and a washcloth soaked in warm water. Put the snake in and the lid on and leave it (supervised) for about 20 minutes. After that the skin should fall off easily if it didn't already!
    I'm probably a little paranoid, but do you run the risk of a respiratory infection if you let them soak for too long? How long would be too long?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    What are you using to measure humidity?

Also, are you soaking your snake before he sheds? That's actually a bad thing, as it pulls natural oils out of the skin that help them shed, and can make a shed go badly. One should only soak after a bad shed to help remove it.
    I use a digital gauge to measure humidity.

I only soak him when he is having a problem shed. Otherwise I just keep a bowl in his enclosure large enough for him to soak in if he chooses to.

Thanks

Problem Shedder

I keep mine on aspen and have had no problems with mold so far. And for soaking I've never gone past 30 minutes
    1.0 OD YB Spider
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Pastel Calico

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use about half and half cypress mulch and coco bark. For the snakes in tanks, I mist once or twice a week normally, then once a day during shed to maintain proper humidity. For the snakes in professional cages, I actually don't ever have to mist, It stays perfect in there with just the water bowl.

15-20 minutes is usually all it takes for getting a bad shed off. I just soak for 10, then work with the snake in the water for another 10, then put them up so they aren't too stressed. So far, every single one of my rescues have come with bad shed stuck on them; that's the only reason I have any experience with it!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sita For This Useful Post:

chosen2030 (08-03-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast