Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

1 members and 2,900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation New Ball Python Owner, need advice pleasee.

I got my new baby Ball Python yesterday and I chose her because she was lovely and friendly. When I first held her she was totally calm and happy to be held. Since I got her home till now, she hasn't been in her hide. I'm keeping her in a faunarium with the correct floor material (bark), large water bowl, good sized hide and an ordinary under floor heat mat that covers half the faunarium. I changed her water and she was totally fine with my hand being in there and I held her to show her where her hide was. When I held her she didn't seem stressed at all, she wasn't in a ball and was happy to be held. She explores her hide but dosn't settle in there. I'm really confused because she dosn't seem really stressed. Need advice please D:
    P.s - I think the temperature is ok, maybe the bark is too thick? not sure help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You need a tstat to regulate the temp of the uth. The substrate then needs to be about 1/4 inch. What kind of bark is it? Bark can usually be moved rather easy and the snake can lay directly on the cage floor that WILL be to hot with a unregulated uth, which can really hurt your snake.

When you say good size hide do you mean it is a good size for the snake or good size as in large. It needs to be snug for your ball. Touching all sides is usually what you want.

You say you think the temp is good which means you don't know them, right? You need to monitor the temps. Best case is being able to monitor ambient and surface throughout the cage. A good mounted thermometer and a IR thermometer are great tools for this hobby.
    Last edited by KMG; 06-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-13-2013)

Thanks

Smile

I have a thermometer but I worry about it's accuracy haha. My thermometer says its about 70 near the cool side. So if its too hot or cold, how can you alter heat with a uth? Thinking about it my bark is quite thick so it might help. I got the small hide but it has quite a big opening, I have a smaller one for my corn snake so I could swap them.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    A uth does not effect your ambient temps. Below 76 is getting way to low. You will need to add a heat lamp, radiant heat panel, or heat the room to raise your ambient temps. I don't know what kind of cage that is you have so I don't know the best thing to suggest.
    KMG

Thanks

Talking

Okay, thank you very much, I will take some bark out (as I have about an inch) and see how the temperature improves tomorrow.

Thanks
    Removing substrate is not a smart move. Without a thermostat the uth is WAY to HOT and removing the substrate will allow more heat to reach the snake and could badly burn your snake.

Your uth is NOT going to raise your temps. You need another heat source. Removing the substrate is not going to do anything but put your snake at greater risk.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet
    Last edited by KMG; 06-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    KMG

Thanks

Question Re: New Ball Python Owner, need advice pleasee.

Okay, What do you suggest? I'm unable to fit a heat lamp in. I can't get anything right now because they are closed but what could I get? And can you just get ordinary thermostats in supermarkets?
    Sorry about this, he's my first ball.

Thanks
    If a heat lamp will not fit you may need to get a radiant heat panel ( http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=55&Itemid=59 ). This will also require a thermostat (tstat). I love these http://www.spyderrobotics.com/store/ .

I would highly doubt you will find a good tstat loacally or be able to get a proper rhp.

Post a pic or link of what the cage you have is so I can give you a suggestion.
    KMG

Thanks
    I have one of my balls in an exo terra tank and use a heat emitter to raise the ambient temp. The heat emitters are better than the heat lights imo because you can leave them on all day and night without interrupting the animal's light cycle. Even with a heat emitter though you need to have a way to control it because they get very HOT. I use a lamp dimmer to control the heat emitter and a thermostat to control the UTH. You can find most of what you need at http://www.reptilebasics.com/. You should be able to find a lamp dimmer at your local walmart or hardware store.

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Owner, need advice pleasee.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoonExotics View Post
    I have one of my balls in an exo terra tank and use a heat emitter to raise the ambient temp. The heat emitters are better than the heat lights imo because you can leave them on all day and night without interrupting the animal's light cycle. Even with a heat emitter though you need to have a way to control it because they get very HOT. I use a lamp dimmer to control the heat emitter and a thermostat to control the UTH. You can find most of what you need at http://www.reptilebasics.com/. You should be able to find a lamp dimmer at your local walmart or hardware store.
    Sounds like you are talking about a ceramic heat element. They are great but just like a heat bulb would need to have a cage around the unit if ever used inside a cage. I have one that runs 24/7 and just hit a year old.
    KMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast