Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

0 members and 3,091 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Does he have a hide? Maybe he's digging because he's looking for a more secure place. That could also have something to do with the aggression...like he's not feeling secure and is, therefore, aggitated? We had a hide in my guy's viv for a long time and never used it, but I have heard of plenty that do use hides. Worth a shot!

Thanks

Extremely agressive Bearded Dragon - help?

Quote Originally Posted by kameo37 View Post
    Here's my thing with sand...yes, people keep beardies on sand and never have a problem. Some people have had problems (impaction) with keeping them on sand. Why risk it? I have seen some threads saying that actually beardies don't live the majority of their lives on layer upon layer of sand in the wild, that it's actually rock or forest-ish areas that have a thin spread of sand. I hate to even write that though since I don't have it handy to quote. In the end, it's a risk...not one I would be willing to take with a pet.
    On the "keeping it natural" note, I really don't think anyone is trying to keep beardies exactly like they live in the wild. Or any animal, for that matter. Life in the wild is tough! Life expectancy in captivity is much higher. We are actually trying to provide them with ideal conditions, conducive to long, healthy lives. My beardie eats all kinds of veggies and insects that I am positive are not native to Australia.
    Anyway, I'm glad your bearded dragon never had problems living on sand. We are all just trying to provide excellent lives for our scaled friends, aren't we? My advice isn't the only way, just one. Take everything with a grain of salt...or sand!
    Lol, made me laugh about the last sentence...

I had success with sand and doesn't make in necessarily right, but it is an option...

I'm sure life expectancy in the wild is actually MUCH higher aside from predation... Look at snakes like retics and condas, don't see them in captivity nearly as massive as wild specimens....

Look at the retic found in Indonesia, almost 49ft long and over 950lbs? That's insane!
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda
    -1.0 Yellow Anaconda

Thanks
    I didn't see this until now but I think kameo got the basics covered care-wise. Sand is a controversial topic with beardie people. Personally, I keep my adults on it but I use washed white play sand and I put it in the tank wet, let it dry up and then put them back in. It creates a harder surface but still allows them to dig, more like the naturally packed sand/dirt they live on in the wild.

Handling seems to be more the key here. Just remember, pet or not, he's still a wild animal. If you're scared of him, he'll pick up on that. They sense things that humans can't begin to. While it's understandable that you're now nervous with him, just remember, you're much bigger than he is and though a bite can hurt (been there...), he can't truly injure you. Try just letting him lay on your hand/arm supporting his chest/body with your palm so he can look out. Sit in a quiet room with no other people or animals to allow him to see that it's ok. Chances are your brother scared him just by moving and he reacted. I'm going to guess your reaction wasn't that calm after having a large beardie attach himself to your ear and I don't blame you. Just teach him that he's safe and it's alright to be around you. Just don't put him back the moment he gets moody. They are very intelligent creatures. You can also try using treats to train him. If he associates you picking him up with a waxworm (or another small favorite treat), he'll quickly look to be picked up. Just make sure you keep plenty on hand for him. Slowly drop the amount of treats as he gets used to it. Before long, you'll be asking how to get him to go back in his enclosure. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks

Re: Extremely agressive Bearded Dragon - help?

In the corner of his tank he has an orange rock. It's hallowed out and has no bottom. It also has a hole in it. But I had to remove it because he will dig under it, and then trap himself inside.

Thanks

So, I've taken off the glove. He's letting me pet him and hold him. Well, we're still working on the holding aspect of our friendship. But it seems to be all about how I was afraid. Now that I'm showing I'm not, things are getting much better

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DPranks For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (07-11-2013),kameo37 (07-25-2013)

Thanks
    Animals really can sense fear, and will use it to their advantage! My girl is all bark and no bite-- I was reluctant to handle her when I first got her, because she always seemed so agitated. Now, she puffs up a little when I pick her up, but she knows I won't be intimidated and calms down fairly quickly.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

well if that's the best we can do then do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12