Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

2 members and 3,149 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Best medium sized snake?

I am looking for a medium sized, non-venomous, snake (about 5'-7') that is fairly active and not too aggressive. I have been thinking about a ball python but it spends most of its time hiding and gets stressed when it is handled very much. Some others I have looked at are the Hogg Island Boa, Blood Python, and Red Tailed Boas. In your experience, what is the best? What are some pros and cons for each? This will be my first snake but not my first herp. If you know a better snake that I can watch and handle, what is it?

All help is really appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Best medium sized snake?

You'll likely get a lot of recommendations for Carpet Pythons in this thread, so I'll jump the gun and link you to a great care guide for them: http://www.acreptiles.com/main/index...=81&Itemid=140
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

arialmt (07-29-2013),Bluebonnet Herp (07-27-2013),Pyrate81 (07-28-2013),The Serpent Merchant (07-27-2013),threezero (07-29-2013)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Personally I think the best medium sized snake is the Dumeril's boa:

here's my little girl:

Dumeril's don't get quite as big as RTB's do but still are still a nice step up from a BP. Dumeril's are very calm and docile snakes that are great to handle. They spend most of the time out in the open (partially buried if possible) They are great feeders and are beautiful. I think if you are going to get a medium sized snake as your first snake a Dumeril's Boa is the best choice, they grow slowly and really are a joy to work with.

Red tail Boas are great as well, they are a little more active than Dumeril's but can also get really big.

Bloods are really cool snakes, and I hope to get into them in the future, but they can have a pretty nasty attitude.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Dumeril's Boa- Very docile, but not overly active. They can get pretty thick too....my male is already over 6' and almost 10 lbs.

Carpet Python- Quite active, generally pretty docile and come in several subspecies.

Rainbow Boa- Beautiful, fairly docile, but shy and difficult to maintain proper husbandry.

Hog Island or other Insular Boa- Typical docile BCI personalities in a smaller package.
    1.1 Dumeril's Boas (Andry and Anja)
    0.1 Argentine Boa (Evita)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Rocky)
    1.2 Leopard Geckos (Unnamed)
    0.1 Australian Cattle Dog (Lola)
    0.1 Tabby Cat (Bianca)

Thanks
    I've been looking around some more. I'm wondering about the carpet pythons (jungle maybe?), Dumeril's Boa, and the eastern indigo. The indigo not as much because it is just one solid color that does not really stand out.

@ Eric Alan: Thank you!! I read over that care guide a bit and they sound amazing! I am liking carpet pythons more and more

Thanks
    Here's my male Dumeril's next to a soda can for size reference...

1.1 Dumeril's Boas (Andry and Anja)
    0.1 Argentine Boa (Evita)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Rocky)
    1.2 Leopard Geckos (Unnamed)
    0.1 Australian Cattle Dog (Lola)
    0.1 Tabby Cat (Bianca)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yup, anything in the Morelia genus has you covered! (Albeit Green Tree pythons can be a bit sketchy on handling, a little dedicated handling could go a long way.) Also look into Macklot's pythons, Liasis mackloti. They are just as active, get a bit chunkier than the average long-ratio python, but perfect size under your description. Another odd aussie you can look into is the woma python, Aspidites ramsayi, very curious and active, and again, larger than a ball python, but smaller than the largest Boa constrictor. They also have one of my favorite patterns on a non-venomous snake- a blending gradient in each beautiful stripe!

P.S. I hear Dumeril's are only as active as the ball python, and much can be said about them being pet rocks, so be aware of that, if activity is a quality you are looking for.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 07-27-2013 at 11:34 PM.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    Yup, anything in the Morelia genus has you covered! (Albeit Green Tree pythons can be a bit sketchy on handling, a little dedicated handling could go a long way.) Also look into Macklot's pythons, Liasis mackloti. They are just as active, get a bit chunkier than the average long-ratio python, but perfect size under your description. Another odd aussie you can look into is the woma python, Aspidites ramsayi, very curious and active, and again, larger than a ball python, but smaller than the largest Boa constrictor. They also have one of my favorite patterns on a non-venomous snake- a blending gradient in each beautiful stripe!

P.S. I hear Dumeril's are only as active as the ball python, and much can be said about them being pet rocks, so be aware of that, if activity is a quality you are looking for.
    Mine is far more active than my ball pythons, maybe mines just weird, but I see her cruising around her cage on a regular basis.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Having bloods, a Hog, and Colombian BCIs I would fully recommend one of the boas. I love my Sumatran short tails but I believe they're a little on the advanced side while the boas are easy keepers, great handlers, and can be good display snakes too.

Hog Island BCIs are considered a "dwarf" boa that can range in size from 4-6'. There are larger females out there but both sexes should be very manageable. Excellent boas.

Here's my pure female:

Colombian BCI boas are the most common BCI in the hobby right now IMO, and not to be confused with "true red tailed boas" which are the Suriname, Peruvian, and Guyana BCC boas (as some examples). The BCCs can be more sensitive to husbandry and feeding so I recommend a BCI (like the Colombians or Hogs) over these guys.

Colombians come in many morphs, range in size to 4-7', and easy to handle and keep. I recommend a 4' cage for males and 6' for females.

Here's my Colombian morphs (first is a Jungle, second a Hypo, third a Sharp Strain Albino, and last a Motley)

~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

Thank you everyone

Dumeril's boas and carpet pythons are probably at the top of my list right now starting to consider woma pythons but I have not looked into their care yet. (going to do that now)

@ pythonminion: The woma pythons look really cool! Thank you!

I am still looking around so as many opinions as I can get is great!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast