Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,176

1 members and 3,175 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Small potatoes?

Thanks

Re: Small potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    So BP.net is a comedy show now? Must have missed that memo where everything here needs to be turned into a joke.

I'm sorry I don't come to BP.net for comedic relief. That does not mean I am sensitive, because I am not. I just think the comments made were in bad taste. It is not something I would say in this kind of environment.

And no, I don't try try to make jokes in order to hurt peoples feelings... I try to be considerate.
    No one said everything is a joke? Where did you see that? You might not come here for comic relief, but you also don't dictate what is posted here. There is no conceivable way anyone could know what you do and do not find funny or tasteful. Just because you wouldn't say it doesn't mean someone else can't. Why is everything about you? The way you want it, what you find offensive, what you would or wouldn't say, what you find tasteful. Without being in your head or running every single post by you before it's posted there is no way to know what might upset you. If you can't handle someone posting something that you might not like or you might not say yourself I would suggest you unplug the modem and stay far, far away from the internet. Or alternatively, hit the little x. Back out of the thread there's no need to keep reading what upsets you.

The White Knights and sheltered souls sure are coming out of the woodwork here
    Last edited by mackynz; 06-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mackynz For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (06-25-2013),KMG (06-24-2013),STjepkes (06-28-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mackynz View Post
    No one said everything is a joke? Where did you see that? You might not come here for comic relief, but you also don't dictate what is posted here. There is no conceivable way anyone could know what you do and do not find funny or tasteful. Just because you wouldn't say it doesn't mean someone else can't. Why is everything about you? The way you want it, what you find offensive, what you would or wouldn't say, what you find tasteful. Without being in your head or running every single post by you before it's posted there is no way to know what might upset you. If you can't handle someone posting something that you might not like or you might not say yourself I would suggest you unplug the modem and stay far, far away from the internet. Or alternatively, hit the little x. Back out of the thread there's no need to keep reading what upsets you.

The White Knights and sheltered souls sure are coming out of the woodwork here
    This right here is the kind of attitude that makes me NEVER want to give ANY advice to ANY of you.

Mods. What the heck is going on. Why is this even allowed to happen? Now suddenly I am not allowed to express my opinion because others will ASSume that I am making everything about myself?

I'm out of here. Have fun bickering.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow...ok, let me see if I can address all the important posts.

First off, Mike had nothing to do with this thread, and even though he commented in it, he TRIED to stay out of it by saying that he was waiting to hear back from me through the PM system that he properly used. I appreciate that. I don't believe he instigated this thread in any way, nor did he intend to use it as a platform to complain about the infraction.

KMG didn't start this thread (as far as I understand it) in order to complain about the infractions either, but rather to say that "the mods" are being dismissive by calling the issue "small potatoes." Well, first off, that wasn't "the mods" that was ME. And that wasn't me trying to be dismissive, but rather trying to smooth things over a bit by putting things into perspective. SERIOUSLY, if this is the hardest thing we have to deal with, then our lives are tremendously blessed, and it helps the blood pressure to keep that in mind.

KMG says that we aren't giving proper consideration to complaints about infractions. I have to ask how anyone could know one way or the other how much thought, discussion, and effort go into weighing infractions and appeals? We don't post "minutes" of our mod discussions. You don't see me setting aside my paying job for a time earlier today to deal with this ridiculous mess. Do you have any idea how much time I've already devoted to this? No, you don't. But because I happened to NOT go the way you wanted me to go, you assume I must have dismissed it all without any thought? Wrong.

The admins and mods are human. And therefore, there will always be slight inconsistencies in how things are dealt with. We're not machines, computers, nor perfect beings. But we work our asses off to be as fair as humanly possible. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO AGREE THAT WE'RE FAIR OR RIGHT. That is, and has always been the case. There's nothing we can do about that.

