Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,109

0 members and 2,109 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Looking Help Deciding On New Vehicle

Hey everyone, Last Wednesday I fell asleep on the way home from my third shift job took out a tree and totaled my car. Walked away with nothing more than a headache and no recollection of the accident at all. Kinda a blessing in a way. Also the State Trooper who arrived on scene was very kind and didn't even write me a ticket. I just heard back from the insurance company yesterday and they will be paying off the remainder of my loan on the car about $4,480 (Wish I had gotten Gap insurance because that would be nice in my pocket) and I will have an extra $900 left over for whatever. I will be paying off some other debt with it along with buying some stuff for the baby on the way. I am currently using my Fiance's 2009 Toyota Yaris for the work commute since she was taken out of work due to the pregnancy. I plan on doing some paying off on other bills before I dive into another 5-6 year loan, but I am still looking around at what's out there and I have narrowed my search down to 2 vehicles.

Nissan Cube
    and
    Scion xB

I prefer the second gen version of the xB 2007-on just so we are all on the same page.

I am just curious on how these vehicles on mainly on gas and trunk space as I will need to be cramming strollers, pack-n-plays, ect in it in the near future. I am also open to any other suggestions on a good vehicle. Some requirments however are 1) Needs to have leg room for a 6'1" Driver, 2) Needs to come with cruise control (Most newer stuff does, but my 2007 versa I just wrecked didn't), and 3) Needs to be $11,000 and under.

If anyone can shed some light on these (I know a couple people on here have xB's, not sure on cubes) I would much appreciate the rating.

I drive 40 miles one way to work so I need something that gets close to 30mpg like my last car. With a little more room.

Many thanks,

Kevin
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Re: Looking Help Deciding On New Vehicle

I can't speak for the second gen xB's, I'm actually not as fond of them, but I have a 1st gen and absolutely adore my car. I'm not a fan of the look of the Cube either personally.

Great handling, awesome turn radius, tons of space, great gas mileage. I'm tiny so I don't need much legroom but there's plenty, and I like how the seats sit, almost like a bus seat if that makes sense? Curt, C&H Exotics, has a second gen, maybe he'll chime in or you could pm him. I think he likes it.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

xb ALL THE WAY.

I despise nissan cubes and think they're one of the stupidest looking cars on the market.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have yet to find anyone who liked the Cube's looks besides me and my father. But that's how it was with the first gen xB's as well. I am leaning more towards the xB for the fact of space as the Cube from what I have seen doesn't have to much "Trunk" room Plus they seem to be a little pricier for what they are really worth IMO, plus I do love Nissans but I feel Scion/Toyota Last a bit longer. I AM a fan of the first gen xB's as well, but it's hard to find any that have less than 60,000 miles on them in the year 2013. Heck less than 100,000.

Honestly I would love to get a 2008 Subaru WRX, but they aren't made auto and my fiance doesn't know how to drive stick nor do I think it would be easy for her to learn....(Don't tell her I said that :p ) Plus they aren't the roomiest either.

Also, FYI how did I KNOW that You and Mike were going to chime in on this Nicole?

Kevin
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not big on Nissan's unless like the 350z or 370z. So I would never say get the cube.

I would say go for Scion because if I recall correctly, then Toyota owns Scion and I know a guy who has 260k miles on his Scion and it still runs strong. The main thing is keeping up the maintenance on a vehicle.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I'm not big on Nissan's unless like the 350z or 370z. So I would never say get the cube.

I would say go for Scion because if I recall correctly, then Toyota owns Scion and I know a guy who has 260k miles on his Scion and it still runs strong. The main thing is keeping up the maintenance on a vehicle.
    True that. My 2007 Nissan Versa that I just wrecked had over 160k on it, ran just as strong as the day I got it, still could get it up to 120mph without issue and I blame this soley on my maintance. Oil and oil filter changes every 5k with full synthetic oil. Premium Fill ups once a month, and all that good stuff. I always said I hated that car and regret buying it, but it did a great job for what it was and I do miss it.

Also, yes Toyota owns Scion, Just like BMW owns Mini.
    Country Born Exotics

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinb For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (07-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
    True that. My 2007 Nissan Versa that I just wrecked had over 160k on it, ran just as strong as the day I got it, still could get it up to 120mph without issue and I blame this soley on my maintance. Oil and oil filter changes every 5k with full synthetic oil. Premium Fill ups once a month, and all that good stuff. I always said I hated that car and regret buying it, but it did a great job for what it was and I do miss it.

Also, yes Toyota owns Scion, Just like BMW owns Mini.
    I'm not big on synthetic, because I wouldn't use it in a higher mileage car. I stick with Mobil 10w-30 every 3k miles. The filter isn't the problem, what happens around 3k and after is oil starts to break down, and then the oil gets diluted from gas and other stuff. The larger filters you can actually keep on because it still has great filtering capability, but since they've started making these tiny filters you can't do that. For example, a Motorcraft FL1A is a big filter, it fits the ford straight 6's(not sure of the year) and it's the filter for the 289-302 ford motors, not sure about the 302 in the newer mustangs as that's a different base. You could leave that filter on for two oil changes, though I wouldn't do it people have and no negative results. I just like changing my oil/filter every 3k miles, and I change the air filter as needed but I check it with every oil change. Once a month or sometimes every 5 refuels I use Lucas fuel treatment with premium. I would never recommend using any additives in the oil though. Oil works just fine how it is made and has the additives it needs already. I had an 1989 LX 5.0 5 speed that I raced and ran hard for well over 150k miles. If I recall once I got to around 175k-ish miles I had to add a little oil between oil changes but that car was driven hard everyday.

You get back what you put into your car. I do all my maintenance myself, and I'll even do preventative maintenance along the line. A lot of people don't and this is why I hate dealing with used cars, especially from the car lots. I'd rather meet the person I'm buying the car from so I can see how they take care of things, because to me that says a lot. I would never buy a car from a girl who has the attitude of being stuck-up because I can almost guarantee you she doesn't get the oil changed regularly. Sure it's not good to judge people, but asking simple questions always gives me the answers I need to know. I don't buy cars with rims either, because that normally results in transmission problems. People don't realize in automatic cars you should change the transmission fluid every 30k, because it breaks down and doesn't lubricate as good. Having huge rims on these cars is like towing something 24/7. It's bad on the motor and on the transmission, especially stopping & going.

Overall when you look up stuff depending your location what we think is "Normal Use, or Normal Service" is actually significantly wrong. Stopping & Going added with the heat of being down south is Extreme, and people don't realize that. Then the last pet peeve is when somebody is selling a car and says: "All Highway miles". So you mean to tell me you haven't driven one mile in the city? That's bull. Show me proof you owned the car since new and that you've only driven it on the highway, oh what is that? You can't? Well then to me those miles are hard miles. Same thing when people says this and that is rebuilt or changed, do you have papers, or can you show me proof? No? Then it didn't happen.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    I've got a first gen xB and I love it!! We have taken this thing to Colorado and back, New Mexico and back twice and like one billion trips between Dallas and Austin. The gas mileage can't be beat and I haven't had to do a thing to it besides regular maintenance. I would get another one after this one dies.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

I've seen plenty of used 2nd generation xbs with under 100K miles for around $10K. I almost got one but it was too new for me to be able to afford the insurance on it. It was an '11 or '12. I went with my '05 impreza that i have now and i've been happy with it. About 5K miles in and zero problems with it. Good gas mileage and good in the snow. The only thing i don't like is how low to the ground and sporty the interior is. I'm more about usability than looks. I don't LOVE it, but i like it. It's a good car.

And one more thing...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    I'd take the Toyota over the Nissan...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast