Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

2 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Pest control is coming to take care of bugs; what do we do with our snakes??

So last night I was informed by my boyfriend, with who I live with, that his parents have pest control is coming tmrw, to take care of an ant problem, and they will be spraying the house. When we woke up this morning we both had a realization of , oh my what are we gonna do with our snakes? (he has a salmon boa, and i have a bp). I am NOT leaving the snakes in the house, as I know how sensitive their lungs are, and I think I can handle keeping their temperatures ok while we are out for a bit, but its going to take 1-4 hours, and im not sure will it be safe for the snakes to come back into the house afterwards? Or any tips for taking care of the snakes while we have to leave for a bit? Anyone been in this situation?

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would ask the pest control ppl what to do.

We had an issue before, and they sprayed the outside of the house, not the inside.

Thanks
    I, too, was able to fix my roach and ant problem simply by having them spray outside the house. One time my place got INFESTED with cat fleas, and at that point I had to have my whole house sprayed (my roommate didn't clean up after her kitties and the place was horrible... my poor dogs suffered for it), but to stop ants and roaches we just had them spray all around the house, concentrating on the doors and windows and bushes around the house. It worked like a charm. At the very least I would remove them from the house during the treatment, leave the room they live in untreated with the door closed and the frame lined with tape around the sides and top, with a towel at the bottom. I'd also block the vents if you have central air for a couple of days. Then I would clean their everything when I got back. I mean, let's face it... exterminators usually consider snakes a form of pests (right up there with poltergeists, hehe), so I doubt their spray is very friendly to them. They don't even let YOU back in the house for quite awhile after they're done (or mine didn't, anyway) while the fumes settle down, so I'm sure for a snake, it's not pretty at all.
    Last edited by Puck; 07-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Snakes are like potato chips... you can't stop after just one bite!

1.0.0 Enchi Ball Python (Chaz)
    0.0.1 Albino Cali King (Timmy)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    I would ask the parents for the company, and then call the company about what chemicals they use. If they use an organic chemical, then you'll be fine. You may need to remove them from the house for a few hours until the smell clears out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go over to someone's house. They will be fine in room temps for that short of a period. Snakes are in room temps for the entire weekend at snake shows. Also, make sure the spray doesn't get in their tanks just to be safe.

Thanks

Re: Pest control is coming to take care of bugs; what do we do with our snakes??

Call the company and ask them or the workers when they come. Depending on the type of chemicals they're using and how strong the fumes are you may not have to move them or even leave the house. Management had our complex sprayed and they went through every apartment, when they came I told them about my reptiles. What they were using wasn't safe for reptiles so they just sprayed all the areas where I don't keep mine like the kitchen, cabinets in the bathroom things like that.

Thanks
    I'm extra paranoid when our apartment complex brings in people to spray b/c I keep frogs as well, and they're even more sensitive than my snakes. For what they spray here, if it's being sprayed in a separate room, just stuffing a towel under the door is enough. If your snakes are on floor level, it might be good to put them up on a table or something. If they're spraying the actual room the snakes are in, I'd be wary of bringing my snakes back in same day though.