We try to be tolerant of different levels and types of humor. But we all have our limits. And if a member consistently tests those limits, they WILL eventually cross a line, whether they believe that line was fairly placed or not. I, and the other admins, are not shy about reversing a moderator's decision if we feel it was made in error. We've done it before and we'll do it again. And EVERY appeal is given sincere consideration. Some cases are more easily decided than others, but once decided, we're firm on that decision, whether it is agreed with or not. I'm not going to second guess my moderators unless I feel there is a very strong reason to do so. In this case, I felt Mark acted within his role as a mod. I'm sorry if some people are unhappy with that decision. But making every individual happy is not our goal.

I have more to say to Mike that I will be doing in private. If he wishes to share any of that later, he is free to do so.
    -- Judy

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Anya (06-24-2013),ballpythonluvr (06-25-2013),BHReptiles (06-25-2013),Chkadii (06-24-2013),dillan2020 (06-24-2013),dr del (06-25-2013),Emilio (06-25-2013),MarkS (06-25-2013),Mephibosheth1 (06-24-2013),rabernet (06-25-2013),satomi325 (06-24-2013),STjepkes (06-28-2013)

Thanks
    You mean the way you took up issue with us expressing ourselves. Hypocrisy at it's finest right there.

No one said you can't share you're opinion but I'm also entitled to mine. I think that saying people shouldn't post something because you, wouldn't or might take issue with is is ridiculous. We can't all bend to your whim and know what you approve of. And I think that pretending the world is sunshine and rainbows doesn't do anyone any favors. The sooner you accept that the less horrifying it will be when you little bubble bursts. Since you like to, as you put it "ASSume" things maybe you should try actually reading posts. Like the whole thing, because it's pretty clear you aren't. No one said every post was supposed to be comedic, no one said you can't have an opinion.

And to Judy, what I don't get and what is that the "General Hostility" rule seems to keep getting thrown around. Is it like how the cops can charge you with disorderly conduct just because they don't like something you're doing? Because it really seems to be the "I'm mad at you but can't think of a reason" rule.
    Last edited by mackynz; 06-24-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Okay, where for me to start?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    This should be and deserves to be public.

I'm not trying to attack or offend the mods. I just think things could and would be better if they were handled in a better way.
    It is only the business of those involved, not the general public.
    I think there are a lot of things that could be "handled a better way" but I would be banned by now We each have our own views BUT we are open to try and understand each other as MODs too.

Because mods and admins should just do whatever they want right? No scrutiny, just apply the rules however they want?

Within the rules. You said it yourself. It doesn't matter to what degree, the rules are the rules and if you are operating in them then you're operating within them.

Probably not, since if it was addressed properly he wouldn't have an infraction and none of us would be here. What rule was violated exactly?
    We do stay within the rules set before us, how about you go read them and think about how far YOU want to stir the pot. The boiling point can get here faster than you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Steffe come on... You NEVER make any jokes about anything that could hurt someones feelers a bit?
    I didn't say anything in the other post and I tried to derail it, even though I do feel that I kind of failed my MOD duties
    I think the point is more knowing when to quit but you kept posting about it. YES it did get under my skin but I was trying to ignore you/it. You understand?

You mean the way you took up issue with us expressing ourselves. Hypocrisy at it's finest right there.

No one said you can't share you're opinion but I'm also entitled to mine. I think that saying people shouldn't post something because you, wouldn't or might take issue with is is ridiculous. We can't all bend to your whim and know what you approve of. And I think that pretending the world is sunshine and rainbows doesn't do anyone any favors. The sooner you accept that the less horrifying it will be when you little bubble bursts. Since you like to, as you put it "ASSume" things maybe you should try actually reading posts. Like the whole thing, because it's pretty clear you aren't. No one said every post was supposed to be comedic, no one said you can't have an opinion.

And to Judy, what I don't get and what is that the "General Hostility" rule seems to keep getting thrown around. Is it like how the cops can charge you with disorderly conduct just because they don't like something you're doing? Because it really seems to be the "I'm mad at you but can't think of a reason" rule.
    Yes, you are now a prime "disorderly conduct" patron Keep stirring the pot and disrupting the flow of everyone else's well being. Get the point?
    Might be better if you sign off for the night and cool your jets.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-25-2013),Kaorte (06-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    We do stay within the rules set before us, how about you go read them and think about how far YOU want to stir the pot. The boiling point can get here faster than you might like.
    I have, and I've had to quote them back to a mod before to show them they weren't being violated. Then they dropped the issue. That's my point.

Yes, you are now a prime "disorderly conduct" patron Keep stirring the pot and disrupting the flow of everyone else's well being. Get the point?
    Might be better if you sign off for the night and cool your jets.
    And thanks for confirming this. I figured you're out to prove yourself as a new mod in light of recent events. That or a power trip, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say proving yourself. Guess I was was right.

*Holds out wrists* Cuff me officer.
    Last edited by mackynz; 06-24-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks

And thanks for confirming this. I figured you're out to prove yourself as a new mod in light of recent events. Guess I was was right.

*Holds out wrists* Cuff me officer.
    Maybe you don't know me yet, I could care less about what ANYONE here thinks of me. Follow me on FB and learn little one.
    I respect this site and what it brings to the www. so I have learned to control myself here.

If I was out to prove myself, you wouldn't be able to post for a while. I am open minded and really love a good debate and I can always take it over the line in the right places.

BTW, you might want to read ALL of the TOU: 21. All members are responsible for reading and understanding the full content of the TOS and Site Rules. The Administrators (and their staff) reserve the right to determine what constitutes proper use of Ball-Pythons.net. They have final judgment on whether or not the Site Rules and/or Terms of Service have been violated and what the consequences of said violations will be.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 06-24-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Thank you Judy. I know it is a smaller issue but I just feel it should still be treated as it is important. I think we are blessed with only small issues here and I am thankful for that and this site in general. I truly am glad it is here and to be a part of it. I just want it to be the best place possible and don't think it is your job to decide what is small or large to a concerned user. I can guarantee that the things many people here find stressful would not even make a mark on my chart. Just because I don't think its a big issue does not mean I don't think it should be addressed.

I don't have a personal problem with anybody that is admin or a mod. I just had a problem with the initial response. I think it would have been better by plainly stating that the mods decision was sound and you backed his play. Not saying that it was small potatoes. To me that makes it seem as if not much effort or thought went into it. I am sure that you do bust your ass here and I understand you have a real job. I have no problem with anybodies work output here. I think overall the site is moderated very well.

Pit, I don't see why this could not be discussed like this. It does not seem like anything here should be private and I wanted to include everybody interested. It is not exactly G14 classified material.

While it appears not many are interested or have experienced the feeling of bringing a issue to the higher ups and not getting an appropriate answer or at least an explanation I still wanted to post my thoughts on the issue and try to find a better way to handle issues like this.
    Last edited by KMG; 06-24-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

mackynz (06-24-2013)

Thanks

Maybe you don't know me yet, I could care less about what ANYONE here thinks of me.

So power trip then.

If I was out to prove myself, you wouldn't be able to post for a while.
    So threats now? That's what this site is now? Mods issuing threats, not even over PM this time!

Here's a fun one, what on earth makes you think you could stop me from posting? An IP ban? Go for it. Changing my external IP address wouldn't be hard at all. I know it's easy to push a button to ban some one but how does that work when the person know the intricacies of what that button actually does? IT is what I do so if you want to threaten me, go ahead but its not a very good threat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Pit, I don't see why this could not be discussed like this. It does not seen like anything here should be private and wanted to include everybody interested. It is not exactly G14 classified material.
    I understand what you are saying BUT I personally think infractions should only be handled between the one who issued it and the one who got it. Take it to other MODS but not to other members. I kind of look at it like "work", would you want me chastising you in front of your co-workers? Also I tend to get a little more "blunt" in PMs but I try to make sure we understand each other. You get where I'm coming from?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast