Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

2 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Nutrition help?

Thanks

Nutrition help?

I have a Staffordshire bull terrier x Border collie, and was just looking for some help with how much I should feed him.

He is 4 months old and weighs 9.1kg, I feed him Wainwright wet puppy food trays here is the information of the food:
    Turkey (min. 65%), Turkey Liver (min. 5%), Brown Rice (min. 5%), Minerals, Seaweed, Chicory Root.
    Protein 11.7%, Crude Fibre 4.9%, Oils & Fats 5.4%, Crude Ash 2.8%, Moisture 75.2%.

Trays per day.
    Toy 2-6 months-1/4 - 1 1/4,
    Toy 6-12 months - 1/4 - 1,
    Small 2-6 months -1 1/4 - 2 1/4,
    Small 6-12 months - 1 - 1 3/4,
    Medium 2-6 months - 2 1/4 - 4,
    Medium 6-12 months - 1 3/4 - 3,
    Large 2-6 months - 4 - 5 1/2,
    Large 6-12 months - 3 - 4 1/4.

I'm just not sure how many trays or what I should be feeding him a day.. just looking for some help? all help is appreciated,
    Thank you!

Link to puppy food:
    http://www.petsathome.com/shop/wainw...ce-395gm-18439
    Last edited by SRMD; 07-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I have been an all-breed trainer for our area's kennel club for over 10 years. I've raised German Shepherds (from German show and working lines) for nearly all my life. My dogs are trained in competitive obedience, agility, and SchH. I have made canine nutrition an intense hobby of mine since I've dealt with multiple allergy dogs and dogs with auto-immune disorders. Canine nutrition is so often overlooked when a dog has problems that aren't immediately associated with nutrition. I'm telling you this so you can have confidence in the advice I'll share with you. Even so, I would talk things over with your vet if you have further questions or concerns.

I am not familiar with this food you're feeding, but since you are in the UK, that may be why. But as such, I really can't comment on that brand or the best method and amounts to feed. But here are some tips that may help you....

1) Personally, I would feed a dry food or a type of food that is raw-based (and your current food my be so - again, I'm not familiar with it - but it sounds more like a standard wet food). Dry foods are usually better for a young dog's teeth and digestion - as long as it is a high quality food and/or raw diet.

2) If you're going to go raw, do your research carefully!! And work out a feeding schedule and method with a vet who is very familiar with raw diets.

3) If you're going to feed a dry food (kibble), select one that is made with human-grade ingredients and AAFCA certified - or in your case, certified with the UK equivalent. To be considered high-quality, the kibble should have a protein source as the first ingredient, no by-products, and preferably grain-free.

4) I can not express how beneficial a grain-free diet is!! All my dogs' problems dissipated once they were eating grain-free. Grains just wreak havoc on your dog's system.

5) Here in the US, some great foods include: Earthborn, Wellness, Natural Balance, Evo, and Innova. I am unsure if any of these are available in the UK, but you can research these foods online and compare the ingredient listings to what you do have available over there.

6) For feeding amounts, with whatever food you decide to feed, start with the smallest serving size recommended on the bag and adjust up or down depending on your dog's needs and body condition. Let your dog tell you how much he needs. It will take more wet food to sustain him than it will of the dry, but even so, you may end up actually feeding less then the recommended amount. This is common.

I am judging your dog to be a medium breed. Staffordshire terriers are bigger than border collies, but still not that large. I would feed your dog according to the medium size/weights. Just based on the feeding schedule you posted and the age or your puppy, I would start him out on 2 trays per day fed in 2 meals (1 tray per meal, morning and night). If he's doing well, you wouldn't have to necessarily move him to more trays until he's about 8 months old. And I feed even my adult dogs 2 meals a day - they do better that way rather than only 1 meal a day.

I hope this is helpful to you! Best of luck!
    Last edited by Evenstar; 07-04-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

SRMD (07-04-2013)

Thanks

Re: Nutrition help?

Thanks for the information super helpful! much appreciated!!!!

Wainwright is one of the top Wet foods in the UK I believe its great for dogs with many allergies that's why I have to give it to my pup he is allergic to quite a bit of stuff
    Last edited by SRMD; 07-04-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SRMD For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    I'm not an expert on dog food by any means, but in my experience with my boxer I switched his food from pedigree to taste of the wild and noticed a HUGE difference in his figure, energy, and coat. Not sure if taste of the wild is available in the UK but from my limited experience its the best dog food I've tried. Just my small 2 cents lol sorry I couldnt be much more help.
    Last edited by Trackstrong83; 07-04-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trackstrong83 For This Useful Post:

SRMD (07-05-2013)

Thanks

I feed a raw diet to my dogs but in a pinch I will feed Orjen, expensive, but one of the best dry foods available. Not sure of it's availability in the UK

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TerrieL For This Useful Post:

SRMD (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SRMD94 View Post
    Thanks for the information super helpful! much appreciated!!!!

Wainwright is one of the top Wet foods in the UK I believe its great for dogs with many allergies that's why I have to give it to my pup he is allergic to quite a bit of stuff
    That's great to hear! If you are comfortable with your food and it seems to be working for you dog - don't try to fix what isn't broken! Glad I could be of help too.

And if you have any other questions about allergies, hit me up. I have to deal with that too, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 07-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?