Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Loss of a Companion Please help

I, too, had to go through a very similar situation a few years ago. Anyway, we got Lady, an abused purebred rottie as a 5 year old rescue, and she joined our rot/Aussie mix Natalie, who was 2 at the time. They grew very close over the years. Natalie had always had extreme separation anxiety along with a host of other neurotic behaviors. At about the age of 13, Lady went downhill very quickly and had to be out down. Bast darn dog I've ever had. We left Natalie at home, it was hard enough bringing Lady in, let alone dealing with Natalie at the vet.

After we got home, Natalie was very withdrawn and depressed. About a week after putting Lady down, Natalie disappeared. I've never found out what happened to her, but no one let her out, left any doors open or anything. I personally think she left so she could go die on her own. It was absolutely heartbreaking, but I don't think there was anything we could've done to ease Natalie's pain. Hopefully your girl will deal with it better, but really there's no telling how an individual dog will deal with the loss of a mate. My advice is to give her extra attention and keep her occupied.
    Last edited by MootWorm; 07-15-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of advice. Heres a few pics of the boy in all his glory. He was always such a nut! I know that this is a reptile forum but thanks for being patient while I post a few pics of my furry child too!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norwegn113 For This Useful Post:

Abigail (07-17-2013),DooLittle (07-15-2013),satomi325 (07-16-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Loss of a Companion Please help

I have never had more than one dog, so I can't speak on that. However, I have multiple cats. I recently lost my oldest one. I had heard about letting the other animals smell them after passing. Thought it a bit wierd. Since we were bringing her home to bury, ( I had to have her here, I've had her longer than my husband) my vet recommended that. It was the strangest thing. It was very hard on me, but we brought her home and laid her on the living room floor. All the animals came and sniffed her. Even the other cat she never got along with. And oddly enough, after that they never missed a beat. I really do think it gave them some closure. I am very sorry for your loss. That has got to be the hardest thing ever to do.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    I thought this was worth mentioning. She may find going to the vets stressful if your girl has anxiety issues. Taking her into what she views as a stressful situation may not help things and it will even compound if you are not in a calm state of mind. You may never have an easy time taking her to the vets again if she does have a bad experience.

Sorry to hear the situation you are in, it is inevitable but us pet lovers hope the day never has to come. Best of luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hig For This Useful Post:

norwegn113 (07-15-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hig View Post
    I thought this was worth mentioning. She may find going to the vets stressful if your girl has anxiety issues. Taking her into what she views as a stressful situation may not help things and it will even compound if you are not in a calm state of mind. You may never have an easy time taking her to the vets again if she does have a bad experience.

Sorry to hear the situation you are in, it is inevitable but us pet lovers hope the day never has to come. Best of luck!
    your statement holds alot of truth. That is the same thing I though. We have a hard time getting her to the vet now an if she associates the vets office with her mates death I may never get her there again! After much deliberation I think its best to leave her home. I think she knows he is sick and I plan on being in the room and holding him til he passes so im sure she will smell his death on me when I get home. Im hoping im making the right choice but right or wrong its what I feel is best!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    I have never had more than one dog, so I can't speak on that. However, I have multiple cats. I recently lost my oldest one. I had heard about letting the other animals smell them after passing. Thought it a bit wierd. Since we were bringing her home to bury, ( I had to have her here, I've had her longer than my husband) my vet recommended that. It was the strangest thing. It was very hard on me, but we brought her home and laid her on the living room floor. All the animals came and sniffed her. Even the other cat she never got along with. And oddly enough, after that they never missed a beat. I really do think it gave them some closure. I am very sorry for your loss. That has got to be the hardest thing ever to do.
    It's done with horses at the barn where I board my old guy. The place is a retirement facility where most of the boarders are 20+, so they lose several a year due to age or health issues. Since the vet comes out to put horses down the other ones in the field do have the chance to sniff the body so they know what happened. It does seem to keep the rest of the herd settled.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    It's done with horses at the barn where I board my old guy. The place is a retirement facility where most of the boarders are 20+, so they lose several a year due to age or health issues. Since the vet comes out to put horses down the other ones in the field do have the chance to sniff the body so they know what happened. It does seem to keep the rest of the herd settled.
    I've experienced a similar situation.
    We have a few dogs. My personal dogs and my boyfriend's mother's retired breeding stock. As a pack, they've seen more than a few dog deaths and buried pack members. They've never really changed or acted differently because they have each other and were able to see/smell for themselves what happened to that lost pack member. No confusion of wondering when that missing dog was coming back and what not. It was a 'closure' perhaps?

I have ferrets. Ferrets are prone to go into deep depression if a cage mate dies. Some will be so depressed, they die shortly after. Especially when kept in pairs. I do know having 3+ or getting a new friend remedies it. That way the remaining ferret isn't left alone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    I've both seen dogs and had dogs who panic when their doggy friends leave. It's actually really incredible in my opinion. I think the dog will be able to recover from its loss but that doesn't mean it won't be difficult and I truly believe your dog will have a mourning period. Sometimes I think people try to make animals seem so...oh, what's the word(s)? Soul-less? I don't know. Maybe it sounds silly, but bonds between animals (and people!) can be extremely strong.

I'm so sorry for your loss...Your dog was beautiful...RIP.
    Last edited by Abigail; 07-17-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    well everyone, he is gone! he passed very peacefully! It was the hardest thing I have had to do to date! I loved that sweet boy! We brought home his collar and the blanket he was laying on . We laid it on the ground and his mate sniffed it then went right to the back door where she has sat waiting for him! Im afraid its going to be a long nite!

Thanks

This thread made me tear up. Releasing an old friend from their suffering is a horrendously difficult yet selfless decision. *hugs*
    I don't know what to do about the friend dog waiting... maybe at some point down the road you could foster some puppies for a shelter to help yall both grieve. Poor baby

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast