Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,440

1 members and 3,439 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New ball first time owner

Ok so I've been researching ball snakes for a while I just brought my ball python home a day or 2 ago I haven't seen him much aside from when he spilled water the first night and I had to clean it. His eyes are changing and his belly is a light pink... Yay first shed! How ever since he hasn't even got use to his new home I'm worried about his stress. Is there anything I can do to make him a little more chill he has 2 hides and some fake plants from the store. I work night shift so I sleep all day and its very dark in my room. Any additional steps I can take ?

ps humidity is around 80 and his husbandry is a 25l tub a bit big for a baby ball but its what I had set up before I knew who I was getting

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

What makes you think the snake is stressed? From your description, it sounds like he is hiding a lot, which is a good thing! A hiding BP is a happy BP. If it is cruising around a lot and laying out in the open then you might need to clutter up the enclosure with fake plants or crumpled paper.

Its only been a couple days, just leave him be for about a week then try offering food. Hopefully he will be done with shedding by then.
    Last edited by Kaorte; 06-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    I agree! I was terrified that my snake was having a nervous breakdown when I got my first ball python because he was always hiding, but that's just normal for them. He'll come out at night to drink and do snakey things, but they don't do that very often.

Just let him be, don't handle him unless you have to take him out to clean the cage, and he'll shed and be on his merry way To avoid stress in general it is best to allow them to settle in for a week or two, until they've had at least two meals for you before you start handling them. Avoid handling for 48 hours after feeding to allow digestion (taking him out to clean is OK, as long as you put him right back in). Make sure the temps and humidity are good and you're golden

Congrats and welcome to the addiction
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts