Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,405

3 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the quick advice. We just got back from the vet's, he was able to get a little runny sample out of her. Fecal showed no parasites, but some kind of bacterial bloom (forgot the name of the bacteria). She got a big dose of antibiotics tubed in, and I get to do IM injections for the next two weeks.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.2 Axanthic Pastel (Cornelia, Short Round)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Bee het Axanthic (Nipper)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)
    1.0 Killerbee het Axanthic (Yellow Dude)
    1.0 Pied (Starry Starry Dude)
    1.0 Butter Hypo (Spooky Dude)
    1.0 PH Lavender (Little Dude)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Does giardia ring a bell? What medication did he send you home with?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

Re: Should I get a fecal done?

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    It's good you're taking her in for an exam as well, since if she does have parasites, vets are legally required to have seen the animal in order to prescribe medication. Soft, stinky poo makes me think it's likely she has parasites. Sometimes they can go off food if the parasite load is high enough as well.

Any fecal is going to be looked at under a microscope, since parasite eggs are microscopic. The best way to have it looked at is a centrifuged float sample, the next best is a regular (which is not centrifuged) float, and the last is direct smear.

A snake will often defecate when soaked in warm water for a time, say 15-20 minutes, and you can collect it and keep it refrigerated until you take it in. If she won't go for you, when you get to the clinic, they'll probably use a fecal loop to try to get a sample. Even if they don't get one right then, keep a paper towel handy, because the act of looping them will often make them poop! Just last week, we had a guy's BP poo on him 5 minutes after we looped her for a sample; I had forgotten to warn him about that!

soft sticky poop is indicate of parasite???

now i'm a little worry. I've had my bps from when they are 300g and they have been amazing eaters for me all the way until now, both of them both just hit 1000g with one of them at around 1100g and they both refuse two week in a row now (show massive interest in the rat, even coils but shy away at the last moment, they were both beast before they hit the 1000g mark). the things is they have ALWAYS had soft poop, I just thought that I found them before they got all hard. my carpet the newer addition of the family however always seems to leave me hard poop, I chalk that up for the carpet's poop being 20x smaller than the bp's and thus dries out faster... but should i be worry now? they have refuse for 2 week and it doesn't look like i'm gonna get a poop sample out of them anytime soon. One of my bp tends to urine alot though...
    Last edited by threezero; 07-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    1.4 Ball Python 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Bci

Thanks

Does giardia ring a bell? What medication did he send you home with?
    Not giardia, I think something related to salmonella. Enrofloxacin preloaded in little syringes, supposed to inject every 48 hours. He thought stress from shipping (got her a few months ago) weakened her immume system and let her gut flora get off balance, leading to the slow decline.
    Last edited by Badgemash; 07-01-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Poor spelling
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nearly all snakes are going to have parasites, simply due to the fact that they eat whole prey. Rats and mice commonly carry parasites that then live in the snake when eaten. I would say that 90% of the snakes that we do fecals on have some kind of parasite. Ones that eat live prey are going to be more susceptible than ones that eat F/T, because the freezing kills some of rodent's internal parasites. Freezing doesn't kill all of them though, and the length of time the rodent is frozen also plays a part in it.

But you have to remember, just because a snake has parasites, doesn't mean it has a problem. The severity of the issue will depend on the snake's health, age, immune system, etc. For example, if you have two snakes the same age, but one is fed properly and housed in a proper environment and the other is underfed and/or housed poorly, the one that is in better health could deal with the same number of parasites that could potentially kill the second snake.

From my own personal experience, and from the samples we get in the clinic, the snake poo that looks like dog or cat poo, i.e. firm, holds a shape, some odor but not horrible, rarely has parasites. The poos that are mushy or stinky often have parasites.

Another symptom of having problems with parasites is refusal to eat. Not saying that it would be the reason for yours, but it's something we consider with snakes.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Not giardia, I think something related to salmonella. Enrofloxacin preloaded in little syringes, supposed to inject every 48 hours. He thought stress from shipping (got her a few months ago) weakened her immume system and let her gut flora get off balance, leading to the slow decline.
    Oh, ok. That's the generic of Baytril. That's good that he gave you injectable rather than oral; they don't process it the same way mammals do, so injectable works better for their system. I'm sure he showed you how to do the injections, but be sure you angle downward enough, because when given just under the skin instead of in the muscle like it should be, it can cause skin damage and scarring.

I hope that is all that is going on with her! *fingers crossed*

The current zoo:
    Pets
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    I'm assuming he didn't see them since it was such a small sample (like 2ml), but she did get a deworming along with the antibiotics. We decided to go agressive on this since she's not only refusing food, but losing weight. If she's not feeling better after the antibiotics he wants to do a fecal culture and bloodwork.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)

Thanks

Oh, ok. That's the generic of Baytril. That's good that he gave you injectable rather than oral; they don't process it the same way mammals do, so injectable works better for their system. I'm sure he showed you how to do the injections, but be sure you angle downward enough, because when given just under the skin instead of in the muscle like it should be, it can cause skin damage and scarring.

I hope that is all that is going on with her! *fingers crossed*
    They did show me, she was NOT happy, but I feel hopeful this is going to resolve with the antibiotics. That's good to know about the scarring though, they didn't tell me that part.
    Last edited by Badgemash; 07-01-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)

Thanks

Update!

She just got her last injection, refused a small rat, and then ate 5 mice! Not ideal, but I'd rather deal with switching her off of mice than not eating at all.
    -Devon

0.1 Axanthic Bee (Pixel)
    0.1 Axanthic (Bubbles)
    0.1 Lesser (Lydia)
    0.1 het Lavender (Poppy)
    0.1 het Hypo (Cookie)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12