Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

4 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Taking Thor to the er vet :(

Quote Originally Posted by SlitherinSisters View Post

So far these blood tests have been done: CBC
    This checks the basic system functions for infection and overall health. The number of red cells, the total number of white cells, the number of each type of white cell (who even knew there were 5 different kinds of white blood cells), the number of platelets, and the health of the red blood cells are calculated/counted. This can indicate (just for example) if the animal has cancer, what kind it has, if it is fighting an infection, if it is waging war with parasites, if it has a congenital defect, etc. It can also tell if it there are metabolic issues, (elevated protein in the blood plasma, etc) which can indicate if there are problems in the kidney or liver system.

a diagnostic vetscan panel
    This looks at specific blood chemical values (albumin, urea, sodium, potassium, lactate, creatinine) as well as enzyme levels (AST, CK, depending on which series of tests are run). These are needed in conjunction with the CBC results to look at key system function (again those kidneys and that liver).

HWT/Lyme/Ehrilchia/Anaplasma have been done.
    These diseases (caused by parasites) can cause chronic pain and the symptoms you have described; I would imagine that there were probably elevated eosinophil values in the CBC (the White cell associated with inflammation, allergies, and parasite response) or they ran it because it is tick season (and the last 3 can be carried by ticks)

Sorry for rambling; figured I'd help clear some confusion up
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (07-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    This checks the basic system functions for infection and overall health. The number of red cells, the total number of white cells, the number of each type of white cell (who even knew there were 5 different kinds of white blood cells), the number of platelets, and the health of the red blood cells are calculated/counted. This can indicate (just for example) if the animal has cancer, what kind it has, if it is fighting an infection, if it is waging war with parasites, if it has a congenital defect, etc. It can also tell if it there are metabolic issues, (elevated protein in the blood plasma, etc) which can indicate if there are problems in the kidney or liver system.

This looks at specific blood chemical values (albumin, urea, sodium, potassium, lactate, creatinine) as well as enzyme levels (AST, CK, depending on which series of tests are run). These are needed in conjunction with the CBC results to look at key system function (again those kidneys and that liver).

These diseases (caused by parasites) can cause chronic pain and the symptoms you have described; I would imagine that there were probably elevated eosinophil values in the CBC (the White cell associated with inflammation, allergies, and parasite response) or they ran it because it is tick season (and the last 3 can be carried by ticks)

Sorry for rambling; figured I'd help clear some confusion up
    Wow, thanks for all the info! They really did check everything blood wise, wow! I think the last one was mostly to make sure Thor didn't have lymes disease. I didn't vaccinate him for that yet this year.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (07-18-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aes_Sidhe View Post
    Dang Steph HHHHUUUUUUUGE amount of Good Vibe and positive thinking id goin His Way... Well I thing THOR will not give up easy!!!
    Lol that's true! Although the vet laughed at his name since Thor is so sad and hurting. He just shivered and hung his head the whole time we were at the vet.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Edit, forgot an update! He's doing much better, although he woke me up crying this morning as soon as his meds wore off. He has to take a pill every 8 hours. He's on Tramadol. I don't remember what the vet wanted to put him on.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 07-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-18-2013),Mephibosheth1 (07-18-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think the last one was mostly to make sure Thor didn't have lymes disease
    Tiny nitpicky detail, but it's called Lyme disease, not "lymes". It's just one of those little things that really bother me when people say it wrong, sorry!

He's on Tramadol. I don't remember what the vet wanted to put him on.
    Rimadyl or carprofen is probably what he wanted, but it's not safe for dogs with kidney/liver values out of whack. Tramadol is pretty safe, though.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sita For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (07-18-2013),SlitherinSisters (07-18-2013)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, he's pretty much back to normal as long as he's on the meds. You can tell when it has been 8 hours since his last pill. Also, getting him to take the pill is impossible! He won't eat anything I offer him because he thinks it has a pill in it. UGH! I did some reading online and they said to try crushing it and putting it in yogurt. I think I'm going to try that because I'm out of ideas.

Here are a couple of pictures of him when he's not sad
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 07-19-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Ask the vet for suppositories - a week of that he will be whining for a pill.

Glad to hear he is doing so well though.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (07-24-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    A couple things we tell people to try: try hiding it in chunky peanut butter, since it's harder to tell between a pill and a peanut. Also, soft treats (Pill Pockets are good) wrapped around it, cheese wiz, bread, or lunch meat are options. I don't think Tramadol has much of a flavor, so the yogurt thing might work. There are some meds that you absolutely couldn't do that with because they taste so nasty.

Another trick is to have at least 3-4 pieces that look identical, except only one has the pill in it. Give him one or two without, then the one with, then immediately give the next one before he's even done with the pill one. That way he's thinking about the next treat he sees coming, rather than thinking about what's in his mouth.

He's a cutie! I'm glad the Tramadol is working for him.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sita For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wet cat food (not the chunks kind) works well.

If he doesn't want to take it in that even, if you grab his mouth from behind his head where his largest tooth is at on the side (third premolar) you should be able to tip his head back, then use your other hand to open his mouth and plop the glob of "cat food a la pill" into the back if his throat. You usually don't have to worry about choking unless you shove it WAYY back in there.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    Wet cat food (not the chunks kind) works well.

If he doesn't want to take it in that even, if you grab his mouth from behind his head where his largest tooth is at on the side (third premolar) you should be able to tip his head back, then use your other hand to open his mouth and plop the glob of "cat food a la pill" into the back if his throat. You usually don't have to worry about choking unless you shove it WAYY back in there.
    This. Just make sure that when you're putting your finger with the pill into his mouth that you go straight to the back of his mouth (i.e. through the incisors) and not by the side, because let me tell you it hurts quite a bit when they (accidentally or not) close their molars on your finger. You'll know he's swallowed it when he licks his nose.

I hope everything keeps going well, I'm glad his meds are helping him!
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I always had good luck giving the pills inside a folded up piece of American cheese.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast