Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

4 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts

Dreams of breeding ball pythons? Kiss them goodbye.

there goes pacman frogs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Dreams of breeding ball pythons? Kiss them goodbye.

I used the link that Brian (Simple Man) had on FB to send the email
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Does anybody participate on any other pet forums? I know many of you keep other exotics (mammals, birds, etc). I don't know if any other exotic animal groups are aware of this proposal legislation, but it seems like we might be able to get some support as it may impact them as well.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blubb View Post
    Is there something European snake keepers can do? I assume we don't have any influence whatsoever in the Lacey Act. Or am I wrong?
    I am not sure it will help, but I would suggest emailing USFWS even if you are outside the US. I don't see how it could hurt. Here is the contact info, and a version of the letter you can use, in case you don't have one already.

Email Address: prevent_invasives@fws.gov.

Subject Line (please use this as the subject of your email): Categorical Exclusion; FWS–HQ–FHC–2013–N044

As a member of the herpetoculture community I am against the proposed US Fish & Wildlife “Categorical Exclusion” from NEPA mandates and I would like to support Senate EPW Ranking Member Vitter’s request for a 90 day extension on the public comment period.

This type of Categorical Exclusion is too far reaching and without precedent. It could facilitate the arbitrary addition of animals to the injurious wildlife list of the Lacey Act; potentially threatening the entire $1.4 billion annual commerce in reptiles and amphibians. Not only would it negate due process, but it would also negate legal recourse under NEPA. Categorical Exclusion could potentially become a tool to destroy my small business. Please consider the following points:

The proposed categorical exclusion bypasses the requirement to consider economic and social impacts under NEPA.
    A categorical exclusion would not allow FWS to fully consider the beneficial impacts of declining to list a species under the Lacey Act.
    The proposed categorical exclusion is much broader than any of the other eight exclusions that FWS has approved under “permitting and regulatory functions”.
    The FWS’s “extraordinary circumstances” exception to a categorical exclusion is unhelpful because it does not apply to actions with high economic impacts.
    Thank you.

BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Does anybody participate on any other pet forums? I know many of you keep other exotics (mammals, birds, etc). I don't know if any other exotic animal groups are aware of this proposal legislation, but it seems like we might be able to get some support as it may impact them as well.
    We have sent emails, sent typed letters and shared it every where we possibly can even recruiting friends and family that don't even necessarily like our snakes!
    I know USARK is working with PIJAC so hopefully they are spreading the word to other exotic groups!

Hopefully the members here that are part of other exotic forums and groups are sharing this info in those places as well!
    It definitely can't hurt!

Thanks

This makes me so mad. Why are they doing this and what do they think they're going to get out of it? No one realizes what the reptile breeding world is. For some, it's their job. That's how they make their ends meet, like BHB. I bet they don't have a second job. Some people are so ignorant about snakes, and if they come in and try to take my babies away I'll tell them just to hold a ball python and they'll realize what this is. Heck, a dog bite is worse than a ball python bite. this just makes me so mad.
    Proud founder of Beautiful Axanthic Ball Pythons
    Find us on Facebook
    FB https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulAxanthicBallPythons
    1.1 Pastel "Osiris and Isis"
    1.0 Pin "Odin"
    1.1 Het Axanthics
    1.0 bee "Hoopla"

Registered User SapphireTigress1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Another thing people dont seem to realize about this...Not only have they tried to ban all "exotics", they have attempted to ban all "constricting snakes". Ball pythons, corn snakes, sand boas, etc...pretty much all non-venomous are constrictors. This WILL eventually affect every single person who owns an animal.

BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelreg1362 View Post
    This makes me so mad. Why are they doing this and what do they think they're going to get out of it? No one realizes what the reptile breeding world is. For some, it's their job. That's how they make their ends meet, like BHB. I bet they don't have a second job. Some people are so ignorant about snakes, and if they come in and try to take my babies away I'll tell them just to hold a ball python and they'll realize what this is. Heck, a dog bite is worse than a ball python bite. this just makes me so mad.
    It is US Fish & Wildlife being pushed from the animal rights groups like PETA and HSUS(the true evils for all pet owners)!
    Their main goal is to eliminate ALL pets period!
    Its just easier for them to start with exotics, spec. our non main stream reptiles especially the larger constrictors because they aren't as popular and have a long standing stigma so a lot of people don't really care about them and don't understand what it really means in the long run.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ug. I guess that version of the letter didn't copy correctly. Let's try this again.

Subject Line: Categorical Exclusion; FWS–HQ–FHC–2013–N044
    As a member of the herpetoculture community I am against the proposed US Fish & Wildlife “Categorical Exclusion” from NEPA mandates and I would like to support Senate EPW Ranking Member Vitter’s request for a 90 day extension on the public comment period.
    This type of Categorical Exclusion is too far reaching and without precedent. It could facilitate the arbitrary addition of animals to the injurious wildlife list of the Lacey Act; potentially threatening the entire $1.4 billion annual commerce in reptiles and amphibians. Not only would it negate due process, but it would also negate legal recourse under NEPA. Categorical Exclusion could potentially become a tool to destroy my small business. Please consider the following points:

1. The proposed categorical exclusion bypasses the requirement to consider economic and social impacts under NEPA.
    2. A categorical exclusion would not allow FWS to fully consider the beneficial impacts of declining to list a species under the Lacey Act.
    3. The proposed categorical exclusion is much broader than any of the other eight exclusions that FWS has approved under “permitting and regulatory functions”.
    4. The FWS’s “extraordinary circumstances” exception to a categorical exclusion is unhelpful because it does not apply to actions with high economic impacts.

Thank you.

Registered User SapphireTigress1's Avatar
    Thanks
    So far, I've shared this information on:

*facebook
    *my facebook business page
    *axolotl forum
    *blue tongued skink forum
    *Carnivorous plant forum (off topic of course)
    *Hedgehog forum
    *Deviant Art
    *Youtube (a vastly truncated version X_X)
    *A random Doberman forum I'm on.

Dont just share with your reptile peeps! Share this EVERYWHERE you possibly can!!!!!!
    Last edited by SapphireTigress1; 07-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SapphireTigress1 For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (07-27-2013),DestinyLynette (07-26-2013),TheSnakeGeek (07-26-2013)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast