Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,941

2 members and 1,939 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Pre-Breeding Season Feeding

I'm just wondering about the opinions of others on what they feed their girls in getting ready for next season. I have 3 girls for next season (my first) one is proven (but wasn't bred this season) @ 2300g (she was 2000 when I purchased her on the first & I've been feeding her between 10%+15% of her weight each week). And I have 2 virgins at 2050 & 2250. 15% seems excessive to me. So what do you guys do to prep the girls' fat stores for egg production?

Also, the male I want to use most is 350g (was picky until I switched him to live) and I feed him 2x a week one meal @ 15% & one @ 8-10%. He is around a year old w/ immature plugs. He should be ready by November, right? Will this develop sufficient stores for him?

Thanks!
    Last edited by smalltimeballz; 06-27-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I misspelled one word...ack! lol
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Hypo Clown; 1.0 Enchi Freeway; 0.1 Ivory pos. pastel, super pastel, butter (Penelope); 0.1 Hypo Chocolate GHI Pastel pos Vanilla (Smokey); 0.1 YB pied; 0.1 enchi YB/asphalt; 0.1 VPI Axanthic (Special Cookies); 0.1 Albino pos YB; 0.1 Hypo Clown; 0.1 Hypo Spinner
    Colubrids:
    1.0 Coachwhip; 1.0 Lavender ph hypo hoggie; 0.1 het hypo ph lavender hoggie (Fingermuncher)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have never fed a % of their weight, matter of fact I never feed anything bigger than a medium rat to a BP (about 120 grams rat).

I just cannot imagine feeding a 350 to 525 grams rat to some of my girls and that's for various reason the main one being I want my animals to with consistency.

Feeding smaller preys once a week will allow just that, the animal eats with consistency and put on weight with consistency also.

Pre-breeding season I feed a little more heavily (females only), does not mean I give bigger prey I just offer every 5 days instead of 7 while they are taking it, it allows them to put on some weight before they start fasting.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

el8ch (06-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The 10-15% thing only applies to babies and juvis.
    I personally have never utilized that rule. I just eyeball my feeders. And all adults get small rats.

Thanks

Re: Pre-Breeding Season Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    The 10-15% thing only applies to babies and juvis.
    I personally have never utilized that rule. I just eyeball my feeders. And all adults get small rats.
    How often do you feed your adults small rats? I couldn't imagine a 2300g girl being satisfied with a 50g to 80g prey item..I feed 60g rats to my 500g girls every 7 days.
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Hypo Clown; 1.0 Enchi Freeway; 0.1 Ivory pos. pastel, super pastel, butter (Penelope); 0.1 Hypo Chocolate GHI Pastel pos Vanilla (Smokey); 0.1 YB pied; 0.1 enchi YB/asphalt; 0.1 VPI Axanthic (Special Cookies); 0.1 Albino pos YB; 0.1 Hypo Clown; 0.1 Hypo Spinner
    Colubrids:
    1.0 Coachwhip; 1.0 Lavender ph hypo hoggie; 0.1 het hypo ph lavender hoggie (Fingermuncher)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have never fed a % of their weight, matter of fact I never feed anything bigger than a medium rat to a BP (about 120 grams rat).

I just cannot imagine feeding a 350 to 525 grams rat to some of my girls and that's for various reason the main one being I want my animals to with consistency.

Feeding smaller preys once a week will allow just that, the animal eats with consistency and put on weight with consistency also.

Pre-breeding season I feed a little more heavily (females only), does not mean I give bigger prey I just offer every 5 days instead of 7 while they are taking it, it allows them to put on some weight before they start fasting.
    I do the same... Our adult females get medium rats weekly and keep on the weight quite nicely.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smalltimeballz View Post
    How often do you feed your adults small rats? I couldn't imagine a 2300g girl being satisfied with a 50g to 80g prey item..I feed 60g rats to my 500g girls every 7 days.
    Once a week. And every 5 to prep breeding girls.
    I offer a second to the really large girls, but most of them never take it and are satisfied with 1. They don't lose weight and only gain or maintain.
    Last edited by satomi325; 06-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts

Pre-Breeding Season Feeding

maybe i'm just different, but with more than half of my animals being "off feed" with perfect husbandry right now, i feed whatever they'll take, as often as they'll take it. BPs arent boas or retics. if they'll eat, take advantage of it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeGeek For This Useful Post:

Billy305 (06-27-2013)

Thanks

I feel more confident with the mediums...but when should you start pre-season conditioning your girls if they're not fresh from clutching (I know that those need it started ASAP)? I heard in August. How many months before the cool down period seems best?
    Ball Pythons:
    Colubrids:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smalltimeballz View Post
    How often do you feed your adults small rats? I couldn't imagine a 2300g girl being satisfied with a 50g to 80g prey item..
    That's exactly what I do. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like trying to feed my girls larger meals early in the year to start putting weight on early kicks them right off feed. Feeding adult balls (and some subadults) by weight has never worked for me. They gain and maintain fine going by girth. Sometimes I offer twice a week, sometimes I don't. At the moment, it's actually a couple of my males wanting multiple meals.

I've found increasing food when they start building follicles, when their feeding response ramps up, also tells me where they really are in their cycle. Not just where I'd like them to be.