Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

2 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Re: How would you handle this?

Just making sure I have th facts straight:
    - You purchased at least two mature, breeder-sized female snakes (not cheap even for normals) which your coworker was supposed to be buying from you.
    - To date she's only paid half of the purchase price plus some interest because you had to take out a loan to buy the snakes.
    - Coworker has not contributed to their upkeep (feeders, substrate, etc) or helped with their care.
    - Female snakes have been bred to your male and at least one is gravid.

Without a contract, the cleanest way I can see for you to get out of this is for you to pay her back every penny of what she has paid you and the snakes are yours. She could sue, but it would most likely be in small claims court and she would have to prove damages. Since she isn't out any money there's nothing for her to "win".

To start a paper trail I would send an email stating that you bought the snakes nine months ago, payments from her have been sporadic, she still owes $X, and if you don't receive the balance by Y date you will be reimbursing her and keeping the snakes. If/when you do reimburse her, use a cashier's check and keep the receipt (it will have her name on it) so she can't claim she wasn't paid. Both the email and cashier's check are to cover yourself if she files a lawsuit.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Kodieh (06-27-2013),sissysnakes (06-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    I actually hadn't thought of creating a paper trail post-deal. I would create a conversation where you give all the details above in an email EXCEPT your plan to give her until Y at which time she will be reimbursed in full. That way, you get her response of "yes that was the deal, I'll do what I can, I'm a deal breaking vagabond, etc".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks
    I'd make her this deal... sell the babies, take the remainder of what she owes you out first, then deduct for food and other expenses incurred, then split whatever is left with her. If she doesn't agree to that then you really shouldn't owe her anything IMO since you financed her the snakes. If I finance a car and pay half down, I don't get a refund when they take my car away for nonpayment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll give you a scenario that I would do.

Since you work with her you have to be careful because she could always claim you came on to her or made advances or what not and most companies will take the word of a female(no offense to any of you ladies). So with that being the case I would either give keep the money she owes you and keep a baby or two of your choosing, then give her the rest once you sell. Since you did make the verbal agreement and about the interest and all you are basically taking late payments with added interest so that's the fair thing to do. Now since it's nothing in writing and all verbal, if no recording or anything exist then it means nothing, so she wouldn't even have to pay you back at all and you wouldn't have to give her anything, but this would complicate your work issues.

If it were me, for her lying to me about not having money. I would give her the money she originally gave you(not including the interest she's paid) and I'd keep everything. That's just me though.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    I agree with everyone. She has defaulted on a loan/payment plan. As such she not entitled to anything. She has used money owed you to get new toys and such. As for the boyfriend paying she sol, cause the agreement was between you and her not him.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12