Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,997

2 members and 2,995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Condensation Help?

So I made Magnus some new DIY hides because he was getting large enough to scrape up a few scales on his back from trying to cram himself into his old ones. His warm-side hide is an old toolbox that I scrubbed out and filed down, and the cool side has a plastic bowl my mother was willing to part with from our kitchen. They're tall, roomy, and dark, and he seems comfortable using them as hides. My only concern is that the toolbox hide gathers a lot of condensation on the
    inside, causing water to drip back down into the enclosure and often right onto the animal. I think it's because it's on the warm side and water from the Eco-Earth is slowly evaporating off the UTH and getting trapped. I don't seem to have the same issue with the cool side bowl.

My temps are good, my humidity has always been good until now. I really don't want Magnus sitting in a puddle every time he wants to warm up. I was considering lining the inside of the toolbox with felt or something similar to prevent water droplets from forming. Any suggestions?
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    What is your enclosure? Screen top tank? AP T8? ? If it's getting that humid and condensing without a temp drop then try to increase ventilation.

Thanks
    It's a screen-top 40-gallon breeder, I have the front half wrapped off because I had an issue with losing humidity too quickly several months back. I guess I could remove that, although I feel like I'll be struggling again with keeping humidity up after that.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just put a few small holes in it for the water vapor to escape

Thanks
    Like Ricky said, I would remove some of it or make someholes and monitor the humidity to see if you can get it where it should be.