Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

1 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Hello, got a baby corn!

So the other day, I was getting some more water bottles for my mouse breeding project that kinda has gotten nuts! Lol, anyways, I walked by my petsmarts reptile area, and I saw crickets in with the corn snakes, I was like what the.... So anyways I had to ask about their care and feeding.....ya they are feeding them crickets and rosy red minnows...... I was just shocked...... Anyways, I talked to the manager and let them know why that's wrong, don't think it'll change anything but at least I tried, anyways cause of my "complaining" I had another word I was going to use for this, I ended up with one of their babies, yes I paid money, but he looked at me a certain way and I couldn't leave him, so now I have a new guy, he is in quartile and weights 7 grams, I'm about to offer him food when my next batch is born, should be any day now, but I'm looking for all the advice I can get, his cage is small at the moment, it's kept at 80-84 degrees, has plenty of hides, and is active in the evenings! What info can the great people here give me so I can make this little guy just great!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Centexsnakes For This Useful Post:

Melody (08-17-2013)

Thanks
    By the way I've tried twice with red pinkies but he didn't take, I'm sure cause he was still new and getting used to his new world...

Thanks

Re: Hello, got a baby corn!

It looks to be an anery. I have been keeping corns for many years. Regarding the feeding, they do not usually require live food. Most babies will start on a frozen / thawed day-old pinky mouse for their first meal. I serve my new babies a brained frozen / thawed day-old pinky inside a small lidded container that is 8-ounce size or smaller, which seems to help them focus. No tongs or tease feeding required. It's pretty different than how I feed ball pythons but usually works quite well for corns. Good luck!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wendhend For This Useful Post:

Centexsnakes (07-18-2013)

Thanks

Hello, got a baby corn!

It's terrible that they keep these animals and don't even know how to take care of them... Oh well it's just how SOME of pet stores are.Beautiful corn snake by the way. Well I would advise having a warm and a cool side. The cool side being 76-80 and the warm side being 84-87. DO NOT USE A HEAT MAT WITHOUT THE THERMOMETER. If you don't want to use a heat mat( like me) have a day bulb on one side of the tank and a night bulb on the other (Ex. For a 20 gallon use a 50 watt night and a 75 watt day). Corn snakes or at least all the ones I have seen love to burrow so make sure you have something they can burrow in like aspen or reptibark(what I use)NO SAND. Plenty of hides since he just a baby and scared of everything. Try to have a humidity box for when he sheds. This is a picture of what I have my 30 inch corn snake in. Hope this helps.
    Ghost stripe corn snake
    irian jaya/coastal carpet python

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saxy snake For This Useful Post:

Centexsnakes (07-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks! Because all my baby mice are too big for this little guy and I'm not expecting more for a few days to a week or so I went bought some frozen pinkies, he's had a good five days to kinda relax so I'm gonna try and feed him, should I just try in his cage first or go straight for the deli cup, what do y'all think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
    It looks to be an anery. I have been keeping corns for many years. Regarding the feeding, they do not usually require live food. Most babies will start on a frozen / thawed day-old pinky mouse for their first meal. I serve my new babies a brained frozen / thawed day-old pinky inside a small lidded container that is 8-ounce size or smaller, which seems to help them focus. No tongs or tease feeding required. It's pretty different than how I feed ball pythons but usually works quite well for corns. Good luck!
    Wendy knows her stuff! I've got a corn from her and they are the best eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Saxy snake View Post
    It's terrible that they keep these animals and don't even know how to take care of them... Oh well it's just how SOME of pet stores are.Beautiful corn snake by the way. Well I would advise having a warm and a cool side. The cool side being 76-80 and the warm side being 84-87. DO NOT USE A HEAT MAT WITHOUT THE THERMOMETER. If you don't want to use a heat mat( like me) have a day bulb on one side of the tank and a night bulb on the other (Ex. For a 20 gallon use a 50 watt night and a 75 watt day). Corn snakes or at least all the ones I have seen love to burrow so make sure you have something they can burrow in like aspen or reptibark(what I use)NO SAND. Plenty of hides since he just a baby and scared of everything. Try to have a humidity box for when he sheds. This is a picture of what I have my 30 inch corn snake in. Hope this helps.
    I hope you meant to say thermostat.

Anyway, since the ambient temp for you is 80-84, you don't need any additional heating. If you are using heating to achieve that, just make sure heat mats are on a thermostat and lamps are on a dimmer. I offer my corns a hot spot of about 85-86* because my ambient temps are in the 70s. I have some of my corns in a rack and they have belly heat and one is in a display tank and she has a heat lamp. Corns are pretty hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Centexsnakes View Post
    Thanks! Because all my baby mice are too big for this little guy and I'm not expecting more for a few days to a week or so I went bought some frozen pinkies, he's had a good five days to kinda relax so I'm gonna try and feed him, should I just try in his cage first or go straight for the deli cup, what do y'all think?
    I would put him in a deli cup at least for the first few feedings. After that, he should just take it from you off tongs. I feed off the Munson plan (you can google it) and I have healthy growing corns.

Thanks
    So my little guy did not eat, i had him in a deli cup overnight, but no luck, I'm going to wait 4 days and try again, probably with half a pinkie to see if that gets him going, I'll keep this update! It's just frustrating cause I know he is hungry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Centexsnakes View Post
    So my little guy did not eat, i had him in a deli cup overnight, but no luck, I'm going to wait 4 days and try again, probably with half a pinkie to see if that gets him going, I'll keep this update! It's just frustrating cause I know he is hungry
    I had a corn snake (well...I still have her but she's a much better eater now) who I had to feed a live pinkie in a deli cup for almost 2 months before she would eat live on her own and then another month or two before I could get her to eat F/T. Most corns will eat F/T pinkies with no issue. This one was just a little tougher.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

Centexsnakes (07-23-2013)

Thanks
    Well I was going to wait a few more days but I had one of my mice give birth and kill her young so I salvaged what I could to the freezer, figured because the blood might get a feeding response I put one of the poor things into his cage, lets hope in the morning there is no pinkie and a fat happy snake!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The big box pet stores often get babies that are wholesaled right out of the egg. 7 grams is basically hatching weight, so your snake may have never eaten at all. I wish you lots of luck with him!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

Centexsnakes (07-23-2013)

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast