Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

2 members and 3,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Lightbulb Need some advice! New to ball python!

I just started to get into ball pythons a couple weeks ago. Planning to get some animals at the reptile expo in 2 weeks. Pretty excited about it!
    My plan is to get a male mojave and a female pastel to possibly produce pasteves, pastel and mojaves. Not sure if i should get another normal female to breed with mojave.
    Really need some advice on my first ball pythons!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Need some advice! New to ball python!

Quote Originally Posted by j94712 View Post
    I just started to get into ball pythons a couple weeks ago. Planning to get some animals at the reptile expo in 2 weeks. Pretty excited about it!
    My plan is to get a male mojave and a female pastel to possibly produce pasteves, pastel and mojaves. Not sure if i should get another normal female to breed with mojave.
    Really need some advice on my first ball pythons!!
    I would pick up two females first and raise them up for a year or two and then worry about males. Any male you buy now, will probably be half price by the time your females are up to size. That way you could probably get a 2 gene male for the price you would have paid for a single gene male.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Need some advice! New to ball python!

Also do some research before you go and spend the extra money to get the nicest examples of the morph you chose, you'll be glad you did later! Beyond that, get what you love, because you will be the one feeding and cleaning up after it for years. Even when they leave me a nice big present I still love opening my pied and my POGs tubs.
    Skagit Reptiles

Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice!
    Where can i find good example of a morph?? world of ball pythons?
    What should i look for in a mojave and pastel?

Thanks

Where can i find good example of a morph??
    There's no better way to learn about the variablity in a given morph, than to actually SEE them in person. Pictures NEVER do them justice. There are 'standards' that are generally excepted as being 'better', but you may have a different opinion.
    I'm no expert, so listen to what others tell you - however, with a pastel, I prefer the brightest, deepest yellow that colors most of the body with the brown of the alien heads being as light and as high up on the animal as possible. Some like the black back areas to blush a lot. On a Super Pastel, I agree with that. With a single gene pastel, I prefer LESS blushing. I like the contrast between the black and the yellow. If you're going to use the pastel for future breeding, I'd say go with the more blushing.

The blushing issue is the same with the Mojo. I look for a Mojo with unique patterns and more yellow in the back pattern and more gray/silver in the side pattern. Again, that's what I look for. I don't know what would be better for future breeding.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say. Good question..

Andy -
    Last edited by Andys-Python; 06-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks

I'm hoping to get a Mojave or pastel (if I get super lucky pastave) at the expo. how much do you think a baby morph will go for there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j94712 View Post
    Thanks guys for the advice!
    Where can i find good example of a morph?? world of ball pythons?
    What should i look for in a mojave and pastel?
    Now, there's the problem. No one can agree on what is the best quality. I like bright yellow and tons of blushing on my pastels. As mentioned some people prefer little blushing or a creamier pastel. For mojaves I really am liking the gold blush mojaves from Brian Gundy. Really I like mojaves with tons of blushing and a mostly connected dorsal stripe. I like stripes
    For pastels I have heard and seen that most orange on hatchling will fade to brown so something to be aware of. Other then that, although pictures are not as accurate as seeing it in person look around and see what YOU like in a morph. World of ball pythons is good, I will often watch kingsnake or fauna just to see how different morphs look at different ages, it helps me decide what traits I prefer when I start shopping.
    Skagit Reptiles