Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,280

3 members and 2,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Thumbs up Parent Appreciation Thread!

So, I'm turning 21 tomorrow. And I wanted to share how full of gratitude I am toward my parents and others like mine that have done their absolute best to raise wonderful kids (not to toot my own horn or anything).

In the 21 years and 9 months since my conception, everything that my parents have done has been for myself and for my two sisters who came after me. Even when things were hard, they did everything they could to make sure we had a decent quality of life. For many years, my father worked lots of overtime to provide for the family. My mom's not the greatest of cooks, but somehow she manages to feed my picky father, myself and my fellow omnivore sister, and my vegetarian youngest sis. And she's recently been through a surgery that prevents her from eating the way she used to, but she always manages to put food on the table for the rest of us, even if she's not feeling up to eating.

Last night, my youngest sister graduated from high school. All of their little girls are adults now, trying their hand at college and the world. My sisters are shining stars, excelling at classes and participating in extracurriculars-- the middle one is an RA at her university and has the rest of her college career planned out to the hour with 45 credit hours already under her belt going into her sophomore year. She's doing research for her PH. D already. And my youngest chose her university and will be traveling between there and home almost every weekend to participate in the region's most proclaimed color guard.

And me... well, as the oldest, I was the "guinea pig". Compounding that with multiple mental illnesses, I know I'm a challenge on my parents. I moved back in with them after a severe medical issue several months ago, and was welcomed with open arms, despite my flunking out of college and having panic attacks almost every day. I wouldn't have gotten as far in my recovery as I have without my parents' complete support. And on top of it, they've done everything they can to accept my passion for reptiles, despite being very leery of the idea for a long time. Magnus and Rhaegal have helped me so much on my road of recovery, and my parents see that and want me to continue with my born-again plans for herp-keeping and animal education at the local zoo.

So cheers to my parents, without whom I wouldn't have reached the age of 21.

Please feel free to share your uplifting stories of your parents and guardians, family members, what have you. I was just overwhelmed with this desire to share my gratitude with a community that's been just as supportive in its own way.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (06-09-2013),carlson (06-07-2013),DooLittle (06-07-2013),h00blah (06-08-2013),rlditmars (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Parent Appreciation Thread!

I could make a wholeeee thread about them, wouldn't be appreciation though lmao
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Hah, yeah I know I got lucky. Now, that's not to say my parents and I NEVER butted heads-- my teenage years were not so great sometimes, but that was mostly my illnesses talking and my parents not knowing what that meant. No blame now that we all understand a little better what's going on.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 06-07-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: language slipped-- don't want another infraction! Hah
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Parent Appreciation Thread!

I think it is really great for you to have felt appreciative and as strongly as you do to post this thread. That in and of itself speaks volumns about the job your parents have done with you and the person you have become. Kudos to you all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Parent Appreciation Thread!

Happy birthday, Ava!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~