Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

4 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hogg Ialsnd Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you - you've given me much to think about
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    How are the temperment on these here Hogg Isle Boas!!??
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    to my knowledge they are much like the Columbians, calm and docile. As long as you handle them like you are suppose to.
    Da Wolf

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf. The strength of the wolf is in the pack." Rudyard Kipling 1894

1.0 Ball Python (Zeus)
    1.0 Jungle Python (Apollo)

Thanks
    They are very similar to the Colombians but tend to be a little more attentive to movements in the cage and will track movements more than my Colombians. My two females are also like to make some pretty threatening hissing sounds when you try to take them out. They have NEVER lunged or struck though. It's all a big bluff. Once out of the cage they are as docile as any of the other snakes.
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What's their activity level like say compared to a ball python? When out of the cage I'm assuming they are slow moving?
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    They are not as shy as BPs so you do see them more often cruisnging the cage. They are docile out of the cage, but love to cruise and explore.
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ball python burns and rat bites

That's what I was thinking/hoping. I can't imagine a snake more shy than a BP - but I still love my little guy!

If I got an '04 Hogg, what would be the minimum starter cage size and how long would that last? What's the average size of a hatchling/yearling?

Are Hoggs easily handleable by one person when they are adults? What's an average male adult weight? I keep trying to picture it's adult size compared to a Ball Python.

And finally, what temps and humidity do you keep yours at?

Thanks.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks

im from canada and i need a snake eh

Let see.... minimum starter cage.... 20 gallon glass breeder (critter cage) with a sliding screen top. I would recommend biting the bullet and getting a 40 breeder and getting some extra hides. That will last you a lot longer and cost you less in the long haul. A 20 will last about six - nine months, the 40 gal will last for around 2 years depending on the growth rate of the indvidual snake.
    I keep my HIs a couple of degrees cooler than my Colombians, 85-87°, instead of the Col's 86-88°. Humidity levels are the same though... 50-60% is the normal range.
    Being shorter and lighter bodied than a Colombian they can be handled by most people.
    Simba, The Lion King

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you. That is of great help.

I've been looking into this species and was wondering if anyone had a pic of an adult (preferably male) with something to reference their size? In particular, I'm trying to visualize how 'thick' an adult male gets. I've never seen one in person and have only seen pics - but the pics don't offer me an idea of how thick they are.

If noone has any pics, perhaps you can try to give me an idea by comparing it's size to a standard object (like: as thick as a waterhose, the large end of a baseball bat, a bowling ball, etc).

Hope this isn't asking too much - I'm just trying to visualize one. What few snakes I've seen in real life are often small young ones so I've not seen many adults of any species.

It has been my understanding that there is a substantial difference in size between the males and females - am I correct?

Also, I've found a few online Hogg breeders and one in particular sells Normal, Reduced Pattern and Hypo Hoggs. Are the later 2 types normal color variations that occur in the wild or were they created through captive breeding (and if so are these pure HOggs not crossed with any other species)?

Thanks!
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    A male will get roughly as big around as a Coke can.

Jeff over at the Boaphile.com just had a little of some totally gorgeous Sears line Hog Islands.... if you are serious about a Hog go with Jeff you can not go wrong with him.
    Simba, The Lion King

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast