Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Small potatoes?

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think the thing to remember here is that, while the forum is people driven, it is not really a democracy. We agree to be moderated my the mod team, and basically agree to take whatever they give us.

Ive been on other forums where I got my feathers ruffled due to "infractions" that were not warranted, and quickly learned that speaking up about them didn't get me anywhere. But, that's the way things roll on an Internet forum.

(hopefully I won't get my head chewed off now lol)
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

Anya (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Small potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by mackynz View Post
    Not sure what the rules say about it, but according to the PM, him he received no warning. Just thought I would throw that out there since he's not here.
    I've never got a warning prior to the one infraction(currently expired) I ever got. I said 'shiz(t) just got real'.

So I'm assuming giving warnings aren't the norm?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

While I realize my and other's opinions are of little consequence, you may add me to the list of people who feel Mike shouldn't have received an infraction. It really seemed to me that MarkS' opinion was strongly biased. I saw nothing that sounded like promotion of animal abuse.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

I have read the entire thread before posting so that I wasn't just responding without having done so. This is my opinion and as was already said, the world will keep spinning, even after I announce it.

Some kids have taken the time to set up a great yard to play in. They have invited us over to play and we find many wonderful things to do in their yard. Keep in mind it's their yard. Now the longer we stay and play, the more we notice the stuff in the yard. Perhaps the grass is longer than we like. Perhaps we stepped in some dog poop becuase we didn't see it. If it was our yard we would have picked that up, but it's their yard so it wasn't picked up. We ask the kids if they will cut the grass or pick up the dog poop. It seems like a perfectly reasonable response because we don't like poop on our shoes. We ask, don't tell, because it's their yard. After we ask, they may cut the grass or they may not. They may pick up the poop they may not. Why? Because it's their yard. Are you seeing a theme here?

Some people would like things different, I get it. Some people have expressed that, I heard it. Some people have even said that the punishments are not always equal, I'll ackowledge that. I won't mention names because that would be indiscreet (KMG). Guess what? It's not our yard. If I don't like what's going on in the yard, I can leave. And if I keep making the yard an unpleasant place to play because of my complaining, I may be asked to leave. But regardless, it will still be their yard and after we're gone they will still be playing here.

I for one like playing in this yard. I haven't found a better yard yet to play in that gives me what this yard has. And yes, I have stepped in dog poop myself once or twice. Then I mutter about the people that should have picked it up, but mostly under my breath. So come on in, jump and run, frolick and play, or don't. But you might want to keep your eyes open for dog poop. And do you know why..........?
    Last edited by rlditmars; 06-25-2013 at 07:39 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (06-25-2013),Anya (06-25-2013),Emilio (06-25-2013),Kaorte (06-25-2013),rabernet (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Small potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    And do you know why..........?
    Because poop happens!!

Seriously folks, this has been blown way out of proportion. Mike was the one with a concern, and he tried his best to address it privately. Announcing to the forum that you think the mods are biased will in no way encourage them to be open-minded or give a moment's thought to what you say. Ok, so 5% of the decisions made are in a grey area that some support and some never will. Address things privately and nonconfrontationally, and you might just change ways of thinking. Or, poke a stick at a sleeping hornet nest, and see what happens.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (06-25-2013),rlditmars (06-25-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    I have read the entire thread before posting so that I wasn't just responding without having done so. This is my opinion and as was already said, the world will keep spinning, even after I announce it.

Some kids have taken the time to set up a great yard to play in. They have invited us over to play and we find many wonderful things to do in their yard. Keep in mind it's their yard. Now the longer we stay and play, the more we notice the stuff in the yard. Perhaps the grass is longer than we like. Perhaps we stepped in some dog poop becuase we didn't see it. If it was our yard we would have picked that up, but it's their yard so it wasn't picked up. We ask the kids if they will cut the grass or pick up the dog poop. It seems like a perfectly reasonable response because we don't like poop on our shoes. We ask, don't tell, because it's their yard. After we ask, they may cut the grass or they may not. They may pick up the poop they may not. Why? Because it's their yard. Are you seeing a theme here?

Some people would like things different, I get it. Some people have expressed that, I heard it. Some people have even said that the punishments are not always equal, I'll ackowledge that. I won't mention names because that would be indiscreet (KMG). Guess what? It's not our yard. If I don't like what's going on in the yard, I can leave. And if I keep making the yard an unpleasant place to play because of my complaining, I may be asked to leave. But regardless, it will still be their yard and after we're gone they will still be playing here.

I for one like playing in this yard. I haven't found a better yard yet to play in that gives me what this yard has. And yes, I have stepped in dog poop myself once or twice. Then I mutter about the people that should have picked it up, but mostly under my breath. So come on in, jump and run, frolick and play, or don't. But you might want to keep your eyes open for dog poop. And do you know why..........?
    The most eloquent and accurate post in the thread.
    Do not resuscitate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (06-25-2013)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    "Will Pit on the Prowl return to have the last word??

Okay, everyone seems to be stuck on the "no warning" BUT no one wants to open their eyes and see the whole picture. The questioned remarks were made 4 times that I remember in that post before the decision was made.
    So everyone thinks that they would deserve a warning IF they had multiple posts before it was found? I am not taking any ones side this morning as of yet but think about it.

Also, everyone thinks it just the mods and forgets or doesn't read the entire screen, the is a "report post" link that is confidential if your peers want to report something you posted that they are uncomfortable with.

Off to work I go

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    How is a user to feel when a issue they bring to a mod is refereed to as small potatoes? Important, I think not.

No matter how small you think a issue is as a mod I think it should be respected and given consideration. The user obliviously thought it was worth something, so should you.

I was told a similar thing once and it really annoyed me. It made me think the mods do not have the back bone to correct a users mistake or their own and that the entire points system is useless. I felt completely blown off.

I do agree that in the big picture anything on this forum is small scale. But within this forum even the smallest issue should be handled with care when brought to a mod, not shrugged off. The mods job is to only deal with this forum not comparing it to what issues may await us in our life off line.

After all in the big picture this whole forum is small potatoes.

I think the mods do a great job with most things but these small issues and how they are handled I believe could use some work.
    I'm not going to even begin to read all the pages in this thread, I was just told of the thread by a friend of mine so I will comment and say what the mods cannot.

First off, why are you even getting involved in something that doesn't concern you? This is an issue between Mike and the site staff, you weren't even given the infraction or the warning, so again I ask. Why did you even post this pointless thread? Mike, I have nothing against you, and nor you KMG but one thing that I can't stand and that I'm sure most people agree with me is when people get involved in something that they have no business being in. While you may say that I'm doing that very thing, please keep in mind that you've made a public thread about it. Mike was infracted because he made a comment about kicking a dog, while sure many people may do the same thing in self defense, some stuff you just don't say out loud. Say I wanted to sleep with this girl and everybody knows it because I'm always flirting with her or hitting on her, would you really go up to her and say: "I want to sleep with you." No you wouldn't, because as I've stated previously it's something you don't say because some things are best left not being stated. Would anybody really let a dog sit there and bite or tear them open? NO. That doesn't mean you have to say what you would do, because some people take offense to this and it can still be considered animal cruelty to some. For instance, I can't stand Obama and I won't say what I would like to happen and while I'm sure 99% of you agree with something in the general way that I do it doesn't make it right for me to say it, not to mention some things you say you can get in trouble for even if you didn't mean it.

If you would like to take things up with a mod about his call then by all means do it, but it doesn't need to become some reality show. If you can't settle with the mod that issued the infraction then you take it up with an administrator. This is called the chain of command not to mention the respect of going to the person that you have a disagreement or problem with before you step over their head. JLC already stated while she may of handled things differently she still supports that persons decision because he was given the power that he has because they trust that persons decision. Obviously that person felt that things had gone far enough, so they did what they thought was right for the situation at hand, and if JLC went and revoked his decision that would not only undermine his authority but I'm pretty damn sure it would bother him. That means she will not interfere because she's already aware of what has happened and taken place. The glory of it all is that they pay for this site, so they don't have to explain anything to anybody. There is no jury on this because JLC, dr del and the other admins are the Judge, The Jury & The Executioner.

Now to top it off, it's a freaking infraction, stop making such a big deal over it. It's not like he's banned from the site and can't post for so many days. It is what it is, take it and move on or find another forum. But FFS, stop crying over things which you have no control over because in the end, at the end of crying it doesn't change a damn thing. You know what makes the human race so superior? We live and learn, trial and error. Now...

*HAMMER FIST DOWN*

Case closed, thread closed(when they want to).
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    It's not about the infraction. It's the principle of the thing. There are protocols, rules in place. Mark may not have known that a warning shot across the bow was the protocol, he's new to the job and that's understandable. However, that doesn't make it right.

Mike was not flaunting his ability to tweak noses, he wasn't adding to the poop in the yard. Yet he got dinged when he should have been warned, to my understanding. He's not complaining about the infraction, I am pretty sure he understands exactly what it means and its worth, he, and I, question the principle that is set in stone that was not adhered to. No fault nor anger was addressed to any staff by him, certainly not by me, but guys like us wonder why the breakdown over something so simple.

IF Mark should have warned him, then a simple, "oops, I goofed let me rescind that ding" would have solved the problem after the first go round with staff. Instead, insofar as I am able to discern, the decision to stand behind what seems to be the accidental flub af a new Mod was made. That doesn't seem consistent with the way this site is ordinarily run.

Mike, if I'm off the mark here, sorry, but that's what I've come away with from this mess. And Neal you're right too. kmg should have never started this to begin with, Mike was handling it properly all by his lonesome.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (06-25-2013),arialmt (06-25-2013),Coleslaw007 (06-25-2013),Mike41793 (06-25-2013),rabernet (06-25-2013),satomi325 (06-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    It's not about the infraction. It's the principle of the thing. There are protocols, rules in place. Mark may not have known that a warning shot across the bow was the protocol, he's new to the job and that's understandable. However, that doesn't make it right.

Mike was not flaunting his ability to tweak noses, he wasn't adding to the poop in the yard. Yet he got dinged when he should have been warned, to my understanding. He's not complaining about the infraction, I am pretty sure he understands exactly what it means and its worth, he, and I, question the principle that is set in stone that was not adhered to. No fault nor anger was addressed to any staff by him, certainly not by me, but guys like us wonder why the breakdown over something so simple.

IF Mark should have warned him, then a simple, "oops, I goofed let me rescind that ding" would have solved the problem after the first go round with staff. Instead, insofar as I am able to discern, the decision to stand behind what seems to be the accidental flub af a new Mod was made. That doesn't seem consistent with the way this site is ordinarily run.

Mike, if I'm off the mark here, sorry, but that's what I've come away with from this mess. And Neal you're right too. kmg should have never started this to begin with, Mike was handling it properly all by his lonesome.
    Yea, I wasn't really knocking Mike, well maybe a bit because he did make a fuss about the infraction. More so I trying to get at the point that all of this mess should of never been a public broadcast, and it had nothing to do with KMG. Mike seemed to be dealing with it between the forum staff and it should of been left up there. I don't fault Mark in issuing the infraction because everybody has different opinions on what they consider different things and he was only doing what he thought was right.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast