Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

0 members and 3,174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Unexpected death: RIP Vera (necropsy?)

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    The fatty tissue and he explained that when he checked her exterior instead of having the healthy body shape of a slight triangle or circular she was actually shaped like what I would call an apple (ie fat actually bulging out from her spine, if that makes sense)? I feel bad that I've never noticed her shaped like this before (she always looked and felt circular to me) and tomorrow I'll be looking everyone over to see if they're showing this body shape. If any are (I'll be looking especially close at my adult King who's been on the same feeding schedule as Vera) I'll take some pics and they'll be going on a diet.
    Thank you for sharing this. I too keep several corns and I usually feed on a 7-day schedule. I've always been under the notion that you feed weekly until they are about 300g and then breeding females are continued on this schedule and all others on a 10-14 day schedule. However, I will take this new information and see about modifying my feeding routine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this, she was a gorgeous snake and it's never easy. Glad you're getting some answers, very curious about the final report, I really hope it's nothing worrisome for the rest. Now you have me wondering if I may be overfeeding my corn?

If you don't mind, what vet did you go through? I always like to know the good ones around me.
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    I wonder if this will cause any breeders to rethink their 'get my female up to breeding weight as soon as possible' mentality. If it could potentially lower the life expectancy of the snake and thus reduce the number of clutches a breeder could have, I am sure it would impact profits.

Thanks for sharing the necropsy findings. It has me thinking of slowing down my feeding schedule. Just because a snake takes an offered meal doesn't mean it necessarily needs said meal I guess. Time to do a little research methinks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kensa For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

Thank you for the support guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, she was a gorgeous snake and it's never easy. Glad you're getting some answers, very curious about the final report, I really hope it's nothing worrisome for the rest. Now you have me wondering if I may be overfeeding my corn?

If you don't mind, what vet did you go through? I always like to know the good ones around me.
    I've always read that the norm was every 7 days (hence what I've been doing), but I will sure be doing the 10-14 day schedule now for my older colubrids and bull snake.

I went to see Dr. Johnson of Exotic Animal Hospital in Mesa. I highly recommend him: maybe in a way it was a good thing that my local vet was out as he isn't as knowledgeable with snakes as Dr. Johnson. I haven't shared this yet as I've been monitoring her but I took my other corn snake female (one I got as an adult) to him for surgery a couple months back (which was a success): long story short she had to be spayed because she became egg bound after been paired a full two years previous with the previous owner. If anyone is interested I can write up some info on this and post it in the corn section.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensa View Post
    I wonder if this will cause any breeders to rethink their 'get my female up to breeding weight as soon as possible' mentality. If it could potentially lower the life expectancy of the snake and thus reduce the number of clutches a breeder could have, I am sure it would impact profits.

Thanks for sharing the necropsy findings. It has me thinking of slowing down my feeding schedule. Just because a snake takes an offered meal doesn't mean it necessarily needs said meal I guess. Time to do a little research methinks.
    I would hope most know that feeding too much too frequently is harmful to the snake's health and life span, but that's why I was so shocked to hear about her weight since I was feeding the same as what I've read many times over. Vera was never to be a breeder: she was a pet and fed accordingly (or so I thought) and never got spoiled with seconds or fed sooner than her 7 days.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (07-11-2013)

Thanks

I went to see Dr. Johnson of Exotic Animal Hospital in Mesa. I highly recommend him: maybe in a way it was a good thing that my local vet was out as he isn't as knowledgeable with snakes as Dr. Johnson. I haven't shared this yet as I've been monitoring her but I took my other corn snake female (one I got as an adult) to him for surgery a couple months back (which was a success): long story short she had to be spayed because she became egg bound after been paired a full two years previous with the previous owner. If anyone is interested I can write up some info on this and post it in the corn section.

Thanks, good to know as many good vets as one can.

I would be interested in that thread, outta always good to learn about medical issues and experiences.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    Thanks, good to know as many good vets as one can.

I would be interested in that thread, outta always good to learn about medical issues and experiences.

When I get home from work I can do a write up on it: it was a very (stressful) but interesting experience.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    0.0.1 Corn

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (07-11-2013),Coleslaw007 (07-11-2013)

Thanks

When I get home from work I can do a write up on it: it was a very (stressful) but interesting experience.
    I too would like to read it. I'll be breeding one of my corns in March and I would love to read this perspective on problems when breeding.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    I got the results on her tissues today:

Looks like she had no virus or the like that could jeopardize my other snakes, so that's good. It did show that she did have an intestinal infection and pneumonia. They were unable to tell what came first (they believe she probably got an intestinal infection that then in turn made her come down with the pneumonia that then affected her heart). The pneumonia could in turn be the reason why I saw her open mouth breathing near the end. They are unsure how these infections came about so it may have been one of those unfortunate things that happened: I will be keeping an eye on my others though for a good while. Everyone else still isn't showing any signs of illness.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    0.0.1 Corn

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-24-2013),Coleslaw007 (07-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Unexpected death: RIP Vera (necropsy?)

Weird... I hope everyone else stays healthy!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-23-2013)

Thanks

I'm really glad to hear it's nothing you need to worry about your others over. It's scary that they can be sick and never show any signs.

Balls:
    Other critters:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Coleslaw007 For This Useful Post:

Daybreaker (07-23-2013)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast