Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

1 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Driving cross country with BP's

I'm in the navy, so my job requires me to move frequently. Right now, my BP's are on the west coast, with my wife, and I'm on the east coast. She is going to drive across country soon, and she will most likely be bringing them with her. I have the choice of having my father take care of them for the next 6 months, before hopefully returning there (but that isn't certain, or probably even likely), but I'd rather have them with me.

Is there anything I should make sure she knows to do to be prepared to make that trip with the BP's?

So far I have told her she'll need to keep them in snake bags, probably in a ventilated tub, in the shade in the car, not next to any vents, and to not leave them in the car alone more than 5 minutes (due to the heat). She'll most likely bring them with her in a bag if she goes to get food anywhere. It will take a good 3 full days of traveling to get here, so I think it would be good to have a temporary tub set up for them every night along the way, even if it isn't heated.

If anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any tips!
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

Thanks
    She could also overnight ship the snakes to you (or father) before she does... it might be a little more expensive, but also less stressful on the snakes and keep from accidents happening... even really prepared, three days is a long time and that's a lot of chances for an oops to occur, and how terrible would it be to have a sick or dying snake far away from home and far away from the destination?
    I think it'd be safer for the animals (and less of a stress on your wife) to get them overnight shipped the day before she leaves. This may be stupid, but can you have snakes on the base? I know there are some restrictions (ie pits) but I can't remember if it extends to reptiles. I'm guessing that you can by the wording?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

0.1 Normal Ball Python 'Tali'
    0.1 Western Hognose 'Argo'
    1.0 Jack Russell Terrier 'Keiko'
    0.1 Mexican Golden Red Rump Tarantula 'Charlotte'
    ----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa
    -More BP's (Bumblebee, Pied, Pastel)

Thanks
    I don't live on base, so that's not of concern. I was considering shipping as well, but I figured it might be easier to drive them here, especially since I work from 7am-7pm every week day right now.
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

Thanks
    You could have your father ship them once your wife gets there so someone will be home to pick them up.
    Last edited by waddada; 07-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    0.0.1 Pastel
    0.1 ButterBee
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Normal

0.1 Leopard Gecko(R.I.P. Kujo)
    1.0 Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Re: Driving cross country with BP's

For that few animals, if you can swing it it'll be way less headache to have them shipped to you. Have them held at the local hub, and you can pick them up on your lunch break.

I traveled cross-country with snakes in the winter. I used a reptile basics rack, and while I was driving the snakes were in bags in the tubs. I packed heat packs around the outside of the tubs to keep them from freezing in the back of the car. The rack loaded easily into our small suv, and took up very little space. At night when we'd stop, I'd set them up in the divided tubs and plug the rack in with a thermostat. Made sure that everyone had plenty of fresh water to drink.

If I'd had the option, it would have been way less stress for me to have them shipped to me.
    `*`

Thanks

Re: Driving cross country with BP's

I drove from San Diego to Mass with one snake a year ago and back to San Diego this May with 6 snakes. I chose to drive with them because I had no one on the other end to receive and set them up and all materials were with me.

I had them each in a bag with a paper towel each and with heated hand warmers wrapped in socks. Every night, I set up their tubs with heat, hides, and fresh water and I kept the tubs covered with towels. I never notified hotel staff they were there.

The funniest part of the trip was when we stopped in Vegas to visit my 98 year old aunt. My aunt is terrified of the tiniest bug, but I couldn't leave my snakes in the car in 100 degree Vegas weather! I carried them in their ventilated box into her house and told her I had some perishables that I couldn't allow to overheat. If she had known that she had just welcomed 6 snakes into her home she would have been beyond mortified!!

Anyway, I had no skipped meals and everything went smoothly. I would advise skipping a feeding before the trip so they have time to eliminate before you leave. If they don't, that's when the paper towel in each bag comes in handy Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Theres a great article out there written by a fellow BP.net member about travelling with snakes. I'll look for it and post it here for you.
    ~Mary
    1.0 Normal BP, Zuma
    0.1 Western Hognose, Apache
    0.0.1 Biak GTP, Borneo
    0.0.1 Rosy boa, Borrego
    1.0 CA Kingsnake, Woodson
    0.1 Dwarf boa, Margarita
    1.0 Mack Snow Leo, Aurora
    1.0 Hypino Leo, Puppy
    0.1 Tremper Albino Leo, Robin
    0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise, Maple and Buttermilk
    1.0 African Bullfrog, Miguel
    0.0.1 Leachianus, Banjo

Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who does nothing because he could do only a little.