Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

1 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible solution to low humidity issues???

Being that I live in the desert, I'm always looking for a new way to combat this problem. Tonight someone mentioned an item typically found in a humidor and that made the little hamster wheel turn. Has anyone tried adding one of these, specifically at shed time or just an additional means to increase humidity? Perhaps the smallest one available, enclosed in something slim, made of plastic, and then hidden under the substrate? Seems as though it would be low maintenance, low cost and productive.

Humidifier

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Behold!!!

Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Skatanic (06-24-2013),Stewart_Reptiles (06-24-2013),TerrieL (06-23-2013)

Thanks
    Funny.... I live in the desert with Temps upwards of 110 degrees and humidity in the hi teens low twenties this time of year. and oddly enough, work for a living. While I appreciate the humor <tbh, I didn't> I'm quite actively trying to find a way to deal with an issue that many of us have.

Now, anyone else with a serious reply?

Thanks

Re: Possible solution to low humidity issues???

Quote Originally Posted by MsMissy View Post
    Funny.... I live in the desert with Temps upwards of 110 degrees and humidity in the hi teens low twenties this time of year. and oddly enough, work for a living. While I appreciate the humor <tbh, I didn't> I'm quite actively trying to find a way to deal with an issue that many of us have.

Now, anyone else with a serious reply?
    Not sure I'd mess with the little cigar humidor things. Just get a normal room humidifier. I have one for our bedroom that I use during the winter and it works out well.

Or you could just move...LOL!!!

Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

Thanks
    Moving can't come soon enough... 2 years till full retirement, too much to lose to take it now.

I have a 'normal' room humidifier and while it worked a bit, she's in a large room and I worry about yet one more thing plugged in full time <which was required to hold the tank at just 40%. yes, I know.. plastic. I refuse to do a tub, call me prissy but a tub simply is not going in this room.> This solution just seems to at least give us the desired moisture without sacrificing a lot of heat if nothing else, at least when they shed.

Thanks

Re: Possible solution to low humidity issues???

Quote Originally Posted by MsMissy View Post
    Moving can't come soon enough... 2 years till full retirement, too much to lose to take it now.

I have a 'normal' room humidifier and while it worked a bit, she's in a large room and I worry about yet one more thing plugged in full time <which was required to hold the tank at just 40%. yes, I know.. plastic. I refuse to do a tub, call me prissy but a tub simply is not going in this room.> This solution just seems to at least give us the desired moisture without sacrificing a lot of heat if nothing else, at least when they shed.
    Congrats on your upcoming retirement. As far as the humidor things, I'm not so sure it would work. A humidor is sealed. A bp's tank is not. I'd also be concerned about the thing breaking and the snake getting into the gel stuff. Not sure if that's a valid concern or not, though. I guess I'd also be concerned about having to clean pee and poo out of that thing when they do their business...it's an interesting idea, I just don't know if it's practical.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

Thanks
    A quick search on google wasn't very helpful. Only decent suggestion was houseplants. Apparently the more houseplants you have the higher the humidity will be. Not sure how much that would help being in the desert though.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The bad thing about humidifiers and foggers is bacteria and mold. I'm not sure of the specifics but warm + moist = problems. So if you are going to do a humidifier, a room one would be best, but make sure you clean it out at least once a week with bleach. Also because hard water and stuff like that can complicate those things.

A good way is a spray bottle if you thoroughly spray the tank it'll raise the humidity.

What kind of snake? I'm assuming BP since this is in the section, but you may have more species and what not. So for me to give this next piece of advice for raising your humidity is going to depend on what type of bedding you use, how much and what types of snakes?
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Nagini is an adorable bouncing baby 86g bp. Bedding ='s reptibark + Eco earth, approx 1/2". Because of the ac being on so much this time of year<never turned off> a heat lamp is required to maintain ambient temps. I tried turning it off during the day and the temps plummeted to 76 on the hot side, I shudder to think what the cool side was. I have a humid hide, 2 water dishes and covered the lid with foil and tape. She just went into shed for the first time so now I'm spraying as often as possible to give her over 60%.

Thanks
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast