Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

1 members and 3,191 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Conversely, here in Oklahoma you just have to apply for a special license and show a warden your cage meets "standard". But, if you don't tell anyone, no one knows...

There was one guy selling sidewinders a while back, wouldn't sell to minors and anyone who didn't have the license.

Thanks
    Haha in South Carolina you just have to be 18... Nothing else

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

King Cobras- How?

1000 hours is ridiculous.

BPnet Senior Member Marissa@MKmorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 783 Posts

King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    1000 hours is ridiculous.
    I don't think it is ridiculous. I think all states should have some sort of restriction like this. Maybe not 1000 hours, but at least 500. It's easy for people to forget that these animals are dangerous and need to be respected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Marissa~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by missriss2012 View Post
    I don't think it is ridiculous. I think all states should have some sort of restriction like this. Maybe not 1000 hours, but at least 500. It's easy for people to forget that these animals are dangerous and need to be respected.

50 hours is more than enough, unless you're brain dead.

Thanks

Re: King Cobras- How?

Keeping venomous reptiles can be a huge pain just due to red tape and no consistent laws.
    Between federal, state/provincial and local by-laws there is a lot of hoops to jump through that have no influence of safely keeping or handling these animals.

Granted this might cut down on a number of fools keeping them because they are "bad a**" animals, it doesn't help serious herpetologists, venom collectors(for antivenin production), or add to safety of the community or the handler.
    The best models I've seen are the jurisdictions that run an "apprentice" type of program.

Venomoids are also occasionally available but, a snake or two has been known to re-grow the severed ducts to transport venom to the fangs.
    Even a venomoid should be treated the same as a true "hot" herp.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

King Cobras- How?

Heh Texas you simple go to Walmart pay $20 for your controlled snake permit if you don't have one. And boom. Legal to own any venomous as long as its not protected / endangered

-------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Heh Texas you simple go to Walmart pay $20 for your controlled snake permit if you don't have one. And boom. Legal to own any venomous as long as its not protected / endangered

And how many innocent citizens have been killed by a captive venomous snakes that escaped? I guess none...

Which means there is nothing wrong with the system. A system should be in place, only to protect the public.

Who cares if a keeper is bitten and dies? If someone is stupid enough to buy a venomous snake, that they know full well they cannot handle confidently, it's their own fault.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by missriss2012 View Post

Easy to forget? I don't think so. Who forgets their cobra or rattlesnake is venomous and decides to free handle it? I think that goes back to being brain dead.

I think 1000 hours is a bit much and I wonder how well they are finding people keeping hots without the proper permits. Its kinda like the banned snakes. Its left to the keepers themselves to follow the law. If I move from one state to another who will know, its not like they have snake check points. I also know you will have a hard time finding law enforcement that will know what snakes are banned or even what the banned snakes look like.

They are feel good laws that make people feel like they have accomplished something. Just like outlawing guns only takes them out of law abiding citizens hands but not the criminals. I bet you even the law makers couldn't pick out the banned snakes from a line up.
    Last edited by KMG; 07-29-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    And how many innocent citizens have been killed by a captive venomous snakes that escaped? I guess none...

Which means there is nothing wrong with the system. A system should be in place, only to protect the public.

Who cares if a keeper is bitten and dies? If someone is stupid enough to buy a venomous snake, that they know full well they cannot handle confidently, it's their own fault.
    Lol ok - my statement was just a statement calm down crot

But yes there should be no need for deep permit systems since the endangerment comes to that of the keeper first. Should I say, natural selection?

-------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast