Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,942

2 members and 2,940 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Happens often this time of year; the shelter Im interning at is probable full of escaped animals after all the fireworks last night. Even big dogs like that get pretty freaked out over the noise etc.

And almost all dogs have the POTENTIAL (not saying all do or will....please don't kill me) to eat/attack farm animals. And domestic dogs are one of the only species that will attack them just for the heck of it, without even being hungry. I think it has something to do with the domestication process that the connection between "hunt" and "food" was lost in the domestic dog.

Glad to hear that there is a happy ending on both ends of this; It's refreshing to hear about people who are interested in all kinds of animals (chickens...really?? o_O) and that the owners of the dogs are at least trying to care for them instead of just leaving them in the backyard while theyre on Vacation.
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-05-2013),Anya (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I'm glad things are looking up. I'm sure the owner would have been more than happy to buy you more chickens. However jumping straight to legal actions is not the answer. I applaud you for handling this well and not sinking into one of America's frivolous lawsuits before talking to the dogs owner. Why people can not simply ask for the responsible to make the accident right is beyond me. Not very neighborly and a good way to start a feud.

I also commend you for realizing dogs are dogs and even the sweetest ones still enjoy hunting and killing. Living in the country my dogs always brought use gifts including our chickens if they got out.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Glad to hear everything is turning out all right!! I totally agree with you about irresponsible dog ownership, but it does appear that this was quite possibly an honest mistake. I respect you deeply for not blaming the dogs. So many people - even animal people - would blame a bully breed like that no matter what the circumstances. Most often, the dogs are not to blame - only ignorant people.

No matter what, I am very glad to hear your chickies are back! They look good! I hope Dot heals up well and quickly for you.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Why some people shouldn't own dogs...

I'm so glad the rest made it back ok! Fingers crossed for Dot! She needs a little chicken medal.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Why some people shouldn't own dogs...

Aww Dot took one for the team, lol. Poor chickens I do hate that people let high prey drive dogs run loose. I'm sure it was an accident in this case, but people need to take every precaution with breeds that will kill small animals.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quick update - Dot seems to be doing pretty well. She's content to sit in her carrier in the kitchen all day, but is eating and drinking, and strongly disapproves of the meds getting syringed down her throat twice a day! A fight is always a good sign, IMO. Sadly, this isn't the first chicken I've nursed back from an animal attack, so I have much more practice at administering than she does at fighting me off! I make a point to handle each of my girls occasionally, though, just so experiences like this don't have the added trauma of "Why is the human TOUCHING me?!?!" Hopefully I'll have halfway-healed pics of her to share next week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (07-09-2013),DooLittle (07-09-2013),Mephibosheth1 (07-09-2013),Mike41793 (07-09-2013),Pyrate81 (07-09-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    So glad your girls made it!!! Glad you understand dogs enough to realize that's just what they do sometimes. I really hate saying this... but if it were my dog (before she underwent aversion training!) they wouldn't have made it. That dog of mine killed a neighbor's chicken who came into our yard, and another one of mine who made it out of her yard. I worked on aversion training and now she's great around the chickens, but I would never trust her alone if I could help it. Her prey drive is extremely strong (pointer/staffordshire mix).

I was having an issue with a neighbor not long ago. Their dog HATES other animals. Killed one of her owner's cats, then kept trying to get into my yard to attack my dogs. She actually succeeded in getting into my yard three times - once while my dogs were inside the house (thankfully) and twice while my dogs were outside, but after we put up a double fence (thankfully! that second fence kept her from being able to reach our dogs). I was worried sick she'd get into my yard when I wasn't home and attack my chickens, horses, or goats. We kept talking to the neighbor about it, and all he ever did was put a chain on her, and then she'd slip her collar and dig into our yard again. He finally rehomed her (apparently it was his ex's dog, but when they broke up she left the dog behind... he isn't much of a dog person, prefers cats).
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    I hate when people let dogs loose!! That when stuff gets screwed up like this! I'm sorry for what happened to your chicken ):

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SjbReptiles For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Why some people shouldn't own dogs...

Two-week update: Dot is healing well. She still has a good hunk missing out of her rear end, but got to go outside for the first time since the incident. She immediately started whipping the other girls back into line!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Anya (07-20-2013),DNACurtusK (08-02-2013),DooLittle (07-20-2013)

Thanks
    That's a nasty wound! Looks like it's healing well, though. I hope she continues to heal well!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast