Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

4 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Well to the best of my knowledge. I now have 3 colony's. An entire new one with 2 preg females and 1 male that were together already I got my from my breeder buddy. My own with 6 females and 1 male. And then that brindle male and 1 female to experiment.

Thanks

Re: plug? scab? decapitated testies?

I am having a similar problem with my mice. This is the first time I have bred mice. I asked the breeder for 3 females and 1 male and they were all small (barely weaned). One day last week I noticed it looks like two of them have testes. I didn't worry about it. Then yesterday I found one that looked like it had something like the pics from the OP. 'Then this morning there is something hanging out of the backend of the mouse. Its pretty gross. I have separated it from the rest of them. Now I have no idea what to do.
    0.1 Spider - Penny
    0.2 Normal -Priscilla and Amy
    1.1 Pastel YB - Raj and Regina
    1.0 YB - Bugz
    1.0 Orange Ghost - Lion - O
    0.1 Hog Island - Carmen

0.1 Cocker Spaniel - Clover

"It's bad luck to be superstitious"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blaz View Post
    I am having a similar problem with my mice. This is the first time I have bred mice. I asked the breeder for 3 females and 1 male and they were all small (barely weaned). One day last week I noticed it looks like two of them have testes. I didn't worry about it. Then yesterday I found one that looked like it had something like the pics from the OP. 'Then this morning there is something hanging out of the backend of the mouse. Its pretty gross. I have separated it from the rest of them. Now I have no idea what to do.
    I'd just feed that male off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

blaz (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    Personally, I'd feed off both males. The injured one because he's not terribly useful as a breeder at this point, and the attack mouse because he could potentially go cannibalistic, although I'm not sure how likely that is from normal male territorial castration.

I also don't keep mice (yet) so my opinion doesn't count for much, but it's a thought.

Satomi, what's your experience with territorial males going cannibal?
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

blaz (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post

Satomi, what's your experience with territorial males going cannibal?
    With my personal experience, I haven't had any cannibalistic incident yet. However, I don't keep males together either.

Castrating rival males is just part of being the dominant mouse and fighting for his right to breed. There is probably very little correlation between castrating and offspring cannibalism. Killing offspring is counterproductive for the male who is trying to pass on his genes, which is the point of breeding.

With that said, cannibalism/aggression could be genetic in some lines and sometimes its environmental. I just play it safe and keep males apart and feed off any that show cannibalistic tendencies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (07-21-2013),blaz (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll usually raise up groups of males together that are all siblings from the same litter and they're 'usually' okay with their own littermates, but even then I've seen some start castrating each other. But if I produce one that I want to use as a breeder I'll raise him by himself or more usually with a group of females.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

blaz (07-22-2013)

Thanks

I have decided I am just going to feed off all of the mice to make room for more rats. All but 2 of my snakes are taking rats anyway and having two types of rodents just isn't practical with the space I have. Thanks so much everyone and sorry if I hijacked your thread OP.
    0.1 Spider - Penny
    0.2 Normal -Priscilla and Amy
    1.1 Pastel YB - Raj and Regina
    1.0 YB - Bugz
    1.0 Orange Ghost - Lion - O
    0.1 Hog Island - Carmen

0.1 Cocker Spaniel - Clover

"It's bad luck to be superstitious"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12