Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

2 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!

Thanks
    Hi guy's,

I have a slight problem. The guy that I am getting the BP from tomorrow needs to get rid of his Red Tegu and I don't have room! He wants to give it to me for free but, like I said I have no room I am in Baltimore Md and could hold onto it for a little while if someone would be interested in getting it from me.

What is it today? We had a stray kitten in our yard this morning that was cute as a button. We took it to the barn where we have our horses and luckily we found a good indoor home for it. I would have kept it, but my dogs would have made short work of it!

Danielle

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wish I could take him, Danielle! I hope you find a home for it!
    -- Judy

Thanks

I wish you could too. My mom told me to go ahead and take him for the time being ( and his welfare). If I can't find a home I will just keep him so I know that he is safe. Again, just like the BP it sounds like this will be a rescue as well. The guy has been feeding this Tegu live rats every week. He fed NO fruits or insects and didn't bother trying to supplement his calcium needs!! At least he got some calcium from the rats this guy fed him. Granted they do eat mice, but the main diet make up is fruits and insects. I'll be interested to see what I get tomorrow ( I was supposed to get the BP today but this guy got called into work). I'm beggining to feel like I have "I'll take your unwanted animal" tatooed on my forhead :o I don't mind though. I'd rather be able to find a home for unwanted animals then seeing them neglected or homeless.

Go figure, my mom of all people told me to go ahead and get the Tegu! This from the woman who always yelled at me when we lived on a farm for bringing various colubrids and lizards in the house :? She should've known I was herp crazy since I was little And 14 years later ( I'm 21) the addiction is still going strong

Danielle

Thanks
    Very cool Danielle! I've been looking into gettin an Argentine Black and White Tegu for a while now. But due to space constraints, i dont think i'll be getting one until early next year when they come out of hibernation.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's awesome that your Mom is so open-minded about it. I do hope you find a home for him, but at least you'll know for sure he won't be abandoned! Good luck with him!!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've taken in my share of needy animals (and people for that matter), and I'm sure there will be more along the way. That's great that your mom is letting you take him in. I was never allowed to have pets, well except fish and a couple parakeets. I guess I've made up for it since moving out!

Good luck!! Keep us posted on how it goes w/them.
    ~Caren~
    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." Confucius
    1.0 Other Half - Mark, 0.1 Child - Samantha
    1.0.2 BP:Smitty,Sophie,Unamed One, 1.1 Cali King:Serpico,Simone
    1.2 Canines, 0.2 Felines
    1.1 RES Turtles - Thomas & Thomasina

Thanks
    Oh man, he was worse than I thought he would be. Actually I thought the BP was going to be in worse shape. Like I said the guy had not been alternating his diet with fruits, insects, and mice. He just fed a "live rat" diet. And from that he has had horrible sheds and has lost a couple of toes due to his bad sheds. Infact he shed this week the guy said (which was obvious), however there is still some retained shed on his tail ( hence it was obvious he had shed ) Other than that he looks like he is in good shape. I am NOT going to handle him anytime soon! When the guy pulled him out of the pillow case he went berserk! I can't blame him as he was just removed from his "home", maybe he'll settle down in time.

Oh I almost forgot, not only did the BP not come with hides,a heat source,etc. ------ The Tegu didn't come with anything but a bowl :shock: Glad I had a heat pad for the BP and had a left over lamp from my Iguanas. I still have to go get a hide for the Tegu, need to find the Acu-Rite thermometer with the humidity gauge for both the BP, and Tegu, Need to get the UVB light set-up for the Tegu, and I also need to get a screen top for a 75g tank (yeah right!). Do any of you have ideas on how to fabricate a screen for the 75g? I have no clue as to how to do that ( self admitted lousy DIY'er)

I'm ready to play hard ball with this boy about eating his fruits and veggies I know he will hate me for it, but he'll get over it! Oh, I forgot to tell you his name................... BeefSteak :lol: He is so gorgeous even without his toes. I hope he comes to like me in time. Well, I shall keep you updated on his progress! Hope youre ready for questions

Danielle

Thanks
    The simplest way to make your own screen top for a 75g would ( in my opinion ) be to basically make a picture frame. I'm not too sure on the exact dimensions of a 75 gallon, but you'd have to get yourself some 1"x2"x8' pieces of lumber from Lowes or Home Depot and a roll of regualr old window screen. You would need to make the outside dimensions of the screen top about 1/4 of an inch bigger all the way around. It would look similar to this ( please excuse the crappy MS Paint Pic ) :
    The red would be the top of the physical 75g tank, and the black would be the top of the screen lid. Then all you would have to do is staple ( with a staple gun ) the window screen to the top of it and you'd have a custom removable screen top. Its not the greatest explanation, so if you have questions just let me know. I'll see if i can 3d render something better later.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Would regular old window screen hold up to the heat from the lights? I pretty much get what your saying. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me! 3d version would be great! I'll have to get dimensions of the tank for you tomorrow since Beefy is asleep

Thanks again Carson!

Danielle

Thanks
    Yup, I made a similar screen myself for an oddly-dimensioned tank a few years back. It will work just fine. However, a modified suggestion, if I may: you will likely find it useful (I did) to have one or two cross-bars going across the top and to which you'll attach the screen. It helps to stabilize the frame and also makes removing or securing the top easier.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast