Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,148

1 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

feeding contraption

So if been having this issue with our mice and rats. We put a food dish in the cage and they spill it right away or scatter it everywhere. What can I do to prevent this? We are using aquariums and plastic tubs. The idea of food over head like in a breeder rack is nice where they have to pull it through but not sure how to do anything like that or even something similar.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I only have a few live rats at any given time because I only have 1 snake that eats live. I used to keep a food bowl in the cage, but I found they just pooped in the food bowl. Now I just toss a handful of food directly onto the shavings and got rid of the bowl. Even with the overhead method, once the food is smalle nogh it falls through and lands on the shavings - so it's the same result.

Thanks
    I don't have a picture of it right now, but i made a, for lack of a better word, basket out of 1/2" mesh with a couple hooks out of stiff wire so i could hang it in the holding tank i use for rats. just a six sided box with and end i can open to refill. Has worked great for me except some of them like to sit on top of it and sleep.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's what they do, the only thing to prevent this is having them chew their food through hardware cloth.

This will help with your problem http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-detailed-pics!!!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: feeding contraption

I actually tried so many different types of bowls for my asfs, i just gave up trying to put food in them. Sometimes they would scatter the food, but all the time they would just sit in the food bowl and pee in the food. So, every other day or so i had half a bowl of soggy pee laden kibble. So i just said screw it and throw the food right onto the bedding and let them have at it pee or not.

sent from my incubator
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I built hoppers out of 1/2 mesh that hang on the side of the tanks (for the rats that are in tanks anyway). They measure 9 squares wide and 3 squares deep. I have a top on them that is only attached on one side that I can flip up to fill. I started off using a twist-tie to keep it closed, but the rats would chew through it. They weren't smart enough to open the top and get food that way, so I just left it.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks
    Thanks Deborah! Thats what I had in mind. Now question two. What kind of food is that, that person is using??? I can't find anything with large nuggets anywhere like that feed mill or tractor supply. I was told pig feed but I can only find pellets

Thanks

Red face Re: feeding contraption

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    That's what they do, the only thing to prevent this is having them chew their food through hardware cloth.

This will help with your problem http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-detailed-pics!!!
    Almost exactly what I made, now i just need to make one for my asf's that are in the rack. I'm not a big fan of just dropping the food in as I can never tell if they are truly out or just hiding it.

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarbass1 View Post
    Thanks Deborah! Thats what I had in mind. Now question two. What kind of food is that, that person is using??? I can't find anything with large nuggets anywhere like that feed mill or tractor supply. I was told pig feed but I can only find pellets
    I get Lab Diet rodent food at a local feed store. Around here they just call it rodent pellets even though they are a bit big to be called pellets. I could get the mazuri from the local reptile expo, but it's actually a tiny bit cheaper for the lab diet locally. I think the Mazuri rodent diet is available online but I don't know from who.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Wow! I actually looked at that thread n i may consider makin a few of those hoppers! My asfs do go through a lot food...about 5lbs every month

sent from my incubator
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast