Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,446

1 members and 2,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

hatchling came out to early!

Check on my eggs last night and 2 had piped so i left them and went to bed. Checked this morning and 1 was nearly all the way out the egg with its cord still attached, i didn't like the look of it but hoped it would go back inside. just checked now and its all the way out with about 1inch of cord left on it and hasnt absorbed all the yolk. Its was 38g and looks pretty small.

So far all i've done is that it old the egg box and put it in the hatchling rack on wet paper towel.

what should i do next? I'm thinking all i can do is wait for it to shed go from there but just wanted to check with you guys.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Can you take a photo?

Make sure the yolk stays WET. I'd put it back into the incubator at 100% humidity.

I have heard of people who tie of the umbilicul chord, and then take the yolk and feed it with a syringe to the hatchling down its throat. I have never ever done that, so I can't advise either way. It may be worth looking into though.

for now, make sure it stays wet. once the umbilical chord dries out, it's impssible for the snake to continue to feed off of the yolk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

hatchling came out to early!

Please take a photo. One inch of cord doesn't sound right if there's still a yolk sac attached, sounds more like just a piece of cord, which isn't abnormal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    sorry guys, crap with computers so haven't got a clue how to post a pic.

think i might have confused you the yolk was still in the egg but the snake was out. it was no longer attached but did have 1 inch of cord left on it. it seems fine at the moment.

Thanks

Re: hatchling came out to early!

hope this helps someone. first hatchling pip. so I cut the rest of the eggs. I had a hatchling that was twisted up with it's cord. I decided that I couldn't fix this in the egg. so I removed the hatchling with the yolk sac. placed the hatchling, yolk sac and the remaining fluid from the egg into a deli cup. the deli cup was used to help keep the hatchling from moving around as much as possible. the fluid from the egg was to help if the hatchling decided to move, so the sac wouldn't stick to the deli cup. I also added a very small amount of distilled water that I keep in the incubator. the deli cup had air holes in it and I placed it back inside the incubator until it lost it's cord just like it's siblings. the hatchling is fine and eating on it's own. this is just a option that I already had planned out if I didn't think I could fix a problem with the cord in the egg. anyone can hatch eggs, but are you ready for when things go wrong. and when we removed that hatchling from the egg. that was our last option on what to do not the first. always keep a hatchling in it's egg if all possible. next time, it will still be out last option even with us having a good result with it. I hope this might help someone who is considering breeding or new at breeding, to learn more than what I need to do to hatch eggs. that part is not hard. don

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (06-22-2013),GalaxyMom (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: hatchling came out to early!

This year we had a hatchling die on us within a day of coming out of the egg. He/She was small, and there was some yolk that was not absorbed. He/She was just trucking around the tank, and when we came back from work, had died. We were inexperienced, so I don't know what else we could have done. I am assuming the death was because the snake came out about 2 days before its siblings.
    1.0 Pastel 66% het pied (Kingston)
    1.0 Specter (Forge)
    1.0 Super Fire (Oberon)
    1.1 Pinstripe (Jasper, Jezebel)
    1.1 Lesser (Paris, Isabelle)
    1.1 Black Pastel het ghost (Titus, Drusilla)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Havana)
    0.1 Spider (Arachne)
    0.1 Albino (Corena)
    0.1 Mojave (Brighton)
    0.2 Normal (Jeshikah, Aurora)
    0.1 Het Ghost (Verity)
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly (Bagheera)
    0.1 ??? Firefly or Pastel Disco (Ditze Vonteaze)
    0.1 Lemonblast (Limona)
    0.1 Yellowbelly (Ghana)
    0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost (Varekai)
    1.0 Jungle Carpet (Dayah)
    1.0 Hognose (Pepper)
    1.0 Banana Albino Cal King (Anuk)
    0.1 Albino RTB (Spooky)