Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

0 members and 3,228 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Big mistake with a happy ending

Could not find any tortoise section? Thought that was funny since one is in the logo. But anyway,
    Had a big scare today. It's a toasty 88 degrees here today (freaking boiling killer hot compared to what we're used to in this part of the world, AND we have NO AC). Wanted to take some pictures of the snakes, and decided to let our sulcata romp in the back yard.

Not gonna lie, I've been so lazy this summer. I've kept up with the front yard but have neglected the back. It's a jungle back there. We have a patio and that's what I was using for pictures.

Anyway, I go inside for maybe 15 minutes. I thought this would be fine seeing as our tortoise moves, well, like a turtle. I come back out and he is GONE. Gone gone.

Now, this is basically my gf's tortoise (he will be 1 year old in September, and we've had him since October 2012). She loves him to death (has a closer emotional connection than any of our snakes). The gf was out hanging out with her mom. Of course I'm afraid for the tortoise's life, but holy lord am I afraid of her reaction!

I quickly panic and proceed to search all over the yard (careful of where I step), and after 30 minutes I decide to call her.
    As you can all imagine, that did not go very well lol. I continue to look for another 30 minutes (pretty much having a heat stroke at this point!!!). I'm freaking out, how far could this turtle go??? What if a bird got it?

I'm feeling so stupid and irresponsible. Out of desperation I get the weed wacker. Don't worry I was extremely careful! only cutting the very tops of the grass and what I could see, mainly using it for the wind power. After about 20 minutes of weed wacking I found him.....thank god.

Mistakes teach us the most powerful lessons!

Lol I was calling his name like a dog the entire time, because every morning when I feed him and clean his water I call his name "Tortee, Tortee, food!" (gf named him) and he always comes "running" to the sound of my voice. Pretty sure I got sunburned and pretty sure I no longer am allowed to take him out haha. I am, however, allowed to feed, clean, and rehydrate him.

A shot taken this morning. We have french doors in the bedroom, and was letting the cool morning air in before the temps warmed up. You can see our rott laying in the grass which indicates how tall it is. Also, the structure you can kind of see is the shed/playhouse. Our back yard in very small but the front is easily 5x as big and fenced in so that makes up for it.

Right where the weed wacker is is where I found him, deep under at least 18 inches of grass lol, eating away. A full 10 FEET AWAY FROM ORIGINAL LOCATION. The large weed growing is in the middle of our fire pit haha which you can't see at all.

And here he is, perfectly fine. Thank god!
    Last edited by SnowShredder; 06-30-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnowShredder For This Useful Post:

Anya (07-05-2013),Pyrate81 (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Big mistake with a happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShredder View Post
    Could not find any tortoise section? Thought that was funny since one is in the logo. But anyway,
    Had a big scare today. It's a toasty 88 degrees here today (freaking boiling killer hot compared to what we're used to in this part of the world, AND we have NO AC). Wanted to take some pictures of the snakes, and decided to let our sulcata romp in the back yard.

Not gonna lie, I've been so lazy this summer. I've kept up with the front yard but have neglected the back. It's a jungle back there. We have a patio and that's what I was using for pictures.

Anyway, I go inside for maybe 15 minutes. I thought this would be fine seeing as our tortoise moves, well, like a turtle. I come back out and he is GONE. Gone gone.

Now, this is basically my gf's tortoise (he will be 1 year old in September, and we've had him since October 2012). She loves him to death (has a closer emotional connection than any of our snakes). The gf was out hanging out with her mom. Of course I'm afraid for the tortoise's life, but holy lord am I afraid of her reaction!

I quickly panic and proceed to search all over the yard (careful of where I step), and after 30 minutes I decide to call her.
    As you can all imagine, that did not go very well lol. I continue to look for another 30 minutes (pretty much having a heat stroke at this point!!!). I'm freaking out, how far could this turtle go??? What if a bird got it?

I'm feeling so stupid and irresponsible. Out of desperation I get the weed wacker. Don't worry I was extremely careful! only cutting the very tops of the grass and what I could see, mainly using it for the wind power. After about 20 minutes of weed wacking I found him.....thank god.

Mistakes teach us the most powerful lessons!

Lol I was calling his name like a dog the entire time, because every morning when I feed him and clean his water I call his name "Tortee, Tortee, food!" (gf named him) and he always comes "running" to the sound of my voice. Pretty sure I got sunburned and pretty sure I no longer am allowed to take him out haha. I am, however, allowed to feed, clean, and rehydrate him.

A shot taken this morning. We have french doors in the bedroom, and was letting the cool morning air in before the temps warmed up. You can see our rott laying in the grass which indicates how tall it is. Also, the structure you can kind of see is the shed/playhouse. Our back yard in very small but the front is easily 5x as big and fenced in so that makes up for it.

Right where the weed wacker is is where I found him, deep under at least 18 inches of grass lol, eating away. A full 10 FEET AWAY FROM ORIGINAL LOCATION. The large weed growing is in the middle of our fire pit haha which you can't see at all.

And here he is, perfectly fine. Thank god!
    he's adorable! And our backyard looks about like yours. I'm not a fan of yard work...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Anya (07-05-2013),Pyrate81 (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Big mistake with a happy ending

I can see why you missed him! What a little cutie!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    he's adorable! And our backyard looks about like yours. I'm not a fan of yard work...

Neither am I, but apparently the gf is "allergic to grass". Well, I did weed wack the rest of the back yard so tomorrow it should be good for mowing
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    I can see why you missed him! What a little cutie!

Thank you =) he is really cute, I love feeding him. Quite the little hog.

I'm trying to figure out a naturalistic terrarium for him. Does anyone have suggestions? I've tried growing grass for him but so far it's a hit and miss. I keep him in my reptile room that is at a constant 78-79 degrees farenheit. The window will let constant sunlight in but for the most part I keep the blinds closed to help regulate temps

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Nice save, looks like would be tough to find.

And this is the turts&torts section.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mackynz For This Useful Post:

Anya (07-05-2013),SnowShredder (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    I'm really glad you found him!! Awesome little guy!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Centexsnakes For This Useful Post:

SnowShredder (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Organic potting soil/dirt and plant some fruit/veggies for him perhaps? Light on the fruit obvisously.

Also, AdamL8's monitor pen is a great model for a tortie pen as well IMO. Perhaps something like that on a smaller scale.

Glad you found him, I had that issue sometimes when I would like my sliders "run" around the back yard on occasion when I was younger. Walk away for 5 minutes and they take off after sitting in the same spot for 15.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    There is a section on www.tortoiseforum.org with pics of different enclosures. There is also some very good info about sulcatas...especially the threads by "Tom." Go check it out!
    Glad it was a happy ending! Cute tort!

BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShredder View Post
    Neither am I, but apparently the gf is "allergic to grass". Well, I did weed wack the rest of the back yard so tomorrow it should be good for mowing
    Very cute little guy!
    And why are you worried about mowing the grass!?
    Sulcatas are lawn mowers! We haven't had to mow our yard once in the last 2.5 years because Bubba does it for us, and he does so well he could almost be a greens keeper!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C&H Exotic Morphs For This Useful Post:

rocknhorse76 (07-21-2013),SnowShredder (08-02-2013)